Who knows how to master the Skill Crane?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob Kavanaugh, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

How frustrating are skill cranes? Surely there has to be some trick to nabbing goodies more often than not. Anybody got any sure fire tips?

2. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

I've got a pretty good strategy for dealing with these things....

[​IMG]

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

HAHA....

The chinese buffet that my family and I frequent got one of these in their waiting area about 3 or 4 months ago. Well the stuffed toys have slowly been building up. Whenever the staff has a free moment, they decide to play the game, and anything they win gets hung up somewhere in the restaurant. It's actually pretty funny.

4. Markus Lidstrom

Not going to take my advice?

5. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Nah, something about doing jailtime for a cheap watch doesn't make sense. I sure hope you didn't take the time to draw up that animation. If you did, what program did you use?

6. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Good luck, skill cranes have internal adjustment features where you can gauge how "strong" the grip is.

7. Markus Lidstrom

I used Adobe Imageready. I needed a 15 minute study break anyway.

And the odds are pretty good that you wouldn't go to jail if you used the glass shards to keep the employees back as you made your getaway with your well deserved bounty.

8. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I consider myself only sightly better than the averge crane addict. I do OK (toys for the kiddies of course) at our local beach boardwalk.

IMHO, the trick is to pick your machine & target toy carefully. Indeed, some machines have the springs set so loose they couldn't pick up a paperclip. Restaurant machines (think Denny's & Perkin's) are notoroious for this. Better to play at an arcade/amusement park. Look for others walking around with winnings -- what machine looks to be paying out the most?

Second - now you have to see if there is a nabbable target in the bin. Stay away from the heavier toys, they'll slip through the claw for sure. Go for mid-light weight. Also look for something that's basically sitting freely on top of the pile ... no bulbous lion feet, snagged deep in the pride. It's best if you can find one that looks like it was picked up once already and fell on the way to the exit. Also look for something you can get the claw around (a point-up carrot is no good, a big-head teddy is great).

ready ... aim ... drop!
    Be prepared to try a few times.

In the immortal words of Toy Story ... "The claw is our master ... the claw chooses who will go and who will stay"

Scott
    Look for othe