Who Killed Vesper Fairchild?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jun 13, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I know there are a few lurking comic book reader's on the forum. This is in reference to the Bruce Wayne: Murderer and Bruce Wayne: Fugitive storyline currently running in the various Bat-books.

I do have a guess, reading this storyline over the past few months.

I think Azrael
    . This person has full working knowledge of the Batcave, and of the Bruce Wayne/Batman connection. Also It's generally been true that he wants to BE Batman, and wouldn't mind having Bruce out of the way to do it. Remember, the attack was against Bruce, not Batman.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hmmm... Seems like a pretty good guess. I wouldn't have thought of it, since that and Batgirl are the two batbooks I don't read except for crossovers and the character has been almost completely absent from the storyline thus far (until next week, apparently).

That doesn't really explain Bruce's aberrant behavior before and after the murder, though - why would Bruce buy a gun, for instance? Or apparently do nothing to help Sasha?

Of course, IIRC, Azrael is a doctor of some kind, right? Could he have been doping Bruce with something or other to make him more paranoid than usual?

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I have no explanation for Bruce's behavior. I understood why he bought a gun in it's own context, but once you bring this storyline into the light I can't reconcile that aspect.

I had also considerred and ruled out

Rhas Al Ghul
    there was a recent storyline when Bruce was adopting Dick and Rhas sent a fake relative of Dick, having convinced the non-relative that he was related... then Rhas also sent a shooter to shoot (and miss) the relative. Something about that storyline struck me to indicate that Ras may strike at the Bruce persona. My primary reason for ruling out R.A.G. is that Oracle ruled him out early on in the storyline.

I'm sticking with Azrael

4. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

You know,John..with Azrael's comic being cancelled
    you just might be right...

Calvin

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Okay, after the last page of this week's Gotham Knights, I'm starting to wonder about Talia Head. I'm not entirely certain why she'd frame Bruce for murder, but she knows Bruce Wayne is Batman, and has connections with President Lex Luthor. Although Lex himself can't be ruled out - Luthor and Wayne are business rivals, and "Detective"'s Greg Rucka did write a great piece in the "President Lex 2000" speical about how Luthor could, if he really put the US Government's resources to work, find out who Batman was. And remember the finale of "No Man's Land"? He's had his sights set on Gotham for a while.

Ah well - only one more week to go.

6. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

I'm thinking Cain.

I WAS thinking Azrael

But things are definitely looking i.e. the cover
    like Cain
    is the man
    who did it.

He has the training, and it wouldn't have been hard (with or without some help) to know who Bruce was/is.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I'm about a month behind-last I read was the Azrael stuff with the Az-bat suit. Nice to see Azrael being used well again-his title started off good, then sucked for a while, and just picked up when this storyline started.

But, as for speculation, I haven't followed the DCU stuff much with the "President Lex" stories, but I'm vaguely aware of what I've read in the bat-books. My speculation however, is:

The ending of this will see the return on one of the major batman villains to the spotlight, and I'm going to speculate that it's the Penguin. Ozwald has been sitting dormant for far too long as a "legitimate" businessman, and I think that something like this-turning him into the equivalent of the Kingpin, would be interesting.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the killer is:

Bruce wayne. He's coming a little more unhinged all the time, and who knows. Maybe the Bat is developing his own personality, and saw Vesper as a threat to his existence.

Anyhow, I'm kind of sorry this story is coming to an end-a great ride. Only thing I'm a little pissed about is the crossing over into titles I don't buy, but I've been able to follow things with just the ones I do get so far.

8. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

I did.

9. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Bump! .. Complete with a told ya so. 8)

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Well damn.

With regards to Luthor
    : I wonder just how much the editorial team for the Superman Titles
    are in on this? This could be HUGE going forward.

I'm not dissapointed in the ending, but I am left with the question: What comes next?

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Must...not...read...until later!

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Must...return...later...to...discuss! [​IMG]
    This storyline has lasted months..... I defintely want to know what other people thought.