What's new

who likes bad music, and is proud to admit it? (1 Viewer)

John McM

Second Unit
just curious if anyone else out there admits to liking music that critics and "rockists" deem unworthy?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'm not even sure I know what critics and "rockists" deem unworthy. I'm willing to give anything a chance and if it sounds good to me, I keep listening. If not, I move on to something else.

Bruce

RickyB

Agent
Well if I like it, it isn't bad. :)
But yeah, there is music that I like that critics and music snobs alike seem to bash at every oppurtunity.

MikeGee

Second Unit
i listen to alot of styles of music...

from hardcore punk rock, to metal, to folk music... rap, 80s, 70s music.. If its got somthing to it that i like.. i'll listen to it.
Tho dont confuse bad music with unpopular music..

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
The only bad music I can't listen to is RAP, but I wouldn't say I'm PROUD of it. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well, in another thread, I admitted to loving the Strawberry Alarm Clock and got schellacked by true dwellars of the era.

Other "bad" bands that I like:

The Bee Gees
Bay City Rollers
Glen Campbell
(Rhinestone Cowboy!)
Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods
Justin Timberlake
(I have no explanation or excuse)
Culture Club
(love it all)
Brides of Funkenstein
John Cougar
(I must admit to loving the "Scarecrow" album)
Wall of Voodoo
Biz Markie
Donovan
- (have to add him here, I know some of you dislike him. I absolutely love some of his music)
The Fixx

Michelle Branch- you can't see this can you?

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I like:
Air Supply
Barry Manilow
Dan Fogelberg
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
Sum 41
New Found Glory
Blink 182
Green Day
The Offspring
Billy Squier
Asia
Journey
Eve 6
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Foreigner
Hootie & the Blowfish

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You see, the inherent problem with threads/polls like this is that it all comes down to personal taste just what constitutes "Bad Music", one man's garbage is another man's gold. Personally I agree with many of the other posters here, if I like it I listen...if I don't then I stop. Screw the critics.

Zen, don't ever call or even insinuate that anything WOV is bad again! Wall of Voodoo was as unique and original as the first B-52's album and left it's enduring and endearing mark on many of us. If you haven't already explored the remains of Wall of Voodoo you are in for a real treat. I'd suggest the following to begin:

Stan Ridgway-Mosquitos (1989)
Department Of Crooks-Plan 9 From Las Vegas (1997)
Andy Prieboy-Upon My Wicked Son (1990)
Stan Ridgway-Blacktop Ballads And Fugitive Songs (2004)

WOV roolz!

jc

PS: Rob, I hate it when Greenday gets lumped in with all those mall punk bands. They're not the Ramones, but then again, who is? Greenday has a substantial body of decent work that should propel them over most anyone's line of "bad" music. Then again, I guess these are just my opinions too.

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Getting onto the mp3 thing early on led me to collect music videos from the more 'underground' internet and subsequently I'm pretty fond of music videos. It can add a whole new experience to a song for me. Escpecially combined with a decent home theater (thanks HTF for advice) and a laptop/media hub. I know music video popularity keeps some really good artists from having careers that would bring possibly 'better' music my way - so I suppose I should be ashamed, but I'm still infatuated with the videos. It's a sorta guilty pleasure.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Holy Model Rounders have not come out of my car CD player in a week. This particular disc is the Rounder release of their “Volumes 1 & 2.” Recorded over 40 years ago. It is, from a large collection, my main D.I.D.
I’ll let the All Music Guide explain them:
“The Holy Modal Rounders were almost the very definition of a cult act. This isn't a case of a group that would be described by such clichés as "if only they got more exposure, they would certainly reach a much wider audience." Their audience was small because their music was too strange, idiosyncratic, and at times downright dissonant for mainstream listeners to abide.”

Not played nearly as often, but still much loved are the complete discography of Blue Cheer.
They opened for Hendrix once and he thought it was the worst band he ever heard. I love ‘em.
I have ONE Eric Burdon & The Animals record. “Love Is” was their last effort and is universally reviled. I think it’s wonderful. It’s also quite rare.

Some of the earliest music in my childhood home was Spike Jones, so you see; I never had a chance to develop “good taste.” ;)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Late 70's disco is my guilty pleasure. I hated that music when it was happening and wore a Disco Sucks t-shirt. I thought Disco was the root of all evil systematically destroying great rock bands one by one...Queen, Another one Bites the Dust. Rolling Stones, Miss You. Grateful Dead, Shakedown Street.

Now, I love hearing the classic disco tunes from the era.I don't own them, but I like em'.

Oh, and Ted Nugent too. One of my high school favorites nobody seems to listen to anymore, but it still sounds great to me.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
He was considered "bad" early in his career, but "Scarecrow" propelled him into critical acceptance. I think it's one of the great rock albums of the 80s - one I would feel embarrassed NOT to have in my collection.

Which begs the question: What makes music bad, and who decides it?? A lot of what is considered "bad" is merely unhip.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. Recently I listened to Scarecrow for the first time in years - I'd forgotten how good it was. I think Uh Huh started Mellencamp on the path to critical success - I think American Fool got decent notices, but the follow-up was more widely praised. Nonetheless, Scarecrow was really his first album that got strong critical acceptance, so I'll agree on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks