What's new

Who Likes "Disarm" by Smashing Pumpkins (1 Viewer)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I enjoy Smashing Pumpkins to a degree, they put out some great stuff, however, I just love the song Disarm. The song is so beatiful, with the acoustic guitar providing the rythmn, but with the orchestra coming in and adding a nice touch. Billy's lyrics and voice is just great on this song, "A killer in me is a killer in you, (Tone change), my love." I just love how he changes his voice. It sounds like he's putting his entire soul into his singing.
And then, around 3:08 in the song, towards the end, we hear a distant scream in the background, which adds just a nice little touch to the song(You have to really listen for it, it's not very loud, but it's there.)
Maybe I'm nuts, but it'd be nice to hear someone else that likes it, as well as those who can pick out the scream. I think the scream is from the game doom, but I could be wrong.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't really see anything NOT to like about the entire Siamese Dream CD. It pretty much showcased all of what The Pumpkins had done and where they would go. I always felt that "Melon Collie" was just excessively long, but paired down to a single CD may have been the stronger set. Adore was too self indulgent, so much so that I never bothered with Machina or the "net" album. On Siamese, the Pumpkins were charged full steam with the world at their feet.
------------------

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I'm a major Pumpkins fan and Disarm is the one song on Siamese Dream that I can do without. To me, it just feels out of place on that record. The only version of that song that I've ever liked was a live, electric, rocked-up version without all of the strings and bells.
I was talking with a fellow Pumpkin-head last week about Siamese Dream, and came to the conclusion that it's a perfect album. There's really nothing wrong with it. I don't care for Disarm all that much (but it's still a good song), and I think Silverfuck should have been the closing song (not that the album should have ended after Silverfuck, but it should have been put after Luna), but other than that, they don't get much better than Siamese Dream. (Funny--the fellow fan I was talking with actually became a fan because of Disarm. . .)
And for the record, I love Adore. My favorite Pumpkins album. It's so different, so mellow, from anything else they've done, and that's why I like it. People were expecting this big, rocking album after Mellon Collie, and here's this nice, sweet, little moody record. Pissed off and/or disappointed all the "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" fans, and that's fine with me. I think the true Pumpkins fans got that album. There are some absolutely brilliant songs on Adore. No guitar, but that's OK. . .
-mwb-

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Soma is probably my favorite song from Siamese Dream, but Disarm is right up there. Quite a good song, although I do believe it feels a little out of place on the album. That's not a big deal.
Adore is by far my favorite Pumpkins album. People just weren't ready for such an abrupt and unexpected dive into... well... I'll let you classify Adore however you like. It's uniqueness (although all Pumpkins albums are certainly unique) sets it apart, and the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it. People say Billy Corgan became too egocentric with Adore (or even before Adore), but I fail to see how Thom York of Radiohead, for example, is any better. Thom's lyrics don't even make sense. Thom sings about bumps on the head and waking up sucking lemons (and absolutely gets into what he's singing - watch any live performance), and Billy Corgan sings about love, loss, and other such things that pretty much anyone can relate to if they just take the time to decipher the stories within the songs... And yet Corgan is called arrogant and Yorke is called visionary. I just don't get it.
Sorry for straying ever so slightly off-topic...
wink.gif

paul h

Supporting Actor
Like most Pumpkins stuff but am a big fan of Adore. Tracks like Perfect, Daphne Descends and Appels and Oranjes are just superb..

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I wasn't surprised in the sound of Adore - the singles box and some "soundtrack" songs that preceded it gave a good indication that they were taking a mellower approach. It's just that I never felt the songs on Adore were as good as those "B" sides. It wasn't that it was mellow - I just felt it was weak.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I really love all those B-Sides in the singles box, too... now when in the hell are they gonna hurry up and get their last show documented on DVD?!?! I wanna see that so badly.
frown.gif
And for anyone that got to go to that big Pumpkin-fest: damn you. damn you all to Hell. :) heh heh... just kidding. I'm just insanely jealous, that's all.
Scott.
------------------
Scott's DVD List

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Although I liked Siamese Dream, GISH by far my favorite Pumpkins CD. This topic is perfect timing because I just broke out my pumpkins cd's and started listening to them this week. I have been really getting into the band Placebo and some of there songs, I thought, has the same sound as the pumpkins.
Jeff_P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks