Who here owns a bird or birds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jun 20, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I only know that there was a thread on someone buying a new macaw, and a couple I made concerning mine. I figured I'd make one concerning on what people own for birds. You can tell stories about your birds and such here. So what do you own for birds?

I have 7 budgies and one bluefront Amazon. They're some of my best friends. I find birds to be very relaxing and rewarding to own.

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

here's my bird stories:
    they scare the crap out of me!

everyone says that birds have itty bitty brains, then why can they fly and i can't?

anytime im' in a house with a bird they make a b-line for the back of my neck and just land there and flap and scare the crap out of me. it's gotten so bad that i'm afraid of butterfly houses too just because they remind me of birds. and no i am not kidding, flying things scare me!

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I currently have 1 cockatiel that used to belong to someone else but they gave it away. I used to have another cockatiel and 2 lovebirds. It took a long time for this one to get used to me. One day I decided to try to pick him up [​IMG] and he latched onto my finger with his beak. Needless to say, I never tried that again.

4. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

I was one the one who posted about the the Blue and Gold Macaw. We have owned him for a shade over two months now and still have fun. He is quite the friendly creature and has not tried to bite anyone. I still really want a Green Wing or Scarlett macaw as well so next year we might look into it.

Bird are great pets if you spend the time with them. The real plus is unlike cats and dogs (which I love) a Macaw lives for a extremely long time. I have heard anyhwere from 40 years all the way up to 70+

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I took me a year to get my Amazon to get used to me, after him being unmanagable for like 12 years. He would constantly bite me, which felt like it went to the bone, and often drew blood and/or left marks. After a while he realized that biting me was futile and that I wasn't scared of him, so the biting pretty much stopped. After that, I just kept handling him, so he would get used to being handled and get used to me. Now I can do anything with him. He loves it when I bring him into the living room and "wrestle" with him, which is basically him crawling all over me while I lay on the floor. He even gives me kisses.

6. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    The (big guy) CAG is Johnnie and the (little guy) Senegal is Barney.
    I got Barney first, he was still on the last of his hand feedings when I brought him home. As far as he knows, I'm his momma. He's got the most personality-per-gram of any critter I've ever known, full of both charm and attitude. His vocabulary is small but often appropriate ("Good morning!", "Hiya buddy!", "Nite-nite.", et al.) He's not as vocal as he was before Johnnie moved in with us. At age 6, I think he's reaching adulthood, and having some growing pains, but I think he'll be fine.
    Johnnie, age 4, is as complex and intelligent as you'd expect a grey to be. His shyness belies the fact that he is a shameless love sponge. He has quite an extensive vocbulary, but he's less apt to talk to me than just jabber like a little kid when I'm in the next room. Notable quotes: "Heeeeere's Johnnie!", "You talkin' to me?", "Hey ya knucklehead!" and the ever popular answering machine ("Rrrrring...rrrrring...mumblemumblemumblemumble BEEEEP *click*")
    They're both excellent birds, and each loves to lie on his back in my lap while enjoying a good head scratch.
    I feel very fortunate to have them.

7. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

I have one Budgie (Nova). A bit of a biter but we're curing her of that slowly but surley. She'll come out in the palm of my hand and sit on my shoulder nibbeling on my earring/necklace/t-shirt.
    [​IMG]

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I have two cockatiels named Rusty and Popcorn. I got Rusty when I was 10. Fearing that Russ was lonely, my mom stole some money from my room and bought another cockatiel, and we named it Popcorn. A couple years later, Rusty laid two eggs! They never hatched, but it was neat to find out that Rusty is a she. BTW, Popcorn is a meanie....I'll only handle Rusty b/c she is very affectionate.

9. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My budgies' names are Yoda, Snowball, Pearly, Pinky, Jeans, Max, and Watto.

When I was a kid, my mom used to breed cockatiels and sell them. it was fun. I got to keep a couple. One night my cousin stepped on one of them and it died when it got away from me. She then started laughing. I got all pissed and started swearing and yelling at her for laughing and killing it. Becuase I was swearing and yelling, my stepfather grounded me and took my TV, VCR, and music away for a month. That made me even more mad about the whole situation.

My mom also raised an African grey named Max and an umbrella cockatoo named Barney from featherless babies. Max was only attached to her, and Barney loved everyone. Barney was very adept at escaping, even breaking Master locks that required keys. We could never figure out how he did it. Barney was also a loud screamer and huge chewer. Max on the other hand was very quiet, not a chewer, and never tried to escape his cage. Unfortunately they both attacked my sister when she became mobile while learning to walk, and we got rid of them because they really hurt her. We think they were jealous and scared of her.

Sam my Amazon never did any chewing or escaping. He does attack everyone in my family but me. He didn't bother my sister when she was learning to walk either, so we kept him.

You shoulda heard when Sam, Max, Barney, and the cokatiels got going and screamed real loud. It sounded like a murder took place. I miss all those other birds, but at least I still have Sam, which has been in the family 17 years.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have to agree with mark, birds kind of frighten me. Small brain, big strong beak, plus my fingers just CAN'T add up to a good thing. [​IMG]

11. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Four in my household:
    Powder my cockatoo:[​IMG]
    Sydney my grey:[​IMG]
    And Rockbird and Cagney my bluefronts:[​IMG]

12. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

Cockatoo's are fun birds. My g/f wants one but since we have a Blue & Gold we can't as there is some sort of issue with the dander that Cockatoo's give off. Looks like a Greenwing Macaw will be our next purchase later this year.
    Pikko, my macaw, has been great so far. Doesn't scream hardly ever and is quiet throughout the night and very friendly to everyone. He has really bonded with the g/f but likes me quite a bit as well.
    [​IMG]