What's new

Who needs a Wonka when there is a Buffy! (1 Viewer)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
And it's no longer understandable what a vampire-slayer actually is. OK, Buffy can perform some karate-kicks. But why she "slays" those vampires (who are all looking the same with a angry-look hump on their foreheads) escapes the viewer. Except, of course, that it's because she is a vampire slayer...

Vampires are slayed because they are demons. But this line of 'Are ALL Vampires inherently evil' is constantly being pushed - in seasons 1,2 by Angel and in seasons 4 and 5 by Spike.
I highly recomend you find someone with VHS tapes (or DVD in England) and check out a few random episodes. I dont think its what you are expecting.
JQ

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Not to offend anyone, but the TV series is mainly aimed at 13-16 yrs olds.
You know, kids in a house, no parents. Parents when shown idiotic anyway. Kids much smarter and know things.
I find it amusing that nobody else seems to agree with Cees on this... except me! Probably 'cause they feel disparaged by being bundled in the 13-16 category.
laugh.gif

Buffy is a fine show, with a couple of standout episodes (particularly the one where no one can speak, and the aforementioned Buffy's Mum's death ep). But let's not delude ourselves: it is aimed fairly and squarely at the mid-teen audience. For the older viewers (i.e. me), they've thrown in some decent supporting characters (e.g. Spike & The Master vampire), but the core "gang" are pretty insipid.
Basically the "love" sub-plots are the same predictable teenage mush you'd find in any Australian soap opera. And the "Buffy-speak" has become highly annoying (bring back Bill-and-Ted-speak!). It's not so much smart as "trying to be smart".
Don't read the above as too negative. Overall, I do like Buffy, a lot. But it is very far from the perfect TV show people think it is. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You're...comparing....Buffy...to and AUSTRALIAN SOAP?
I've seen those, they are horrific!
While I don't find Willow&Tara's relationship near as fufilling as I'd like it to be (I felt the Willow/Oz was a better match) Buffy/Angel is about as close to true love as I've ever seen on television. It never seems forced or acted, and is kept very sparing.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
I can see how this is looking like a Buffy love-in, but it's all very accurate. I used to think the show was another spin on the teen theme, especially it being on the WB. It'd be on in the background while I surfed the net at home as my brother (21 or so) watched it during season 2.
Season 3 really hooked me with excellent acting, characters, and unmatched use of subtelty and contrast in everything the show did - themes to characters to dialogue.
So, what's bad about this show? Very little. Why doesn't it please everyone all the time? Well, if you're flipping through it, or even watching a full episode or two (depending on which one you land on) I can fully understand getting the impression it's a teenage-angst fest. It isn't but during the "high-school years" there was some of that going on. Again, it is handled expertly, as opposed to the likes of Dawson's Creek or what have you.
Secondly, and much more importantly, this show is like Sci-Fi. Granted, VERY good Sci-Fi, but the end effect is the same. That is, it attracts and spawns cult audiences. And this touches on an earlier "You get it or you don't" comment. Buffy makes in-depth use of fantasy, in the setting, and then uses that setting to tactfully exaggerate, highlight, compare, contrast, and enhance whatever theme or human condition it deals with in the story. Where this is the strength of the show, it also means if you're not "in to" the sci-fi/horror/fantasy thing, you won't be able to access the subtleties of the show, which is where the quality lies.
An analogy I like is this: Imagine Star Trek with unbelievably great acting, characters and writing in almost every single episode. Still, if you're not into the whole sci-fi/Star Trek thing, you won't care. It won't reach you. So, Buffy's greatest strength is also one of the reasons, perhaps the biggest, why a lot of people just can't "tune-in."
So, if you think you can get past that, please watch a couple weeks worth of episodes. You won't regret it.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I urge everyone to watch Buffy when it hits FX, but don't let the First season get you down. It seems a bit too teenage stuff there, but the second season is really good, and the show mature's every season, much like the characters ages.
In the first season it is a fluffy little teenage show, but the characters are teenagers.
In the second season the teens experience love and loss, much like teens in highschool would.
In season 3 the characters are graduating and moving along in life.
In season 4 (the weakest of all the seasons, but still good) the characters are on their own, and moving in seperate directions.
In season 5 we get the full blown character shit. Characters are hurt, killed, and basically destroyed more than any other season and this was definately a season about loss.
Supposedly the Theme of Season 6 will be about growning up and change, which is the perfect road.
Also the show probably has such good writing because Joss whedon reads each and every script before he approves, and even puts his own little touches in there, and therefore all the episodes are mostly tied together.
I think this show is much more than a teenage show. It is something that everyone should see.
Hell, my mom began watching in the middle of the fifth season and got hooked. And she's almost 50!
She can't wait for the next season.
And I have to admit, when I saw the second season I didn't really get into it, but seeing the re-runs during the summer and seeing season 3 I got hooked, and thankfully have seen every episode.
Watch the re-runs on FX and keep with it, you might be surprised by what you see.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I think all the reasons above, plus the title 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' puts people off. But this show is not 'aimed' at 13-16 year olds. Maybe it was in season 1, but definitly not these days. Sure, the love stories in season 2 seem a little...sophmoric, but thats what happens in high school. Since then Buffy has become a much for stable program in respect to relationships.
I urge everyone to tune in this season - esp. episode 6 which should air in mid november. We're all in for a treat then.
JQ

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Sci-Fi? I have to argue that point. Sci-Fi its not.
Science fiction involves using science as a necessary part of the plot. Most SF shows take place in the future for that very reaason. Objects can be 'made up' through the development of science. I don't see any of that in the series, unless we're talking witchcraft. Oh, wait. No, that won't make it either.
Yes, I have seen every episode, but that's only because I have the time to do this. It is geared towards the 13-16 year old crowd. That is the WB's trademark. Maybe that will change this fall, but that has yet to be seen.
I know that it is easy to get all wrapped up in the characters, but I think that most of you 'can't see the forest for the trees', as they say. The romantic relationships between some of the characters is just like a soap opera. The only difference from the daytime ones is that this is geared for teens. Some of the dialogue is the same as for Dawson's Creek or Felicity.
Glenn

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
No one ever said it was literally sci-fi. The point was that Buffy falls into that sci-fi/fantasy/horror realm which mainstream critics love to look down upon as "irrelevant". Except that's where Buffy's strength lies: it's steeped in metaphor and as a philosopher once said, "No one knows what the hell a metaphor is anymore." :)
I know that it is easy to get all wrapped up in the characters, but I think that most of you 'can't see the forest for the trees', as they say. The romantic relationships between some of the characters is just like a soap opera. The only difference from the daytime ones is that this is geared for teens. Some of the dialogue is the same as for Dawson's Creek or Felicity.
*L* The dialogue ain't the same as Dawson's Creek or Felicity. I can't stand those shows but I've been subjected to them enough to know that for a fact :)
This last paragraph does make me think that you've missed the appeal of the show. It's not because of being wrapped up in the characters or the soap opera elements, although these do exist. The heart of the show is mythology, just like Joseph Campbell used to talk about.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Yes, I have seen every episode, but that's only because I have the time to do this. It is geared towards the 13-16 year old crowd. That is the WB's trademark

I dont mean to get hostile, but even if the WBs 'trademark' were shows geared for 13-16 year olds, that argument doesnt stand up for Buffy, and makes me think that you 'can't see the forest for the trees' with regard to Buffy being a unique entity on WB. WB execs have NOTHING to do with your average Buffy script. The only thing WB controls is extremities of, violence, for example. They dont say - episode 3 will be about the first time buffy is left home alone - go write the script, Joss.
What evidence is there to support these '13-16' year old claims? If you watch an episode of Dawsons Creek and an episode of Buffy the dialogue is light years apart, as are the relationships of the characters.
And the claim that Buffy is geared towards 13-16 year olds simply becuase its on a network that is geared towards that age group makes me think you have missed the entire point of Buffy and is just silly.
Again, not doing any attacking here...everything is IMO.
JQ

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm first going to thank Mr. Sheets for his observant post -he actually read what I wrote.
I didn't say Buffy was sci-fi, I said it is in the same genre, and employs very much of the same dramatic, theatrical and genre-specific devices that sci-fi does. That it happens to be in the "fantasy" or "horror" category of the genre makes no difference at all.
Buffy may not make up devices based on speculation of future technology and then incorporate them as part of the story, but it most certainly does the EXACT same thing within the fantasy/horror side of it. And as I was saying, it does it far, far, better than the average sci-fi show. The use of the setting to present, exaggerate, emphasize, and analyze the human condition in Buffy is unmatched in any other TV show I've ever seen.
Now, I am a huge Sci-Fi fan. To me, "good sci-fi" isn't simply throwing cool techno-speculation at me. Cleopatra 3000 or whatever just doesn't do it for me. Deep Space Nine, on the other hand (or TNG did a great job at incorporating their settings into the morals of the story, to emphasize issues and contrast concepts with characters or against our own time or current understanding of things.
As much as I like these shows, Buffy employs these same dramatic devices even better than the Trek shows did, and the exact time period or "physical" nature of them (be it futuristic technology or magical elements)is irrelevant.
The shows are very similar in this respect, which happens to be the main crux of these same shows. Hence, ST:TNG or DS9 are crap without effective character development, consistency, and tactful analysis of what we (humans) "are." If they did a crappy job of these things, they'd be nothing more than Voyager, or worse yet, Cleopatra 3000 or something.
In comparasin, filter out all the good in Buffy (Yes Jeff, we'd need a HUGE filter :))and you'd have something like Sheena or whatever.
The defense does not rest.
wink.gif

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Hah Obi, just keep in mind that the first season is no where near what S2 and byond are in terms of drama. I'm sure that once you watch, you won't be able to stop. You'll have to wait until the syndication cycle hits the S2 premiere :P
The power of Joss compels you! The power of Joss compels you!
Jeff Kleist

CoreyII

Second Unit
Man, Im surprised Jason Seaver hasn't jumped into this forum yet, him and Jason Quillen are two of the premier Buffyologists over at the Eternal Buffytastic Forum.
Anyway I have to agree with mostly everyone defending the show Buffy is an incredible series and is definitely not targeted exclusively to the teenyboper crowd and neither is Angel.
Buffy like Highlander the series took essence of the movie and took the idea in a much better direction.
I've always equated the show to watching a live action Marvel Comic series. As a matter of fact I've mentioned before that to me Buffy is the closet thing one will ever get to seeing Spider-Man the television series.
I mean her powers are very similar to Spidey's (enhanced strength, reflexes, agility, healing and stamina) except she can't climb walls.
But just like the earlier classic works of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Buffy like Spider-Man not only presents a story about an induvidual with extraordinary powers but also how having these abilities have changed their lives and what their responsiblilty is to those powers.
Like the classic Spidey comics, Joss Whedon beautifully weaves the trials,tribulations, and responsibility of growing up with the even greater responsibility of sacrifice for the greater good of all.
Buffy addresses so many issues against a fanstasy background: loyalty to one's friends, family, and commuity, being truthful to yourself and others, maturity, immaturity, the pains of love and death. Buffy in many ways is the female Peter Parker.
It's truly is one of the best shows on television along with Angel. But as much as like the show I don't know if I would say its better than Star Trek: TNG or DS9 or some of David E.Kelly's work, but I would say it definitely deserves to stand alongside those other shows.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Oh, and by the way, as much as I love Buffy, I think Blade would kick her butt in a straight out fist fight.

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
Simply put, Buffy is the best written show on television today.
My wife and I (34 & 36) have watched it from the beginning. We both hated the movie (as did creator of the movie and the television show Wheadon), and my wife was definitely against watching the series. By the end of the first episode, she was hooked! The writing and themes on the show are unmatched. But more than that, we love the show because Joss is constantly mixing things up. I can't count how many times something has happened in the series where my wife and I have been completely shocked at the events - our jaws hit the floor! Joss never settles for keeping things steady. Just as soon as we think we have a handle on what's happening, how the characters relate, etc., he throws a spanner in the works.
Every Tuesday night we'd sit down in front of the VCR (need to get the kids to bed) - now TiVo - with our "Buffy-lo" wings and enjoy an hour (two if you count Angel - another excellent series) of excellent television.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched almost all of them (the last season was an absolute belter) but it's finished on Sky Digital for the summer.
The endinf of the last season over hear was amazing (Spoiler:when Buffy Died??? Is there another season in the States yet or does anybody know what's next... or was that the last?
Sorry if I'm the only one who hasn't heard the answer to this!
blush.gif

------------------
stewart

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Looks like I'm going to have to start watching this series when it hits FX in September. I will say that the title threw me off and that I never took it seriously. But what's being said here makes me at least a bit curious.
This appears to be a project for the new PVR I received with my DishNetwork subscription.
Thanks for the heads up.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks