Who is actually looking forward to Jonny Quest and The Jetsons season 2?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Carlos Garcia, May 8, 2004.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I was wondering how many of you are actually looking forward to season 2 of Jonny Quest and The Jetsons? While I love both of these shows, and will be getting the season 1 sets, I have no interest in their "2nd season". For me the reason is simple, both of these shows second season were done so many years later, they lost the charm of the original, and to me the 2nd seasons are like night and day different from the first. The Flintstones, on the other hand, was like The Simpsons of the 60s, and those season sets were created by the same people who did season 1 (even though the show did get weaker with later episodes). I am looking forward to season 2-6 (some of season 6 was good, some was bad) of the Flintstones. However, every other Hanna Barbera show that has season sets, really don't appeal to me, outside of season 1. In the case of Scooby-Doo, their season 1-2 set is when the show peaked. A good rule of thumb for me as to what shows I won't buy are episodes that introduced "cute little characters". This list includes shows with Gazoo (The Flintstones), Scrappy Doo (Scooby Doo), and Orbity (The Jetsons).

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Nobody is looking forward to the second seasons of these shows. They don't exist!

Discounting episodes made later on for syndication, neither of these shows made it past the first season. WB should have considered calling these "The Complete Series" rather than "Complete First Season." And I don't know for sure, but I think "Scooby Doo, Where Are You" only lasted two seasons, both of which are in the release. Another "Complete Series" deal.

Maybe they wanted consistency with the Flintstones release. There are six seasons of that show.

3. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

For the most part, The Jetsons was the same show that it was in the first season as it was in the later incarnation. You can't really tell the difference between the storylines and animation.

Orbity in no way is on the same level of being annoying as Scrappy Doo and the Great Gazoo which several episodes based on them and to a degree, took over the show. They really didn't do that with Orbity.

Paul

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I heartily agree.
    This is especially true in Jonny Quest's case; because the titles of the subsequent series later on in the 1980s were different -- Well, at least the "Real Adventures" definitely had a differing moniker. And the 80s series did too, if you believe what TV-Tome shows. It says "The New Jonny Quest" for the second variant.

So, in truth, calling this new May 11th DVD release "The Complete Series" would indeed be more accurate. And I'd have preferred it personally, having no interest at all in the latter versions (of either series).

In fact, a couple of websites a few months ago WERE reporting (though not confirmed at that time) that the WB DVD title would be called "The Complete Series". But, obviously the Warner folks had other ideas on the matter.

5. Carlos Garcia

It's all about money. If Warner feels that the first (and really only) season of both Jonny Quest and The Jetsons was superior to the other (so called) seasons, then it only makes sense that they would try and release future sets with the name "second season". This makes alot of sense moneywise because the average buyer may not realize season 1 was the real deal, and they might spring for the sub-par sequels, thinking those epsiodes were still part of the original show. Only real fans who remember the shows know what to buy and what not to buy, but maybe by releasing these subsequent efforts under the name "second season", the average guy can be duped. More power to Warners...I pity the average consumer.

6. david_slater

david_slater Stunt Coordinator

hay, i may buy them just because Warner was good enounth to release the original shows in the first place.
    if this helps Warner to keep poping them out.
    go Warner!!! [​IMG]

7. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Until just recently, I had absolutely no idea that 'The Jetsons' were re-incarnated in the 80's. I watched it a lot as a kid, and I saw absolutely no difference between the 60s version and the 80s, and ultimately presumed it was part of the same series.

I say release it all! Watching the 80s version is just as much a part of my youth as watching the original, especially since I thought it was all one series. I would love to add them all to my collection.

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I'm very much looking forward to the Jetsons.
    Not so much Quest, never really got into that show...

9. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I will second Andrew's comments. I was just about to post the same thing. I'm looking forward to the later Jetsons episodes because I was born in 1982, so when I watched the show before school when I was a kid, i had no idea they were from different eras. I think most people from my generation who watched the show when they were kids would feel the same way.

So in response to the thread title, I would say that the younger generation of Jetsons fans are looking forward to the season 2 release because we grew up with the entire show (60s eps and 80s eps) without knowing the difference between the 2.

10. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Like Scott and Andrew, I seriously couldn't tell the difference between the two Jetsons series. In fact, they are not even referred to as different series. It's one series that took a huge hiatus before returning.

Are you going to call Family Guy a different series when it returns from a 5-year hiatus?

11. Carlos Garcia

I think that Family Guy is a different case altogether, since the same team that did that show will still be working on it when it's released again next year. The Jetsons (1962), however, I remember when I was little, and I loved those episodes. Then when the 80s version came out, to me it just looked different. They introduced the little cute character (Orbity), and made Rosie a permanent character. The show just didn't feel the same to me, and alot of the comedy elements were lost. To this day, when I see the opening title card and there's a picture of Orbity on it, I cringe that it will be one of "those" episodes. However, since I've read that every episode of the season 1 set will (for whatever wrong reason) all open with those Orbity titles, I better get over it and just enjoy the show.

12. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Carlos, the animation was hardly changed. The colors were brighter; that's about the size of it. All the principal voice actors reprised their roles. It was still a Hanna-Barbera production. Like I said, when I used to watch it, I never knew the difference. TVtome.com lists all of the episodes as a single series.

Rosie becoming a permanent character was a good thing; and Orbity's role in the show was so small (except in the episode in which Elroy gets him) that there's no way he could make or break the series. Although I never did have any problem with him, for the record.

13. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I thought Orbity was a cute character. lol. At least he didn't pop up every 2 minutes like Gazoo did on 'The Flintstones'. [​IMG]

But as I said before, I absolutely could not tell the difference between the 60s version or the 80s. So in my eyes, and I'm sure many who spent countless hours playing the old Atari 1600 back in the day, will consider this as part of one series, and one series only.

As Dane said above, the animation was virtually unchanged, as were the voice actors. It would be extremely hard to differentiate the two, if it were not for Orbity who appears in the 80s version. It was actually a shock to the system when I learned a few months ago that the first and second seasons were over two decades apart.

I hope to god Warner continues and brings out the rest. Otherwise, this series will not seem complete.

14. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    The Jetsons never did anything for me.

OTOH - the original Jonny Quest scared me shitless at times!
    Can't wait to revisit this series again!

15. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Johnny Quest all the way! I was not into the Jetsons as much as I was into the Flintstones. Like others here have stated, I will only buy the first (original) show of JQ.

16. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Releasing Jonny Quest 'Season 2' is a travesty in its own right, and should be kept confined to a hokey villain's lair for all eternity. [​IMG]

Assuming that 'Season 1' performs well, I pity the unfortunates who don't know what they're buying as a followup. I'm not a completist, so I can easily stop at the one and only season.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

But an even bigger travesty will be when/(if) the third JQ variant hits the streets ("The Real Adventures..."). **put vomit smiley here**

However, surely WB (or whoever it will be) won't try to pull the wool TOO far down over the orbs of the unsuspecting buying public re. the third series, seeing as how it has a completely different title than just "Jonny Quest".

They wouldn't be so brazen and misleading enough to just call that horrid third version simply Jonny Quest Season 3 .... would they??

*ponders question thoughtfully*

18. Carlos Garcia

[​IMG]

I second that emotion!

19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I agree with Carlos. I hope WB continues Flinstones 2-6 and other great series and they forget about the weak later Jetsons and Johnny Quest. I will definately not buy them if they are released. Whenever I watch a re-run of the Jetsons I can tell immediately if its an 80's one or an original in the 1st few seconds and I always turn the channel if its an 80's one. They definately look and especially feel different. The orginal 60's version feels like the adult prime time show it was while the 80's version feels like the Saturday morning cartoon that it was. In short the 80's version is more cheaply made and has weaker scripts and too many cutsy saturday morning kid show elements. The same thing happened to the Flintstones after Season 6 of the original when they made it into a Saturday morning show as "Pebbles and Bam-Bam show" and "The Flinstones Comedy Hour" . I wouldn't buy those either.