What's new

Who listens to digital cable music channels? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Just curious. Looking for some new music and was wondering if that was a good source to check out...

Does anyone here listen to those channels?

--
H

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I listen to a fair bit of them (where I live, they're run by the CBC and sometimes have an eclectic mix). They sound better in PCM mode from my box than in Dolby, but it's a pain to switch back and forth, so I don't bother. I've made several purchases because of things I've heard in various genres, so I consider them a very good feature of digital cable.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I use DirecTV's around the holidays (TG, Christmas)...it's good for background music that way.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Dish has a bunch of their own channels, as well as most of the Sirius music channels. I listen to them once in a while. Local FM radio sounds better than both. When I'm hanging out with friends in my billiards room I usually pipe the Dish/Sirius channels into the ceiling mounted speakers there. Very good for this purpose.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes late at night when I don't want to be bothered trying to find a CD to listen to. But sometimes it takes me a while to find a channel with stuff playing that I like that I *haven't* heard before. I do try and use them to find new stuff too.

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr
I have to listen to the radio at day at work, so when I come home, I usually slip on the ipod. I forget that I have all these channels at home. I have a tendency to get bored with genres. I'd like a,50's-60's-70's channel ,rather than one channel of each.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
We get it but like others have said around the holidays is the only time for seasonal music...

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
i listen to them all the time. i can't recall the last time i listened to the over the air radio in the living room.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
We listen to them once in a while. It's more of a game with my kids to see if I can guess the singer/song selection. My kids love the Kidzpop and Party mix channel.

I can't even remember the last time I listened to the radio. It's either music in my ipod or podcasts.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The only radio I listen to is NPR, and that's the problem.

While I am not actively a music person (my CD and even mp3 collection is pretty meager), I did realize recently that I had been listening to the same stuff for years, because of lack of exposure to "new" material from any era.

I am not willing to sit thru commercials anymore, and will not pay for satellite radio either.

--
H

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd quess that during the past 5 years that I've listened to Direc's music channels 5 times. I heard a couple of thangs that sent me to the music store though. I got Count Basic after hearing 'em on there, I recall. I have so much music at hand that I don't need to look very actively for music beyond my own basement. I'm listening to a Tesla CD that came in the mail today presently.

I'd like a music service more if it ws like VOD....MusicOD....perhaps? If I could pick albums, E.P.'s, or singles, for that matter, that I wanted to hear, now, hmnnn, I might like that if the selection was beyond vin ordinaire? .....wait a second that sound's like Al Gore's vision of, by golly, the enternet....

In the end, I resent having the music pak stapled to my purchase of TV services. I see it as a music tax. I feel like I already paid my music tax on all those discs in my basement! I'd like to see consumer legeslation that makes TV services al la carte. I'd cut out the music murder's share for sure.

If I didn't own so much music, I'd proably like the music pak...?

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
If you really want to find great new music, check out the site pandora.com

I have discovered some good stuff off that site. You can make your own channels.

jumbotron

Agent
Real Name
James
The digital music channels are okay, if you are reading, or need a quick fix. But like person above me posted pandora.com is great if you are working on your computer. You can input a band you like and it will come up with song after song of similar music from different bands. Although I think it can only be used in the USA...not sure though.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Once in a while I'll throw on Alternative, Metal, Rock, and Adult Alternative channels on Comcast. Sometimes, I'll read an interesting fact from a band I didn't know before, but mostly, every so often Ill hear an exclusive song or version of a song you cant buy. and sometimes I hear new stuff I like. But you cant beat it for commercial free. before I got my 160gb iPod I used to throw on one of those channels at the gym at my work while I was on lunch.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
I find that iTunes Radio streaming is a great way to find new music. You hear something you like and just look up to see the Artist and song name. You can pick the channel and general type of music you are interested in.

I never thought that there were bands out there that made anything I would like that wasn't 15+ years old. I found a bunch.

Sure the quality is terrible, but how else are you going to sample new music for free? The radio just doesn't cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks