1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Who kidnapped DaViD Boulet ?!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Paul_Scott, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

That's the only explanation I can come up with for not seeing any posts from him the same night he finally got to see a Blu-ray demo.

Should we call the police?
    Maybe a moderator here can go knock on his door and see if he's alright.

I'm sure he wouldn't leave us hanging like this unless something was terribly terribly not right.

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    maybe he dropped dead at the sight of the stunning picture from Fifth Element, at Milla Jovovich

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Actually, that was the least stunning picture from the demo. As for David himself, I don't know. He was certainly still hale and hearty when I headed home.

4. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

he was last seen leaving the blu-ray demo; walking in a catatonic state of delirium down the city sidewalk at about 1030 p.m., searching for any pawn shop that had "video 8-track" players and demo tapes.

All attempts to give him video cassette tapes met with negative results.

Updates will be provided as they become available.

5. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I heard he was kidnaped, tied and gagged by a high profile new member. Apparently he is holding David hostage until Columbia/Tristar, Fox, MGM, Disney, and Lion's Gate agree to support HD DVD. [​IMG]

6. Manus

Manus Second Unit

" heard he was kidnaped, tied and gagged by a high profile new member. Apparently he is holding David hostage until Columbia/Tristar, Fox, MGM, Disney, and Lion's Gate agree to support HD DVD."

Can we send him some food parcels ?? Cos that could be one long wait [​IMG]

~M~

7. Rob_HD

Rob_HD Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] - I thought humour had been banned! I love it [​IMG]

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'm here!

Had a weekend filled with home rennovations... rebuilding my stair-case...

So...want to know about that BD demo?

Bottom line: INCREDIBLE. truely incredible. And this was MPEG2 recordable-BD played on a prototype Sony BD player outputting only 1080i to Sony's qualia SXRD RP TV which was then line-doubling (DRC, similar to bobbing) back to 1080P on the screen.

And *still*, even without full 1080P thru-put or 3-2 pulldown reversal/frame reconstruction, the image was beyond belief.

True 1080P would have been even *better*.

I noticed no MPEG compression artifacts whatsoever. One member (prominent at AVS, Plazman) insisted he saw "ringing" around hard text/edges. Getting up close to the set in one or two instances there *may* have been the slightest hint of ringing around text, but it was most likely a product of the DRC/television's own processing as it was visible even around the text edges of still-frame menus which would have no MPEG2 signature.

I'll post a linke when I get a more thorough review...

[​IMG]

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Thanks David. I'm still surprised about Fifth Element being "not that impressive".
    Could it have been possibloe they were using a SD master?

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

My first thought was "they used the SD master for the Fifth Element".

It looked *just* like the super-bit DVD upscaled on my own system. No sharper... detail might have been a touch better, but not dramatically so.

And side-by-side with the rest of the HD demo clips it looked like "hugh? Why is the Fifth Element lacking that crisp, 3-dimensional look of the rest of the clips?"

12. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

So does this mean we should wait for the inevitable HD double-dip, i.e., the SuperBD disc of The Fifth Element? Because I know I used the first release in 97 to show off my system, and I thought it would be a wonderful full circle to use the same film to wow people with my upcoming hidef setup. Oh well.

Still looking forward to side-by-side comparisons between the HD-DVD and BD of the same film,

CS

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

IMO, something went "wrong" with the 5th Element demo... I can't imagine the actual BD disc coming to market looking so lack-luster as the "super bit SD" appearance of the demo clip. I think the BD disc will be a reference transfer/encoding.

Either way... will something better be around the corner? probably so. but in 1998 would you have *not* wanted that 5th element DVD in your collection? It was the best looking disc around at the time... and I got lots of mileage out of it even though I just sold it on ebay and plan to keep my SB version only to compare to the BD (which I'll then sell my SB version as well).

double-dipping is the price you pay for any new and exciting format. I'll be double dipping on my Blade-Runner DVD as well...

[​IMG]

14. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

TRUE!!! ;-)

15. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    check the first review of Blue-Ray Fifth Element.
    Fifth Element review

They say that Fifth Element doesn't look all to great on Blue-Ray

Looks like it was a Blue-Ray disc you saw David

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Yep,

thanks for that link John.

Agreed... his impressions were EXACTLY like our own of the HD demo clip that we saw.

My current theory... maybe 5E is actually on the "soft side" given the early-generation CGI that they used... so the softened the movie help blend the live with the cgi?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html

17. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I have no idea where this link would be here(A while ago!) but, I thought somebody said that Fifth Element on HBO HD is STUNNING and NOT soft.

18. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

David,

Nope... it's an old HD transfer and possibly suffers from the same 1080i/60 to 540p woes as Warner's catalog HD-DVD titles. The IP used is far from pristine with evident print damage (the Superbit also has the same damage present). Also, Stacey Speers has indicated that it's using less than stellar MPEG-2 bitrates. More than likely it was also grossly filtered to fit it on the disc.

Most of the other Blu-Ray titles are reported to have better presentations than The Fifth Element. Poor Sony quality control strikes again!

Dan

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

dan,

thanks for the added info. man. if that plays out to be the real story that SUCKS and sony deserves a big ole "slap!" for letting such a great BD opportunity go to waste.

[​IMG]

20. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Stop with the 540p misinformation. No such thing.

Also the film is early Super35 Digital Domain and is filtered for a certain look. Consult your Cinefex magazine for details. I'm willing to bet a VC-1 version would look pretty much the same.