What's new

Who makes fairly decent, BUT $$-CHEAP 2-channel amps? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
In need of two, 2-channel amps that are very easy on the pocket book and of fairly decent quality.....
Or, a 4-channel capable of Tri-mode.

The budget I'm told, (for a young friend) is around 100.00 apiece, or 200.00 on a four channel...

Are any of these brands worth a look, as I can get huge price breaks on these for him.

Amplifiers Brands and Lines:
Hifonics->Apollo Series,, Son Of Thor, Boltar, & Olympus only...

Crunch--->Power Zone & V-Drive Series

Lighting Audio->Bolt Series

Jensen--->JXP & XA Series

Profile-->Califorina & Clarus Series

LA Sound->Tribal & Cali-Style Series

Legacy---> All current lines

Power Acoustk-> SPL series, I II & III
If possible, can someone recommend something "preferably from this list! If not, what Amps on line might he look into?
Any thoughts & recommendations on Amps would be very appreciated!

Regards
Geoff

NicholasL

Second Unit
I don't know the price ranges, but I know these are decent for a lower-end price range:

sony xplod
clarion
mtx
rockford fosgate
alpine
ppi

Niraj Patel

Agent
I'd stay away from Sony's. Have never had a good experience with them. From your list, I would go with Hifonics/Crunch and then stay away from the rest.

Other options would be US Acoustics (check out www.thezeb.com for some good deals on them) and the Soundstream Picasso line up.

$100 might be a little too low of a budget, but those amps are right around it.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
How about a nice two channel that will run stereo and a mono bridge at the same time like the Fosgate!

Wes

Sean Me

Grip
Say No To Sony, there is a reason that they call their stuff "explodes" (unless it is the ES stuff).

My recommendation for the amp that would be easiest on the wallet is the planet audio p450, 50x4 or 160x2. You can get a refurb straight from the OEM builder for about $70 plus shipping, with a 1 year warranty. You will need to contact Steve Mantz, the owner, and ask him to email you the newest list of refurb amps that he has available. He might also have some US Acoustics USA4050's left that would also be a great choice. Here is the contact info:

ZED AUDIO CORPORATION
759 Cochran Street, Units A & B, Simi Valley, CA 93065
Telephone (805) 526-5315 Fax (805) 526-8572 e-mail [email protected]

You can also buy the new US Acoustics amps (made in Korea by a different builder) through crutchfield.com with a 3 year warranty for a good price (I have not used any of the newer amps so I can't comment on them).

As far as budget priced amps go, these have all been referred to as decent budget amps:

Clarion
US Acoustics
Hifonics
Autotek
Lanzar Optidrive
Some Profile amps (don't know which ones)

elitecaraudio.com is the car audio forum that I prefer, you might want to do a search on there.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks guys for your take.

Sean:
Big thanks for your contact info.

Yup, do know about Elite Car Audio Forum. If one can wade threw all the BS and garbage talk, there is some good info their. Can only take about a 1/2 hour or so their, then have to leave..:D

Another quick question;
Anyone spent time with or had actually use of any of the over priced Xtant subs with lower CLEAN power or even bigger power and what model was it???

Also what type box was it or them in, sealed, ported, bandpass, etc?

Have access to these also at an extreme discount. New subs not refurbs, Xtant~A, X, & possibly Z series. Prices range from 19.00 bucks a driver up to 49.99.

Are any of the Xtant lower subwoofer lines half way decent when fed ~{CLEAN Lower Power"}~, say 150-watts or so a driver and in a properly spec'ed and built encloser??

Again, appreciate the replies and especially your contact info Sean.

At this point, due to his seriously confined budget, his 2-Amps will be Hifonics, that is unless I can find him something better and still very cheap for him using Seans information.

Regards
Geoff

DwightK

Second Unit
I have a 2 channel (mono bridged) amp from Lightning that I have been pleased with. Was close to the $100 range.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
You can get a good apline MRP-F240 4x40watt channel amp for about $136 online. It can also be bridged at 2x100watt amp

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Shoot!

Forgot about this thread while searching for deals and all the necessary stuff needed for his car...:b

What do ya think of how I spent his hard earned money???

He now owns 2-Hifonics amps after some research and calls. One 2-channel original Boltar( look very simalar to the Apollo Line), driving his New DVC-Credence 10" subs...These are the (old style Kicker ROUND Solobrics) driven at 1-ohm. Subs-69.00, thanks Tom at Credence.
For those that may know, Credence has been an OEM supplier of subs for allot of big name companys and now is about to put out their own stuff.

His Box was free as I gave him one of my old DIY ones. Definitly well built 1-1/2" MDF all sides. Seperat chambers for each 10 and one 3"-PP flex tube giant flare port in each side, tuned to 32Hz currently.

One 4-channel ("Apollo Line"-Son of Olympus) driving his front doors and dash tweets. The 4 channel was not needed and he could have used a cheaper Apollo Line-Son of Thor 2 channel, but this way he has more options later if he upgrades to more componet speakers or mid bass, subs, etc. Both Amps=208.00

Nice amps, but serious alternator power hogs typical of their design. Actually for what he spent, he defintly got allot for his money.

The Amps, Componet speaks, Line Driver, HU, & all Wiring goods, came from my wholesaler in Ohio and are new. Subs threw Tom at Credence.

His front stage WAS going to be Infinity Referance componets, but the wholesaler dropped them this year. Bummer as the price break was huge & their at least decent. He ended up with Phoenix Gold 6.5" 2-way componets (39.00) up front, better sounding than I thught they'ed be.

HU is a Blaupuntk Casablaca, gave 98.00 new.

EQ Line Driver is an Audiobahn AEQ6Q he gave 58.00 for.

Wiring, rca's, fuse block, distabution block, spades, terminals, etc, all Lighting Audio. 2g,8g, & 14g
Got a whole 29.00 in that.

All products are brand new and carry full a warranty.

Nice newbie set up for chump change. Do the math, about 450.00. Wished I had that system when I was is age,,, and for what he payed, ghesh!

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks