Who liked Two and a Half Men?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rob P S, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    This was hyped as being hysterically funny - I must have missed that part. I didn't hate it, it was OK - decent acting, a cute kid, some funny lines, the hot sister from Once and Again. Not bad for a pilot, but overrated. Hopefully it will improve as it goes along.

2. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Well, I only watched it because it was on between Raymond and CSI Miami, in fact, my wife wanted to watch it and I was pissed as I did not want to get sucked into another show since we watch 5 times too much TV as it is. Turns out, it was muchfunnier than I figured it would be and I liked it. We will definitely give it a few more weeks. The only problem is that it will take some goor writers to keep coming up with intereesting story lines and have it be different than other shows.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I thought that the first episode showed promise and may wife and I plan to watch for a while yet. I think that this is one that can go either way.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

His wife thinks she's gay?? Maybe she can date Ross' wife from Friends. [​IMG]

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I liked it. Charlie Sheen, John Cryer, and Angus T. Jones play well off each other, with the sitcom format suiting Sheen, in particular. I'm not sure how much you can do with Holland Taylor's and Melanie Lynskey's characters, but I'll hang around a while to find out.

Aside: I just can't reconcile the difference between Lynskey's career and Kate Winslet's after Heavenly Creatures. Both great there, and yet it seems Lynskey didn't get a quarter of the offers that Winslet did.

6. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

I only watched it because I get CBS on HDTV now.

Standard mediocre sitcom stuff.

The days of this standard sitcom formula appear over, why
    can't we get some original comedy programming on TV anymore?

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Todd, I was thinking the same thing. What a rip! Plus

Jon Cryer is a more extreme Ross - anal, nervous, nerdy

That plot line seemed like filler between Charlie's antics and the kid. Mostly cliche situations IMHO - kid better than pets (in attracting women in supermarkets), womanizing vs. nerdy brother, favored son, etc. We'll see how it goes.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I thought the first show was the funniest thing I’ve seen in a sit-com since Raymond or Home Improvement. We tuned for the second episode last night, wondering if they could pull it off again, and it was even funnier – practically roll-on-the-floor hilarious!

The frenetic Jon Cryer is the perfect foil for Charlie Sheen’s deadpan delivery (although Jon’s character was really “toned-down” last night). I also like Angus Jones’ understated deadpan delivery – not the whiney smart-alec you see with most other sitcom kids. The obsessive girlfriend from last week was missing this week – if done right this could be a great recurring gag, like Murphy Brown’s “secretary of the week.”

With the swinging bachelor as a prime character, I was afraid it would be just another trashy sit-com, but they manage to give it just enough “adult” edge without being raunchy. Kudos – I’m not fond of seeing trashy shows when they have kids as characters.

I give it two thumbs way up, only because I don’t have more than that!

By the way, Co-Executive Producer Chuck Lorre was the talent behind Dharma and Greg, another great sitcom with off-beat characters. And I noticed last night that his signature “vanity card” is back, just before the credits.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Lorre's vanity card are fun to read (you have to pause or freeze frame it to read). It helped that a veteran sitcom director, James Burrows, was at the helm of the pilot episode (not sure if he did the 2nd episode).