What's new

Who here went from one CS/CS+ to two?? (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered a 16-46 CS+ and Samson S1000 I have thus far been EXTREMELY impressed with the bass output and the total lack off "boominess" from this sub.
However, I do manage to induce "clacking" on very bass heavy scenes during my movie viewing ... To say I watch movies loudly is an understatement! ;)
Anyway, I know from speaking to Tom V I can expect a 6db gain by adding another 16-46+, but in the real world, what does this equate too?
I know that I'll be able to recalibrate and have a higher audio capability before inducing "clacking", but other than that does the additional sub provide more "oomph" on a gut level?
Will I feel/notice the difference? Or will it just be harder to max out?
Thanks in advance ...

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Here is what I can tell you from my experience. I have a fairly difficult room (visit my web site if you want more info) and I used to have a single CS. I ended up nuking a driver in it so I put my old powered Advent sub back into service as well. With this combination I had the following settings H/K AVR510 was set at -3dB on the subwoofer and a RS meter reading of 76dB. I was still able to bottom out the single CS during the SW:EPI THX intro and other heavy bass scenes but it was much better than with the CS by itself.
I have since added dual CS+/S1000 to my CS. My current calibration numbers are H/K AVR510 at -7dB (a 4dB drop) with a RS meter setting of 79dB (a 2dB gain). When I add the single CS into the mix the RS meter setting jumps to 83dB. This is a 4dB gain over the dual CS+'s or a total of 6dB over my previous combo at a much reduced receiver setting.
What does this mean? Well since I have dropped the H/K AVR510 setting 4dB I have gained more headroom for the single CS. Also the dual CS+ alone give me more output at a lower receiver setting. So yes adding subwoofer will increase the headroom at a certain receiver setting or allow you to crank up the output by a couple of dB's without damaging the sub. In my situation this means that the couch vibrates, you can feel your pant legs moving, my dog jumps around, my cabinets rattle, cds fall off the shelves, and I can feel it in my chest. None of this happened before :)
Of course use this information at your own risk as I am not going to purchase a new driver for you :)
Laters,
Jeff

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Schweet! :D
This sounds like exactly what I was looking forward too ...
I'm actually insane enough to consider 2 pairs of S1000 with dual 16-46+ subs!!!
Ah well time will tell for that one ... Hee hee ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks