Who honestly thinks that Video On Demand will overtake DVD.....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Rogers, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

AS reported in the newest issue of Video Business ( as well as many other articles in recent months) Dvd is expected to grow for many years, but that VOD will begin to take over and gradually make DVD not obsolete.. but definately not the preferred format.

Now.. my question is. Just about EVERY person I have ever talked to says that they would rather own a hardcopy and play it on their tv vs. playing on their pc.. Or playing on their tv if need be.

Is there anyone here who is keen to VOD and thinks that it will explode and rise above everythign else?

I'm not looking to flame anyone or anything.. I just don't understand where these companies get their research when I cant find anyone that would be that excited about VOD

They keep saying its going to be big.. and it never really gets rolling..

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The only people who are keen on VOD are the studios (especially Warner), since they see it as a permanent income stream for every movie. Unbeknownst to them, people would rather actually hold something in their hands. At heart, the vast majority of people are Luddites.

3. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

I guess I must be in the minority, but I'd love to have the option to watch everything VOD and never have a hard copy. Will that ever happen? Not sure it will, but I'll be hoping that it does.

Why do I feel this way?

Convenience and storage space mostly. Having the ability to watch anything, whenever I want, simply by typing in the name (or doing a basic search) and then ordering it is well worth the savings of time to me of having to drive down to the store to rent the same movie, watch it once and then drive back to return it or to spend the extra money and buy it yet still maybe only watch it once. I don't really watch movies repeatedly, over and over, preferring instead to continually be watching new movies. I'm also a bit different in usually not caring to even watch the extras on a disc. Once again, I'd rather be spending that time watching a different movie, and my free time always seems to be growing increasingly shorter.

Likewise, storage space is an issue. I'm having enough trouble trying to find places for my ever growing CD collection, which is actually pretty small compared to lots of people at just a 1,000 CD's. If I had a copy of every movie I've watched I'd be drowning in a sea of discs, most of them never to be watched again (or at least not watched again for quite some time).

Will VOD be more expensive than simply renting a movie online or at a store? Sure it will, but to me, IMHO, it's worth the marginal added expense for the convenience of total spontaneity (in my ideal vision everything would be available VOD) and freedom from storage hassles.

Is my opinion typical? Probably not. I'm not trying to advocate that VOD replace pre-recorded media altogether, but simply that I'd like to be given the option to pick the solution that best meets my needs.

Hope this might help to explain where some of us are coming from when you read articles like the one mentioned at the start of this thread.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Not I. Die VOD Die!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Here's my opinion...

VOD only makes sense if:
    1) It's cheaper
    2) Connection is instant and I can store it at home

Basically, I still prefer a storage medium instead of VOD.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    My Direct TV Pay Per View w/Tivo works pretty close to the video on demand model. If it is a title that I was considering renting but not owning and it is available OAR with DD5.1 sound, I would much rather PPV & Tivo it for $4, watch it at my convenience, and delete it when I am done than deal with Blockbuster and late fees.

Regards,

7. JoeMKal

JoeMKal Stunt Coordinator

VOD will easily take over when its fast and cheap, but I doubt it will happen for a long time

8. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Ken, your Tivo can record 5.1 audio? I wasn't aware any models could do that.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Nope. I don't see VOD taking over the DVD market anytime soon.

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Not me. [​IMG] To me video on demand means putting the DVD of my choice in the player.

11. WillG

WillG Producer

Will never happen. And here's why, because it will alienate every fan of DVD from enthusiasts to the J6P market. Do people thing OAR versions of movies will be widely available on VOD? Nope! How about commentaries, documentaries, or deleted scenes, Nope. So what about The J6P market. They don't care about such extras that DVDs have to offer, right? Wrong, even if they never watch them, the 2-Disc special edition label is the bait itself. In my estimation, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. Maybe VOD will do well enough to sustain itself eventually, but it will never overtake DVD or any future hard format. Haven't we had Pay Per View for like 20 years? I don't recall anyone chucking their VCRs because of that

12. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Many of us enjoy having a collection of movies, so video on demand will never replace that. Why not get rid of printed books and just let people download books in Adobe format?Same concept. That would never fly for book lovers, and video on demand won't fly with movie lovers.

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Unless they don't put out the DVD's anymore.

If I have this right, and digital finally takes over, they will have control over us. If we want to watch a movie (even on cable), they will be able to send another signal through so that we cannot tape it.

VOD would be our only choice. They will be able to charge what they want, and yes, record our viewing habits and send us junk/email accordingly. Welcome to 1984!

Glenn

14. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

But that's never going to happen. Movies you want will be unavailable for various reasons (on moratorium, legal battles about copyright, etc.) and many films will only be available in censored or pan & scan versions.

I'll admit that VOD might someday be a legitimate replacement models for rentals as opposed to video stores. But as an alternative to dvd ownership, it's a dud.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

16. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I don't see this happening anytime soon. Not for a long time in fact. There are too many people who wasn't something to hold. I know some people who won't even shop online because they want to see and hold the object before they buy it, not that that's quite the same thing. It reminds me of a friend of mine who is very against leasing a vehicle because you never ever "own" anything. It just reminds me of that. It may happen, someday. I do like the idea of being able to watch ANY movie the studio has, but we've been waiting so long for Indy trilogy and original Star Wars on dvd, that it probably is affecting my decision.

17. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    If someone asked me 10 years ago if I thought that downloading music from the internet would replace commercial CDs, I'd have thought they were crazy. We're not there yet, but it's now easy to see the day when downloading music will be preferred to CDs by the majority of music buyers. But what is one of the key things that makes this work? The fact that I can save the music on my hard drive (I use my Mac as a music server) and the fact that I can burn it on a CD.

So, if they allow us to obtain a movie by downloading, then burn it on some kind of optical disc for permanent storage, yeah, I think it could become the preferred method (assuming choice and quality are comparable). But will they let us do that? I highly doubt it. Therefore, I believe we're one heckuva long way from VOD replacing DVD.

18. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

19. John_bri

John_bri Extra

that's like saying bottle water will take over tap.

20. WillG

WillG Producer