Who is Tweeter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I was driving by one of my beloved high end retailers the other day to see a banner hung on it saying "Tweeter...Our new Name". Now, I have heard of Tweeter but we have never had any in my area. Looking at their website I am not too impressed with their prices. Should I expect something different in the actual store? Supposedly they are keeping the same employees, will they have to abide by new policies? I know I could just go in and ask, but please tell me, my HTF bretheren, who is Tweeter?
    dan

2. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Boston Acoustics.
    But you didn't hear it from me.
    MC
    ------------------
    mcohen@polkaudio.com
    Eliza Dushku, if you're reading this, please email me pronto.

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Tweeter is really popular here in Boston... they even have a music theaterperformance hall sponsored by them (the Tweeter Center). Basically, they sell mid-range audio and video equipment: receivers, CD players, DVD players, MP3 players, etc... I'm really not that impressed with their higher than average prices
    ------------------

4. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Dan,
    Yes Tweeter has bought our beloved Audio Video Systems stores. I own B&W Speakers and I was dissapointed to discover that they will no longer be carried. It seems that Tweeter has gone on a buying spree recently because I noticed that they also own the Hi Fi Buys stores in Atlanta.
    Gregory

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Chalk up another victim, Bryn Mawr Stereo. They also renamed Camden's Blockbuster-Sony Entertainment Center(the nice shorthand E-Center) the Tweeter Center. These people are becoming a virus
    Jeff Kleist

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I see Tweeter has also purchased HIFI Buys in Greenville, SC. Once again, I have not been in the store and only on the webpage. Their prices are right at MSRP! I'm not liking that too much. Hey Gregory, hows about rounding up all charlotte area HTF members and opening up shop?! [​IMG]

7. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

Here in Chicago, Tweeter bought off all United Audio Centers and all DouglasTV stores. Tweeter must be going on a shopping spree.

8. Gregory Pauswinski

Dan,
    That sounds like a great idea to me! [​IMG]
    Gregory

9. Dan_K

Dan_K Extra

No more B&W? To quote Ren Hoek, "You EEEDIOTS!" [​IMG]

10. Gregory Pauswinski

Whoa, two Dans from the Charlotte area in 1 message thread. Maybe the store should be called Dan's Home Theater. [​IMG]
    The sales guy I talked to said that one of the other Home Theater stores would probably pick up the B&W license. Since they were going to be clearancing them out, I tried to get a great deal but unfortunately no such luck. [​IMG]
    Gregory

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

hmmmm....Dan's Home Theater....It has a nice ring! [​IMG] but how about "The Store that Carries great names at Great Prices and Where Everyone has fun at Work because afterall, this IS a Hobby!" No, I wouldn't really call the store that, but sometimes I wish people who work with Toys acted like it. Especially at the corporate level. For instance, I know why most Best Buy employees don't know anything about their products. One day I was walking through the receiver area and there was a Sony that kept going into protect mode. I told one of the employees there and she said she knew about it but didn't know how to fix it. I suggested she check the wires to make sure the positive and negative wires weren't touching as that could short it out. Her response..."Oh, really? Well, I would do it, but we ARE NOT ALLOWED to." It seems there is a division of Best Buy that is hired to go to the stores and set it all up, then leave. No wonder their employees generally have no knowledge. Booklearning is great, but some things NEED hands on experience (play time!). Anyway, back to work... [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

12. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Seriously though, Tweeter is the little yellow bird that often has altercations with Sylvesty.
    [​IMG]

13. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

WE ARE THE BORG, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
    Just kidding!,Ok here is the lowdown..tweeter a privately held co. is in a buying group w/ lotso other regional a/v- er's across the country ...@ 5 years ago they have@ 20 stores in new england and the somewhat aging (gracefully) owner of bryn mawr stereo in the mid-atlantic merges his 16 store chain w/them...now, this 2 headed beast sees similar opportunities elsewhere in the buying group,so first they leverage some capital on their own ,then go public, then they buy hi-fi buys in atlanta(etc), het in texas, dow in cali.,united audio in chicago, sound advice in fla...,and the hits just keep on comin'...but seriosly now ,this is a great company to work for, turnover is low, one of the largest dealers for denon,yamaha, klipsch,mirage,sonus, rel, vienna, sony es, boston(no they don't own us)acoustics, and they seem to be buying up chains before best buy can get to 'em...this co. trains it's employees better than anyone else in the buis.and they have been voted a/v retailer of the year 3 outa da last 4 years...as for B&W speakers, the decision has more to do with B&W than Tweeter
    ...well over 110 stores in @19 states(soon into d.c.market)
    I think that people should also know that they are 1 of the few AUTHORIZED e-tailers for many of the brands they carry
    A new national chain!!!!!!! an alternative to bb & cc !!!!!