who makes the best decoders??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Hanrahan, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Ben Hanrahan

Ben Hanrahan Stunt Coordinator

Any of you have opinions as to who makes the best DD/DTS decoders? Also, do you know who incorporates certain decoders in their gear? I am looking for a dvd player with a built in decoder, but I want it to be top notch, and although the rp-82 meets all my needs otherwise, I've only read negatives about it's dd/dts decoder. The Denon 1600 has a built in decoder, does anyone know if it's the same as the Panny, or even the Yamaha for that matter?

Thanks,

Ben

PS So far in receivers I quite like the decoders that are in HK's and Rotel gear, while I really dislike anything Yamaha...any suggestions?

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

If you use the receiver's DAC's then it shouldn't matter what's in the DVD player.

3. Ben Hanrahan

Good point.

But the thing is I can trade up my receiver in for a Rotel RB-985 and a Rotel pre amp. The pre amp has a 6 channel input but no processor, which is exactly what I want. Now I need to find the dvd player with the best processor, so if any of you know of a player with a particularly good audio section, let me know.

Ben

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Until early last year I was in the same boat using a 5.1 ready system with external decoders. Unfortunately, high quality DD/DTS decoders don't appear to be a real priority to the manufacturers. FWIW I think my Technics DVD-A10 (Precursor to the ubiquitous 91) sounds better in the 5.1 ins for dd/dts than my Sony DVP-NS500V SACD/DVD player. Both sound pretty good, I wouldn't have any complaints about wither if I was stuck with them. It's tough to get good information on this subject.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

While there may be an exception or two out there, you probably won't find top-notch DD/DTS decoding in a DVD player. Manufacturers include it as a convenience for people who don't yet have an external decoder. Anyone with a demanding ear will probably spring for a DD/DTS-capable receiver or pre/pro; so there's no incentive for a player manufacturer to increase its costs by investing heavily in the decoder circuitry.

As for your initial question, I'm still very partial to Lexicon processors.

M.

6. Ben Hanrahan

Is it possible that HK receivers have Lexicon processors? I believe they're part of the same company...anyone?

7. Michael Reuben

HK bought Lexicon some years back, which is why you'll find versions of Lexicon's proprietary Logic7 in some HK receivers. But AFAIK, Lexicon still operates independently; so I doubt the actual circuitry is the same. Lex has its own approach to design, and they have never made a receiver.

M.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

9. Ben Hanrahan

From what I've observed, there seems to be something with using analogue outs ang getting better sound. Perhaps it's the fact that no re-clocking has to occur to the digital stream, I'm not sure but I think this is the way I want to go.

10. Michael Reuben

Thanks for reminding me, Phil. I always forget about DVD-A. And you're right -- if any player's going to have good decoding circuitry, it's a top-notch DVD-A machine.

M.