What's new

Who owns dvd rights to these shows (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Most of these are cartoons, and i assume i'm right that warner owns tiny toons and animainiacs.
he-man
bravestar
thundercats
teenage mutant ninja turtles
voltron
ducktales
darkwing duck
talespin
chip and dale's rescue rangers
xmen
spiderman
family matters
full house
step by step
what are the chances of any of these coming to dvd, and who owns the rights?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Not 100% sure about all of these...
He-Man: Hallmark Entertainment, at least in part; they could release this through Artisan
Bravestarr: Hallmark Entertainment, at least in part; they could release this through Artisan
Thundercats: Warner
TMNT: Columbia/Tri-Star produced the series; not sure if they have the DVD rights
Voltron: World Events Productions, I believe
Ducktales: Disney
Darkwing Duck: Disney
Talespin: Disney
Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers: Disney
X-Men: Universal
Spider-Man: Disney; I believe this was part of the recent Fox Family Worldwide purchase
Family Matters: Warner
Full House: Warner
Step By Step: Warner
There are already a couple of X-Men DVDs.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
he-man- Hallmark wants to sell the entire Filmation library to someone at a huge price. Otherwise Rhino is rumored to have wanted to pick this up some time ago
teenage mutant ninja turtles- Rights to TMNT have lapsed, I don't know if they can still release this
voltron- Trimark
ducktales-Disney
darkwing duck- Disney
talespin- Disney
chip and dale's rescue rangers- Disney
xmen- Universal
spiderman- Fox

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Quite a few companies have been interested in acquiring Masters of the Universe. You're right about the price -- Hallmark is asking for an astronomical amount of money and won't license off individual programs. As far as I know, the extent of their use of the library extends to t-shirts and airing Fat Albert on their Odyssey/Hallmark channel.
I'm pretty sure Fox doesn't have the rights to Spider-Man anymore, or at least, they won't have them in 3-4 months when the deal with Disney closes.
Edit - ah, here's the quote I was looking for:
From http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/07/23/deals/fox_disney/ --
Disney also gets rights to 6,500 episodes of animated and live-action children's and family-friendly programming from the Saban Library and Entertainment Productions business, owned by Fox Family Worldwide co-owner Haim Saban. Those programs include Might Morphin Power Rangers, Digimon, Beattleborgs and Spiderman.
------------------
[Edited last by Adam Tyner on July 30, 2001 at 08:01 AM]

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Oh, the '67 cartoon? Sorry about that. I assumed the original poster meant something more recent, judging from the other series he asked about.
The '80s incarnations of Spider-Man and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends were apparently part of the deal made with Disney as well.
------------------

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yah the more recent spider man, i'd forgottne about the eighties version, and wasn't aware of an earlier one.
on the note of older shows though, who owns the rights to
beverly hillbillies
andy griffth
hogan's heroes
bewitched
i dream of jeanie
gilligans island

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
There are Andy Griffith DVDs released by UAV Entertainment (formerly known as Brentwood), Delta Entertianment and Madacy.
You can also find some Beverly Hillbillies DVDs released by Madacy.
Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks