Who Here Uses A Receiver To Switch Video Inputs?...any comments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich H, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Many videophiles, it seems, still wouldn't be caught dead running their video inputs through an AV receiver, believing that it will visibly degrade the signal.

Yet there are also a lot of Home Theater buffs who use their AV receiver for video switching, and who don't seem to notice any degradation of the picture.

Have times changed? Is it now OK to run one's video through an AV receiver? (Yes, I know, bandwidth is an issue...).

My Question to this forum:

1. Do you use your AV receiver to switch your video signals? If so, do you perceive any signal degradation (have you looked for signal degradation?).

2. If you don't, why not? Do you run your cables directly to the monitor, or have you tried outboard video switchers?

Many thanks.

Rich H.

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I use my DA5ES as the video switcher. I have a/b dvd, and satellite with no degradation. I ALWAYS use my receiver to watch any source(cause DPLII makes local,vhs and sat tolerable). It is very convenient for me:b

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I have my HDSTB,DVD,Tivo and Vcr are all passing through my Denon 3802 without any loss of video as far as I can tell. And YES I've tried it both ways.

With the use of my Pronto it's easy as hell. Since my TV only had one set of component inputs, the receiver was the natural solution.

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Having installed a number of plasmas, sometimes there is no choice but to use the AV reciever as a video switcher. Fujitsus only have one RGBHV, one S-video, one VGA, and one composite video in. Often times there are more sources than ins. Also a point to consider is snaking two component wires, along with other video wires can be a tough proposition inwall to a front projector. There are many times where we have to use video switching.

Given a choice, I would opt for a receiver that did the switching that did it mechanically, rather than an IC. There is less loss...the few that Gary Merson listed a couple of years ago that had sufficient bandwidth used mechanical switchers, I believe.

5. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

My TV only has one component input so I have to use my h/k AVR520 to switch the signals from my DVD player and Xbox. I had my DVD player connected directly to the TV before I got my receiver and I can't see ANY degradation in PQ.

6. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

I run all vid signals thru my receiver panasonic sa-he200
    I do it for ease of use...my tv has enough inputs for me to run everything straight to it but I see no reason to do so
    I have noticed no signal degradation not even on hi-def so
    why not

7. Matt AFA

Matt AFA Extra

Given a choice, I would always opt for the most direct route possible. If I am doing it merely for ease of use, I do run the risk of degrading the signal. I have seen considerable loss in some high end receivers...just knowing that there is the slightest chance of degradation would be enough impetus for me to go direct.

I went Pronto which really facilitates things so there is no brainwork involved in switching sources on the fly.

8. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    I run everything through my Pioneer 811 and it makes my TV watching life AND my wifes SO much easier. One button Macros help to!

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

My TV's highest input is only SVideo, and I have:

DVD Player
    2 Sat Receivers
    SVHS Vcr
    XBox

So it's almost a requirement to run SVideo through the receiver.

Note that while many receivers work fine for ordinary video, many dont have the bandwidth to properly pass Progressive/HD signals. I would NOT run video for these bandwidth-hungry devices through the receiver unless the receiver is specified "HD Signal Ready".

10. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I run all video directly to the TV; DVD, HD STB and VCR. My receiver only has 27 MHz bandwidth, not enough for HD. Plus my TV has enough inputs. Therefore I take the most direct route. Plus I save money on cables. [​IMG]