Who needs a Wonka when there is a Buffy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert George, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

The original Buffy has finaly made it to DVD, and Fox has done their usual fine job with the disc. The transfer lacks the usual contrast levels of the average video transfer, but the overall look on a properly setup system is very film-like. And Kristy Swanson is still the hottest looking vampire slayer in my book [​IMG]. Check it out...
    Obi's Reviews
    [Edited last by Robert George on August 22, 2001 at 07:07 PM]

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Who needs a Wonka when there is a CTS anamorphic Fly Away Home SE? [​IMG]

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Robert, my thoughts exactly. Besides, I have the old Wonka anyway, but I can't wait for the Buffy movie! It's too bad that the series couldn't have followed the movie a little closer.

4. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Glenn that's blasphemy.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Glenn! Thou hath praised the soiled, demon-tainted output of Our Lord Whedon(which I admit, I'm buying anyway) over his divine and perfect televised creation. 50 Hail Josses for you!
    Jeff "High Priest o' Joss" Kleist

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, the devine and perfect creation is Kristy Swanson.

7. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Okay, someone help me out. I confess I have never seen the Buffy TV series. I have found this show has some pretty devoted fans. So, what's the deal?

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Robert, the simplest way to put it, 'Buffy' is bar none THE finest show on televeision! On a consistency level, every episode diplays solid acting, writing, production values, the works! IMHO it beats The Sopranos hands down in almost every respect. This is not just me talking, just about every television critic has lavished praise on this show, and i'm sorry you've been missing it.
    And as far as Kristy Swanson goes, trust me when I tell you that she can't hold a candle to Sarah Michell Gellar! SMG plays Buffy with increasing maturity. She went from a young valley girl who kills vampires, to a mature and tough young woman who kills vampires. The show is not all gouls and goblins either. Just last season, an epsode depicted the death of Buffy's mom, not at the fangs of a vampire, but natural causes, and that episode showed the death of a loved one in almost unbearable realism! Critics agree it was one of the finest episodes ever made for ANY show.
    Also, around season 2, Buffy began to fall in love with a vampire named Angel, and it turned out to be the most tortured love affair ever filmed, I can't even compare it to anything! If it sounds like i'm hyping this show, well I guess I am, but as I said just about everyone who watches this show instantly gets hooked on it, it definatly casts a spell. If you want to catch up, I think that FX will begin showing reruns, starting from the beginning this fall sometime. I STRONGLY urge you to give it a try!
    As far as the movie goes, it's nothing compared to this show, really.
    ------------------
    Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.
    [Edited last by John Williamson on August 23, 2001 at 01:07 AM]

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Robert,
    Not to offend anyone, but the TV series is mainly aimed at 13-16 yrs olds.
    You know, kids in a house, no parents. Parents when shown idiotic anyway. Kids much smarter and know things.
    And ...love... well, not too much of course. Lots of competing girls. That sort of thing.
    And it's no longer understandable what a vampire-slayer actually is. OK, Buffy can perform some karate-kicks. But why she "slays" those vampires (who are all looking the same with a angry-look hump on their foreheads) escapes the viewer. Except, of course, that it's because she is a vampire slayer...
    Cees

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Cees, I whole heartedly disagree. This show is not just for the teen audience as you said, not by a long shot! I'm 29 and have been watching from the very beginning and this is nothing like those other braindead WB shows like 'Dawsons Creek' and 'Roswell', it's smarter, deeper, and more entertaining then those shows will ever be.
    ------------------
    Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

11. CraigMc

CraigMc Extra

Not wanting to get off-topic, but I couldn't help replying to this...
    Buffy is by far not a "kids" show for teenagers only. It's depth as a TV show is unparalleled and appeals more than ever to all ages and especially an "Adult" demographic.
    The character development, themes, plot structure and dialogue are so expertly intertwined and developed over the course of a season (and in many cases, several seasons), that it can't help but be much more than an adult show.
    Sadly, I seem to hear this opinion of Buffy from non-watchers as either being a "perv-fest" or "eye candy" being the reason we watch it, or that it's simply a teenagers-only show.
    I can only feel but sorry for them as to what they're missing out on. The camps seem to fall clearly into the Buffy FANS and the Buffy I-Don't-Understand-This-Show ppl.
    You seem to either get this show or you don't. When you do, you GET IT in a big way. If you don't then it just seems you'll never get IT, sad really.
    Sadder still, it seems the clowns who nominate and award Emmy's are solidly in the I-Don't-Understand-This-Show camp.
    ------------------
    Craig McDonald

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I think I am one of the few people who saw the movie theatrically here in the UK. Didn't do anything for me, very silly stuff.
    I think the TV series did a better job. I'm no huge fan, I've surely seen no more then fifteen episodes tops (and I remain not overly drawn to it), but those I have seen, I find it works on a lot more levels then the movie did because yes, you've got your violence and stupidly good looking people in there for the teens who go for that kind of stuff, but there is a great level of wit to the TV show which I really kind of liked.
    Dan (UK)

13. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

I have tried, God knows I've tried to like this show. I have watched about 20 episodes but I just found it well, dull. I thinks it's one of those things you love or hate. There is no in - between with it.
    My sister in law treats it like a religion though, she's crazy about it. Is buffy aimed at women?
    Now, Millenuium. That'd be cool on DVD :)
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

If there is one demographic this series is not aimed at, it's young teenage girls. People shouldn't confuse the protagonists of the series with its audience. It only has some of the best writing and direction on television, and this from someone who intensely disliked the movie and cares little for the horror genre as a whole. Most of the fans I know of this series are men and women in their twenties and thirties. Who, of course, are the demographic the show is aimed at. Critics agree; the television industry, if the Emmy's are anything to go by, see it as vapid, but they shold look at the nonsense that actually gets up (David E Kelly, anybody?)

15. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

My sister in law is 32
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536

16. Jeff Kleist

Buffy is the single most dissed show at the Emmys
    Bottom Line- Anyone who thinks that Buffy is a show for giggle-girls, needs to watch "The Body" (Season 5)
    If you're not in tears at the end, you're not human
    I still can't watch the episode again, it's too painful
    Another stellar performance from SMG comes in the climax to Angel (Season 1, Episode 7??) where Angel is made human again by an accident. I won't spoil the buildup, but again, I saw "Emmy" flashing at the bottom of the screen, and she wasn't even nominated. For SHAME.
    Buffy contains its share of lighthearted quips and kickboxing vampires, and those episodes are great fun. But once the stuff hits the fan, the show can be dark and bittersweet, and downright agonizingly painful to watch. NO OTHER SHOW DOES THIS.
    Obi, since it's going to take awhile for the box sets, I highly suggest you watch the FX repeats starting Sept. 24th. Be careful to NOT miss episodes, because Buffy runs in season-long arcs, and you could very well loose important plot points. The first season is a tad low budget and cheesy (12 episodes). You'll know when the true arc starts in season 2, and then you'll be sucked up by Team Whedon just like the rest of us. You'll just be lucky that you won't have to wait 9 months to finish out a story [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

17. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think if you want Emmy's you gotta be talking Buffy S2, "Passion" - that really is one that's packed with emotion.
    I can't add much more praise to this series that what's already here except to say that if you like Friends and you don't mind fantasy genres then you should like Buffy.
    Buffy's scripting and characters are of a higher comic standard than Friends (and many other sitcoms), and for every angst-filled Emmy-winning (almost!) episode there is one which is just comedic excellence, while still retaining an absolute narrative.
    What's funny is that people who don't like it always say how they can't believe people watch it "for the scripts" but that's precisely why they do.
    Despite S4's downs, S5 has been good enough to make sure Buffy now tops Babylon 5 as my favourite TV series of all time.
    Incidentally, if you like Millennium you may well like Angel. There is actually a lot of difference between this show and Buffy in terms of style and edge. I think two of the four box sets have got 18 ratings. If you get a chance to watch S1 then do so and see what you think (though not Channel 4's bastardised versions, obviously).
    Theo

18. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

I have to join the fans gushing over the TV series. The show is phenomenal! The writing is clever, smart, witty, and the show doesn't flinch from painful emotions and unconventional plot turns. I never would have guessed that such a stupid movie could make such a fabulous TV series. (The only other TV show I loved based on a movie I didn't care for is ALIEN NATION--now where's that series on DVD?)
    -Jerry

19. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

I guess I'm going to have to try Buffy again aren't I.
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536

20. Jeff Kleist

Yes, remember to watch in order! [​IMG]