What's new

Who is SVS ? (1 Viewer)

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys (I assume there are very few women with home theater as a hobby),
I have been reading Sterophile and Sterophile Guide to Home Theater for many years. I know Revel, NHT, Velodyne, B&K ... you know what I mean. Yeah, I even know about Hsu Research, in fact, I like what I read about Hsu, even though I have never heard one yet.
Then, I become a member of this forum and, to be totally honest, it comes across as an advertisement for SVS.
Now don't get me wrong, I have NOTHING against SVS, but why have I never heard of them before? And, yes, I checked out their web site.
Are they the best kept secret since sliced bread?
Lastly, I was once in a demo room with about $150,000 worth of equipment. There were 2 speakers, 2 amps, a pre-amp and a CD player and some really expensive speaker wire and interconnects. Sure it sounded good. Anyone can make a room sound great with a ton of dough. That's why I like what I read about Outlaw, good and inexpensive.
Manufacturers! Are you listening! My Onkyo 898 is hidden, you can't even see it! I don't need a 1/2 inch machined aluminum front.
Any comments?

RichardH

Supporting Actor
SVS is only a few years old; that's probably why you haven't heard more of them. But to online home theater enthusiasts, SVS is synonymous with high quality/quantity bass value!

Kevin T

Screenwriter
if you think we're a commercial for svs...you should read the outlaw 950 thread in the separates section...some have said it's sounds like a friggin' infomercial?! :D
kevin t

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
SVS is known across all the forums I believe, not just HTF. Tom and Ron use them as part of their customer service. That's part of why there's so many discussions about them here. Many people post their questions here knowing they'll get a lot of advice from fellow owners as well as Tom and Ron.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Well, they are talked about in all the forums. But people who are fans of SVS congregate in this forum, the way that Divas by Swans people congregate at AVSfroum, the way that N0rh people congregate at audioreview. It CAN come across as an advertisement sometimes, and clearly Tom and Ron are promoting their products here as much as providing customer service. But there's nothing wrong with that. It is just savvy marketing. For those of us new to the forum though it can be a bit of a curiosity.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tony, SVS is a joint venture by some bass enthusiasts who have now been able to carve out a nice niche in the subwoofer market, especially in the online mail-order arena.

The money spent NOT on marketing (traditional trade publication ads, etc) is reflected in the savings each new SVSub owner enjoys while getting a tremendous bass bargain in the process.

Tom and Ron are two of the most sincere folks you can conduct business on the internet. They know their stuff, and they care about you (as a prospective customer), and their actual customers. I've seen them tirelessly answer so many setup questions, and gone out of their way to make the right recommendation that each and every customer.

Now that you know of SVS, you have some knowledge that will enhance not only your HT setup, but your checking account as well. Use that knowledge well.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
"Tom and Ron use them as part of their customer service. That's part of why there's so many discussions about them here. Many people post their questions here knowing they'll get a lot of advice from fellow owners as well as Tom and Ron."

If i remember corectly, both of these men were frequenters of these forums long before they started SVS

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
You may be right Brian, but in those days you wouldn't have heard of SVS so its moot. Now if you go to their website, they point to this forum as part of their tech support. On their main menu the SVS Talk button is a link to here. They also do a sort of advertising for their customer service. There have been many times I've seen Tom and Ron hop in discussions about other subwoofers to offer advice for setup or which to choose when their's isn't being considered. I think I've even seen them recommending competitors to potential customers overseas.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Tony,

the fact that so many people talk about SVS, Divas, Outlaw, is just a testement to the quality of product that you are getting, especialy when value is important. My guess is you had not have heard of any of these companies had it not been for the internet. It is just this reason why most big companies have had the consumer under their thumb for so long, the gap is closing due to all internet forums.

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
Greg Br,
Not true! Outlaw received one hell of a write-up in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.
I gotta say, I trust those guys... if they say Outlaw rocks, I'm 100% behind it!
For the record, that bum Russ Herschelmann could learn a thing or two from the SVS guys.... at least they returned an e-mail I sent them, WITHIN 24 HOURS !!
You see, I faxed Russ on no less than 3 separate occasions with some questions about my home theater set-up. I even inquired as to the costs for his services...
He could of least sent back a reply; something along the lines of, "You can't afford me".
That was 2 years ago...
This really turned me off to his monthly running article, "some rich dude spent $300,000 in a home theater and got ripped off but I'm going to fix it".
I hope his car breaks down and he takes it to one of my relatives...we'll get back to him in 2 years.
Tony

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

*Granatelli*?

Why is that last name ringing a bell? Grantelli racing? Granatelli motor works?

Your reference to car service in the last post made me think I might not be imagining this...

TV ~ala sVs

Greg Br

Second Unit
Tony,

My bad, I meant you more as a generalazation to the public majorority. I have to be honest as someone pretty new to this game I had never heard of SVS and Outlaw, but it did not take me long to bye products from SVS and in the future when I get into seperates the Outlaw will get strong consideration.

I might need to get a subscription to stereophile in the future.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks