Who is gonna help me?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rick Westfall, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

I am in the middle of construction of a new home. I have decided that putting an extra room above the garage would make a good HT room for me. The dimensions will be using those crazy ratios I see floated all over this forum. Celings: Vaulted to 10'
    Width: 12.4'
    Length: 15.8'

Initially, the room dimensions are small, but if all I'm using it for is to watch flicks then it should be fine. My question is who would like to help me put this together? Size of screen is where I'm starting because I have read varying comments regarding screen size. HT chairs is next.

I'm open to suggestions

Rick

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Your room is about the size of mine. I would suggest a screen of 100" in a 16x9 configuration would be a nice place to start. Are you planning on two rows of seating though?

3. Rick Westfall

I was thinking about 2 rows which makes me a little concerned about the screen size. By the way, I was very happy to see that you own PSB speakers also. Hard to find many PSB owners in my neck of the woods.

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    My theater is a little smaller than yours about 12' x 14'. I have a 91" (16x9) screen and 1 row of seats. Basement Theater
    If you can, set up your projector and use folding chairs to size your screen and seating to your preferences.
    If you can change the size of your room, another consideration is the acoustics. Some room dimensions are better than other dimensions. I was surprised how much a few inches make. Here is a link to a spreadsheet that I used. Frequency Response Calculator This also helps with seating locations.
    Keep us posted on your progress, Good luck![​IMG]
    Dave

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When you do get a projector finally, I would sugegst you throw up the image on the plain wall to begin with, you may decide that you would be happier with the bigger screen after a while before comitting to a screen size by purchasing a screen. Also, many here have made their own screens. Personally, I like a projector with a decent contrast ratio and resolution although my current one is a little older. What budget do you have in mind for one.

6. Rick Westfall

OK...so this probably needs a new thread, but what projectors are your using? I see Neil with a Sony. drobbins looks like a Infocus from the pics. True?

Rick

7. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Good eye,
    It's a 4805. At my projectors distance a 91" screen is about as large as I can get. If I were to add another row of seating in front, the pixels are very clear.
    Dave

8. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

You've really only got room for one row of "good" seating. The front row would likely be a little close, but that depends on the projector you go with.

92"-110" is a good range for screens and again, would depend on what projector you go with.

What's your budget, broken down for things like projector, screen, etc.?

9. Rick Westfall

I was at the Home Theater Store and saw a 65" Mits rear projection Diamond series for $2999. I guess that would be a good place to start a budget. If I can get a good projector and maybe complete a DIY screen for the same price I'd be happy if the quality wouldn't be lacking.

Rick

10. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    I'm certain you can get a very good projector and DIY screen for that price.

11. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Shoot, you can get a real screen and projector for $3000.
    Like a Dalite screen and an Infocus 4805 or Panasonic PT-AE700u. Or a Carada screen and the above projectors.

If you have the right room for front projection, I'd highly recommend going that route over an RPTV. It's much more enjoyable IMO, if you can control the ambient light. An RPTV is an eyesore and takes up too much room. I have both setups at my house so I speak from experience. [​IMG]

The Infocus 4805 puts out an awesome picture for the money. But I wouldn't go bigger than a 92" screen, due to the lower resolution. Going with a 92" screen and having your seating about 14' back will help to eliminate seing pixels.
    If you want to go bigger, then the Panasonic 700 is a good choice. It's pretty flexible as far as mounting options and placement. I prefer dlp over lcd myself, but both pj's have their benefits.

Shameless plug: Rick, I do HT installs as my part time job. If you need advice, demo's, etc. that I can help with, let me know. I love this stuff and am happy to share or chat about it. If you need equipment, I can help there too.