What's new

Who is the most influential person in your life? (Yep, a *poll*!) (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Who influenced more than anyone else the way you think and the way you look at the world? Of all people, who has had more impact on what you are and how you see yourself and interact with others? Who's numero uno in your life?
Me?
John Lennon--hands down. No one else comes close. He opened my eyes to the world in 1964 and beyond. And I have been the better for it ever since, despite what my reactionary mother (now deceased) thought or said.
I owe John Lennon everything. There is no one else for whom I have had greater love, affection, respect, and gratitude. And he brought joy to me through his words and music and that little band he started. And I cannot talk about him today without choking up. Which is why I am concluding my post now.
You?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
You are Jack

But to be honest I can't think of just one person. There have been bits and pieces of knowledge from many different people that I subscribe to or have influenced the way I think or look at things. And yes there are a few people on this forum who fall in that category.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
When I read the full post, the first person I thought of was Steve Martin. I used to listen to his comedy albums over and over as a young kid, and I'm convinced that my love of film got its very first spark through the comedy of the "Wild and Crazy Guy".

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Jesus Christ

John Lennon

Thomas Jefferson

(and if you think that doesn't make sense, then you didn't get the same things out of Christ's teachings that I did)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I can't think of one individual that has affected me or influenced me in my life, I was also a huge fan of the Beatles when I was young, and still am, I also idolised Elvis, Bruce Lee, Al Pacino, Neil Armstrong in my younger years, but no one really... actually I would say my father, my dad is a good man with a healthy sense of humor, he never ever hit us when we were getting into trouble (my mum took care of that), and most importantly he was always a huge movie fan and was always taking us to the cinema when we were young, always talking to me about the old movie stars, so yes my dad was the greatest influence in my life, he helped turn me into a movie nut, cheers dad.:)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm going to have to go with Robert Anton Wilson.
Reading his stuff forever changed the way I look at the world. I think for the better.
For anyone who is still subject to the delusion that "You have to believe in something" should check out his books.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
In no particular order:
My big brother: He belongs to this sect where they learn to be detached from most material things among other things. While I have zero intention to join that, (or anything else), he profoundly influenced the way I look at the world, what matters and what does not, more than any of the major religions could.
My 2 best friends in High School: Jerome has tought me the tremendous value of friendship. Rym has thought me to acknowledge the darker side of human nature and to stop being hypocrite about it. Unfortunately I lost contact with them :frowning:. One is either in Ivory coast or in France. The other one is in Algeria.
Leo Tolstoi: War an Peace and its famous epilogue has forever changed my view on the forces that move history and change the world.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I also considered Lennon, but I think I was already past many crossroads in my life when the Beatles became a part of it.

For me, it was Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead. Laugh if you must, but it was the Dead community that opened my eyes and made me realize that my little attempt at having a life that my parents and those around me envisioned for me was not going to work out. I have not completely "dropped out", as did many deadheads, I am a partner in two fairly successful internet companies.

Travelling with the Dead and being a part of the Grateful Dead community freed me to live the life I wanted rather than live out a social circumstance. The biggest thing I learned from my years spent with the "freaks" is that I do not and will not give a shit what anyone else thinks of me. What matters is what I think of myself.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
My Uncle!

He sparked my interest in movies when I thought Star Wars was the best and oldest film I had seen. (SW is a great movie, but I've been exposed of many other greats.)

I know I wouldn't have become interested in silent cinema if he hadn't given me a tape of Intolerance.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I wish I could have been there.
Rain, please explain. You're not that young are you? This band lasted until the mid 90's and it was never to late to jump on board. :)
Or is it that they just did not or rarely came your way? I had the fortune of living on the east coast where every year I had the chance to see them. My only wish is that I started seeing shows in the 70's rather than the 80's!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Rick,
It wasn't until rather late in my life (and I'm 31 now) that I even became fully aware of the Dead and all that the sixties and the Summer of Love entailed. By then, the party was pretty much over and Jerry was already gone.
I didn't really wake up until I was 24 or 25, after reading Mr. Wilson and getting a taste of a certain herbal "medicine." :D

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Besides my Mother & my brother...
Woody Allen
If my future holds any possible success, then it's all because of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks