Who is using the PSB Image line? ? on settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Hello, I really enjoy my PSB Image line of speakers. I am using the 6T's for the left and right,9c for center, 10s for sides and Stratus mini's for rears. I was just wondering if anyone else out there uses this similar set up? My question is, I feel that my front stage is lacking a little in the midbass section, what can I do to change this? I am using a powered sub so the low end is okay I just want to bump up the midbass. Do you listen to your front stage in large or small mode? I have it set up in small mode.

2. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Jeff,

I have the exact same set up (less the mini's).... I use the 10S's as my rears.

I haven't really noticed a lack of midbass but my ears aren't the best in the business. I'm mostly into movies anyway so I'd likely not notice it as much. Too, rooms will having a lot of bearing on what differences we may hear.

I have all my speakers in the front set to small and crossed over at 80hz.

You might try a lower x-over on the mains depending on where your's is set now. Short of this, boosting the area in question might help if your pre/pro has the capabilities and/or you have an eq.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I also have 6T fronts and 9C center with 2B surrounds. Not sure about mid-bass problems. My room is small and problematic with hard surfaces and thin panel walls and I don't have it all tweaked yet. I switch between LARGE and SMALL setting still to compare and test. I use a Mirage BPS-400 in my small room.

is there something 'lacking' or sounding otherwise 'bad' in your setup? What subwoofer do you have and what do you call midbass? I assume above the frequency of the 80hz that your subwoofer uses but specifically "what movie or music tracks are you disappointed with" and what equipment have you listened to that hasn't lacked in midbass? I find this is key in discussing with other people about problems etc.

4. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I found the same thing with my 9C/5T combo, so I set the 9C to large and haven't looked back--it's waaay better. I had tried playing with the CC equalizer on my Yammie 2200, and it improved it (added mid-lower bass), but making it large was the final solution.

I think the speaker *performs* fine in SMALL, but I have found that it is *capable* of producing serious lows (for a CC) so it stays on LARGE now...my $.02

5. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

You're using Stratus Minis for rears?? What a waste! The Stratus Minis would most probably sound better in the front than at the back! They are really terrific speakers that should outperform the entire Image line...

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Derek, do you set your towers to large also? I have been messing around with my settings lately and find that when I am listening to music I like my towers in large, they sound fabulous and when I am watching movies I set them to small. I haven't messed with the large setting too much on the 9 c. But does it really make that much of a difference in large mode. If it does I will definately try it out. The only concern I had was if it could handle the high volumes I play it at with movies in largr mode.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Its not as easy as choosing LARGE over SMALL. If it sounds good to you, then thats fine. For me, I find that LARGE WITH my subwoofer does not sound good. Play with your subwoofer placement. I have no problem with midbass that I know of. I have my subwoofer placed right smack in the middle of my 6T's and it seems to work fine there. I have my speakers all set on SMALL and my subwoofer crossover is set to 100 hz. I use the subwoofer crossover because I suspect that the subwoofer output of my receiver is not really crossed over. The lows are removed from the 6T's but the over 100 hz still gets sent to the sub. Not 100% positive. I should test frequency response.

For anyone having trouble with subwoofer and/or front speaker bass, I recommend placing the subwoofer right smack in the middle between your front speakers, even if that means making a TV stand which has to sit over top the subwoofer. I did that and had to give up a beautiful TV stand I customized from IKEA TV stand furniture and I haven't looked back. Besides, I can't have my equipment there cause I'm eventually going to migrate from 32" TV to FP and the screen would block the components.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

This post was actually from awhile ago, I have my set up perfect now. Everything sounds great. I am actually using 2 subwoofers and everything is set to small, I have also done alot of adjusting on my Marantz SR-9200 and have got it set up just the way I want. I am going to try the large setting on my 9 c though and see how I like it.

9. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Jeff...well I've personally auditioned all the main speakers in the Stratus series except the Stratus Bronze, and I find that the Stratus Minis are really the gem of them all. They obviously lack the pure dynamics, volume and low frequency extension of its floorstanding siblings, but it images like crazy and creates a really convinving 3D soundstage with both width and depth, even more so than the Stratus Goldi, which I eventually ended up getting. For pure music listening, unless you go DIY, I think its really hard to beat the Stratus Mini for 1000 bucks. Its simply the best speakers I've heard in its price range to date.

10. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Jeff

I am using the Image 5Ts for L and R and a 9C for the center, 10Ss for the R and L rear and an 8C for the center rear. My listening area is around 18 X 12 X 9 feet. I am using a Yamaha RX-V3200 with the LCR all set to LARGE. The mid range from the 9C is very good on movies and much better than my original Mirage center channel speaker which was set to SMALL.

Regards,

TCIII