What's new

Who is still using their HD-DVD player? (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Troy (2004) HD-DVD

Dolby Stereo TrueHD 5.1

Dolby Stereo Digital Plus 5.1

11888091_10153496390855149_5900078399046679600_n.jpg

11878930_10153496391120149_4063532644525809308_o.jpg

11144476_10153496391565149_6985363186828839631_o.jpg

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
My HD-D3 (Membership club version of HD-A3) nor my HD-A2 seem to be playing HD-DVD's now. But they are playing regular DVD's. I tried a couple of different HD DVD's.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My HD-A1 stopped playing all discs this past year. Running a lens cleaner didn't help so I parted ways with it and my 50+ title HD-DVD collection of which I am slowly repurchasing only the titles I really liked on Blu-ray.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Kind of a bummer. What did you do with your collection? Sell it on ebay? I assume I can't sell the players since they don't seem to be playing HD-DVD's. I'm almost thinking it has to be the discs since both play DVD's perfectly fine. Neither ended up getting much use.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I decided I will finally be letting go of my HD-XA2 and a handful of discs. There are still HD-DVDs in my collection that are preferred over their Blu-Ray counterparts and some that do not yet exist on Blu-Ray, but I am to the point where I can transition without much regret. Also, I need to make space for the inevitable 4K player. :)

When I am ready, I might post an ad in the classified area here.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
JeremyR said:
Kind of a bummer. What did you do with your collection? Sell it on ebay? I assume I can't sell the players since they don't seem to be playing HD-DVD's. I'm almost thinking it has to be the discs since both play DVD's perfectly fine. Neither ended up getting much use.
Gave them to a colleague who still has a working player.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
My Samsung dual-HD format player is still going strong. I just watched "Midnight Run" on HD-DVD, and the only thing that didn't work was that the forthcoming Blu-Ray got delayed by a few months. Usually the Blu-Ray of the HD-DVD I just watched comes out immediately afterward. Maybe I have a faulty loader.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Grand Prix, and Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) in the last couple of months on my HD-A3 and still plays them with no issues.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although I'm slowly "backing up" all my HD DVDs on Blu-ray, they still run fine.
Yes, I too have a few that are still unwrapped.

I own two Toshiba's, a US one and a European one (just like my two Panasonic BD players).
The European HD DVD player is my default for European DVDs as well.

Cees

Last edited:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I have 3 Toshiba HD-A1's, and one "top of the line" HD-XA2. Talk about early adopter"itis"!

Haven't spun up an HD-DVD in over a year. And I still have a shelf and a half full of 'em!

Won't be happening with UHD, I can assure you. I'll let someone else be "fearless" this time around.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Pardon my ignorance, but I never knew what HD-DVD was, or is.

Believe it or not, I was an early adopter, still have an Toshiiba 2109 from 1998, works perfectly, so never switched to a Blu-Ray player. Talk about old fashioned.

Doesn't have an HDMI output for the HDTV, so use my laptop. Will break down one of these days and upgrade :)

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Don't feel bad Stan. I still have a Toshiba SD-5109 DVD player from around 1999-2000 that works great and has never not read a dvd.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Don't feel bad Stan. I still have a Toshiba SD-5109 DVD player from around 1999-2000 that works great and has never not read a dvd.

Same thing with my player. So many software/hardware issues with early machines, but I've played thousands of DVDs, never, ever had any problems. Other than no HDMI output, it's still going.

Pure coincidence, but typing this message on a new Toshiba laptop, Windows 10, etc. I'm very happy and wow, it is so fast. Not at all like older laptops and PCs, where it would take a few minutes to boot up, load your programs, etc. This laptop might take 15 seconds and good to go.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My dad's cheapo Circuit City DVD player died, so I gave him my Toshiba HD-A2. I had to warn him it would take 30 seconds before it would be fully powered up and operable. :eek:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
That was the third DVD player I ever I owned, after a first-generation Pioneer and a second-generation Sony that had terrible sync problems. I replaced the Sony with the Toshiba, which became my first progressive-scan DVD player. I loved the twin-drawers, which weren't super useful, but fun. And it had lots of useful features, like 5.1 and 2.0 analog outputs, component video (separate progressive and interlaced outputs as I recall) and S-video outputs, and HDCD decoding for CD's. All those outputs in those pre-HDMI days meant maximum versatility in set-up. I'm glad to hear your 5109 is still going!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TV has the standard RGB component inputs, I guess I could hook things up that way, but am I correct in guessing that wouldn't be High Def? Blu-Ray players are incredibly cheap now, so maybe time to give in and upgrade. I just love my old Toshiba, always works, but it's almost 18 years old.

Has an S-video output, but TV doesn't have a matching input. Older technology keeps fading away.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
TV has the standard RGB component inputs, I guess I could hook things up that way, but am I correct in guessing that wouldn't be High Def? Blu-Ray players are incredibly cheap now, so maybe time to give in and upgrade. I just love my old Toshiba, always works, but it's almost 18 years old.

Has an S-video output, but TV doesn't have a matching input. Older technology keeps fading away.
Most TVs with RGB inputs support HD, usually just 1080i. I don't know about your specific model

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Most TVs with RGB inputs support HD, usually just 1080i. I don't know about your specific model

TV is an LG, model LN53. 42 inches, LED (did not want LCD). Friend had an nice LCD TV, but it suddenly developed this weird "shadow" that covered about 1/3rd of the screen, so thought it was safer to go LED. Bought it from Amazon about a year and a half ago. Love it, never had a problem. I almost wish I'd gone a bit bigger, but I'm happy with it.

It was $400 at the time. Shocking, considering I paid nearly $1500 for my old 36 inch CRT TV. I was fine with it, but one day the green colors all disappeared, so everything looked red/purple. Not worth loading a 200 lb. TV into my car and get it repaired, so time to upgrade :)

Bought the nice HDMI cable, all set to connect the DVD player, then discovered it was ancient, built way before HDMI ports existed.. I'll try the RGB stuff and report back next week.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks