Who makes a Vinal Veneer Razor Holder/Cutter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

For doing longer straight edge clean cutting of vinal veener after it's been installed. For wood veneers no poblem with the router, but this is for cutting vinal wood veneers.
    (The tool is not for the router)

I've seen something some where but don't remmeber! Belive a link for the product was postd here but the search fuction is DOWN....

Yes you can free hand carefully, but much prefer something that guides itself for a clean edge cut. Dose anyone no what I'm asking about and where to find it????

Thanks
    Geoff

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Geoff,

Go to Home Depot and look for an edgeband trimmer where the veneer and edgebanding is. It's called a "Band-It Edge Trimmer". I haven't used it before on vinyl but I plan to the next time I have use vinyl on a cabinet.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Brian
    Thanks, I just got back from Tape Ease and was looking the same thing! [​IMG]
    Is it cheaper to order one from TE or just go to HD (45-miles) and pick it up? I need to order some more banding anyway thats why I ask...
    Also do they have replacement blades also at HD?
    I'm gona try some vinal for the first time on a freinds DIY sub, he dose not want to pay the extra for the real deal. Better to screw up on his DIY than on one of my yet to built! He seems to be ok with that "even" when I mentioned I have not worked with vinal before....[​IMG]
    Gives me a chance to see what this stuff is like to work with and how good it may or may not look. Have heard some having some troubles with corners NOT sticking well!
    Any suggestions on good corner stick!
    A little roll on glue or a spray adhisive on just the flat corners maybe?
    Thanks for the info
    Geoff

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Geoff,

I don't remember the price. I think it was about $5 at HD and it came with a couple of replacement blades. I don't remember if they sold the replacements though.

I've only used it (it vinyl, btw) once and it seemed OK on the corners but I don't know how it worked out long term. If nothing else, I'd at least have a black sharpie if the edge of the MDF is visible.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Shoot, at that price I'll just grab a few of them....I'll find use for them with other stuff anyway.

Nice trick with the sharpie, I've even mixed colors before! Hope to avoid that edge problem naturaly.

Thanks again for the info pretty much covers it. Very much apreciated...!

Regards
    Geoff