What's new

Who is picking up Rainbow Six 3? (1 Viewer)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Why do they insist on leaving the split screen function out every time they design a game?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Why do they insist on leaving the split screen function out every time they design a game?
Probably putting more emphasis on the online aspect? I read a comment in I think Play Magazine along the same lines, something like multiplayer split screen is all but dead in the shooter.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Probably putting more emphasis on the online aspect?
It also generates almost more overhead. The game not only needs to calculate one complete set of graphical and AI variables, but it then would have to calculate a second complete set of variables and graphical rendering for the two points of view. I don't know what the XBox's CPU capacity is, but you can just about be guraranteed that these games are maximized both visually and audibly for single player and could take a severe performance hit when multiple players are concerned.

There's also the most basic reason: profit. From their perspective, why should they develop a game where two people can play from a single license when they can force both people to each purchase license?

EDIT: Whoops. Edited wrong message. :b

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'm thinking about giving this one a try but I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea of how it plays. Is it more akin to Ghost Recon or SOCOM(in terms of online play that is). I've played the original Rainbow Six many years ago on my old Powermac and while I enjoyed it, I hated how regimented you had to be while playing(the whole planning stage, issuing go codes). SOCOM and Ghost Recon were fine for me in this regard though. If anyone can give me a quick idea or how it plays I'd appreciate it. In the meantime I'll check out some reviews.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
When did this game release? I thought it came out today.LOL :D I guess I'll pick this up today with GTA III/VC, and Finding Nemo. I wanna try out that french game XIII too.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
No GTA at best buy :angry: Picked up Rainbow6, hope to see you guys this weekend, since I know none of you will be playing when I get off work (midnight est. :frowning: ). All I can say is be gentle, doesn't sound as if the game is very easy to play.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I have been using the ignore function for 3 days and I'm loving it, Jay.
:rolleyes:I let it go like I said I would and I'm loving it - without the need for the ignore function. :p)

Obviously, R6 3 is not a "direct port" from the PC version since there are map and gameplay differences. Is Ghost Recon the same way?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Is Ghost Recon the same way?
No, not really. Ghost Recon cuts out a few things such as the third person perspective, less teams available to order etc... however the maps are almost identical for the most part. Some of the gameplay changes to indeed give the game a "newer" feel over the PC game but if you already own the PC versions the Xbox versions may be overkill (unless you want the Live functionality associated with those ports which is totally subjective).

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
No, trust me. I do not have nor want an Xbox for various reasons. It's just a curiosity stemming from the network administrator side of me.

Xbox Live requires Internet connectivity, and obviously the PS2 has Internet connectivity as well. Internet connectivity requires TCP/IP. That being the case, there is no reason technically why Xbox, PS2, and PC gamers can't join each other. TCP/IP is TCP/IP regardless of the computer that runs it, so making sure that the datastream is compatible throughout all systems would be the only requirement. This of course requires that there be some commonality (beyond the title :)) between games when it comes to the multiplayer aspect.

I'm just kind of curious why this kind of really massive on-line gameplay potential has never (to my knowledge) been explored. I'm never going to buy and Xbox; I might buy a PS2; but my PC comes first. If the game companies think that I'm going to buy an Xbox just for a game, they're sorely mistaken -- but that doesn't mean that I won't buy it for the PC. Three different hardware platforms does not mean that there needs to be exclusivity among them, and the curious side of me wonders why this doesn't seem to be explored.

Obviously in games like Rainbox Six and Ghost Recon where there are fundamental differences between the versions, such connectivity is nearly impossible. But I think that the companies could have a marketing boon by creating a game, such as R6 or GR, that touts "Play against your friends, whether they have a PS2, an Xbox, or a PC!"

And when it comes to the voice aspect, just include the necessary compatible software (which I'm sure can be developed for each platform) and if necessary a compatible microphone. Again, it doesn't matter what the platform is as long as the datastream is recognized by all versions.

Just my two one-hundredths of a U.S. dollar.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
And when it comes to the voice aspect, just include the necessary compatible software (which I'm sure can be developed for each platform) and if necessary a compatible microphone. Again, it doesn't matter what the platform is as long as the datastream is recognized by all versions.
In a perfect world, yes this would be fantastic but this is a highly competitive market we're dealing with. Especially in this generation where for the first time there are three viable players trying to get gamer dollars.

Exclusivity and unique features such as voice chat for all games on Live, EA Sports online on PS2, Gamecubes GBA connectivity, or PC mods and open online play etc...etc..is the life blood of these platforms. It ends up costing us some well earned money but I doubt the console and PC manufacturers mind;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm intriqued by this game but so little money with all the DVD box sets that have come out I think I may just wait and pick up counterstrike. How many of you guys are gonna give CS a try ?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
im pretty sure a bunch will be getting counterstrike. However dont pass up Rainbow 6. At night we always have 16 player games and there are always more people on then that

capt

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
How many of you guys are gonna give CS a try ?
Strictly Rainbox 6 for me. There were 17 people on last night (I was the unlucky guy who came in late & couldn't get into the server). It's top fun online, especially if you're on the same team as MrJames ;)

Damien

Supporting Actor
Even though some problems may have come up with planning, the lack of co-op is a major bummer and is not dead at all, splitscreen deathmatch is on it's way out. Halo, RTCW, and GR had this so many people including me would of loved to see make it in especially with the scripted nature of the levels and enemy patterns it couldn't of been too difficult.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I just don't think that most of the sales will be from gratification as much as they will be from no other choice of platforms
Well of course not but thats not exactly the topic of discussion. You had mentioned exclusivity and why there needed to be some level of such for the various platforms in question. The truth is there doesn't need to be. The reality is that money is the driving force behind this (and any) industry. As I mentioned earlier, there are services to be sold here.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks