What's new

Who is picking up Rainbow Six 3? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
The M16 is my fave, though I've only played Live for a couple hours.

I like the desert Eagle pistol and the WP grenades.

John Doran

Screenwriter
i quite frankly find the number of weapons to choose from a little bewildering...

i tried the first mission with one of the 5.62mm automatic rifles as well as a sniper rifle; i'm not sure the stealth engine is sensitive enough to make the sniper rifle a good choice, at least on the first level.

but maybe i'll try it again tonight.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I am looking at picking this one up after reading all the glowing reviews and positive comments here. Problem is I already have Raven Shield on PC... Is this different enough to justify $50? Do the voice commands through the headset work? Do they work well? Is the online play laggy at all? I have played it quite a bit on PC and had fun with it but could NEVER find anyone online with a GameVoice or even Roger Wilco so all my PC experiences were played "typing" chat.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. And I must say that I played the demo on this month's OXM and liked the play mechanics a little better on XBOX than on PC - something I was truly not expecting :)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
The voice commands do work...but quite honestly, I haven't used them very much. The controller setup is done quite well.

I have noticed a few times where my Xbox communicator mic picked up a sound and the team mistook that for an order. It's only happened a few times.

I really would recommend this game, even for players of the PC version, especially if you never got to play online with voice chat.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chris. From what I played of the OXM demo, I would agree that the team commands were mapped to the controller very well. I can't imagine being able to issue orders through voice and NOT using it though ;) O.k. well I am buying this today then... Damn you guys cost me money Every Time! Oh well, see you online over the weekend :)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Yawn, I knew someone would bring that up or something like Roger Wilco and most players are NOT going to have this unlike XBOX live where most players get the headset as part of their kit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yawn, why does someone always have to have a condescending statement when someone else has an answer? Forgive us for not having or wanting an Xbox therefore depriving ourselves of the clear superiority of the Xbox Live headset kit. And how dreadful that someone dare to suggest that a PC does have the capabilities of voice-over-IP, even if the software is not built in.

Thank you, David, for mentioning Ventrilo. I'm looking into utilizing it for speech during on-line gaming and have already installed the server on my Solaris system, even though I'm obviously depriving myself for not doing it through a wonderful Xbox.

Yawn.
Thanks both for the aside. Now back to the game...

David_Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Dean,and i dont want to start any trouble here,if you read your post you said
being able to communicate via voice with your team mates was like playing a whole new game.
which to me sounded like you might be unaware that there are ways to use voice on the pc...i was not trying to attack you in anyway...if it sounded that way...i'm sorry.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I generally don't anymore. I've run into way, way too many arrogant, egotistical jackasses who have no tolerance for those who are less experienced than they are. Idiotic statements like "My team sucks!" and "We lost because you guys are amateurs!" just completely piss me off and make public, on-line gaming not worth my time. It's a game - no more, no less. And if people can't get over that fact (and that is a fact), I have other things to do with my time.

It's a shame that the immature (in attitude) minority have to ruin it for everyone else; but when the fun of on-line gaming becomes overshadowed by the intolerance of a few arrogant nincompoops, I'll stick with reading a book or watching TV.

That being said, I still do a lot of cooperative Ghost Recon with a friend in North Carolina, but I've pretty much abandoned the public, on-line gaming scene for the reasons listed above.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
;) Don't worry, Bruce. There's no fighting. I was blatantly accused of "attacking", which is an unnecessarily strong word, (see post #52) and responded in kind based on the statements that were previously mentioned. That's all that I needed to do. It's done as far as I'm concerned. I have no doubt that the 2D nature of bulletin boards came into play since the emotion behind our statements is completely lost, but words still have meaning even without the evident emotions behind them.

it's time to use the great ignore feature of the message board software.
Whatever. :rolleyes

Anyway ... to reel it back to the thread topic ...

David, if you have a regular gathering of people who get together and don't do the "my team sucks" kind of deal, I'm certainly game - no pun intended. Does Raven Shield require that all gamers on a server be at the same patch level? I have not yet upgraded to v1.41 because I have some concerns about doing that that I need to check on first.

David_Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Yes,John you would need to get the latest patch,but on the good side it is an anti cheat patch,so it is worth your while to do.For what its worth we all play for fun and have a few guys that a very new and dont get down on people for not doing well,matter of fact we boot people that act that way.All the people that come on our comms are age 26 and up only....just because it seems the younger crowd tend to be a little to lippy and tend to be there for anything BUT fun.My msn messenger addy is [email protected] should you care to contact me for our ventrilo server addy.

David_Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you can't lie down?I ask because you can in the pc version.(and no i'm not sayin it makes the pc version better in any way if u can't...lol):wink:

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
So far, I'm really enjoying the game. I typically don't like squad-based shooters but I'm finding this one highly enjoyable. I'm stuck on level three where the terrorists are firing rocket launchers (or grenade launchers) at you while holding the final hostage of the level. I can't seem to take them out fast enough before they shoot the hostage. Well worth the money, in my opinion. Now, if only Brute Force was this good.....

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Criticizing the admins now for not doing their job?
We've never seen that before. ;) Both of you guys need to let it go. Using the ignore function or whatever. If you have any further problems let me know directly but enough clutter in this thread.

Which, thankfully, is back on track to discussing RS3. I'm going to have to play that demo since picking it up. Been playing new Splinter Cell levels and Panzer Dragoon and this one only got a brief (albeit cool) glimpse.

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
Gameplay is a little frustrating for me... its like a big damn Simon Says. Memorize where the bad guys are, and waltz through the level. It looks pretty, sure, but some random seeding would have helped here. Also, whats the deal with no split screen?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks