What's new

Who here is excited about the Blake Edwards news? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I know I am.

Yes, "Victor/Victoria" has been delayed, but that's because Warner is bringing more Edwards titles to coincide with the "V/V" release.

We all know about "The Great Race", but if you like "Skin Deep" and "S.O.B" (major "S.O.B" fan here), they're coming out too.

Way to go, Warner. Just do it in OAR, and we'll be happy.

Sincerely,

John "Once again, singing Polly-Wolly-Doodle all the day" Kilduff

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited, though I would be pissed if this isn't OAR. I'm sure I'm not as excited as Scott Weinberg though :) :) :) (for those of you who didn't catch it in another thread, Scott loves Blake Edwards directing :)).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Skin Deep was awesome! I hope they include some behind the scenes materials.

Remember when Ritter was on the Larry Sanders Show and got into a fistfight with Ebert over "Skin Deep"?

(Yes, I realize it was fiction, it was still funny!)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
calm down lol - all the films are scope!
my peeve is that my favorite BE film (SOB) is getting NO Extras, while Skin Deep gets a commentary and featurette!
I understand V/V getting extras, as it is the "hit" of the bunch, but was SD that big?
I'd be interested to hear JA comment about the scene where she "shows (her) boobies"
;)

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, this is great news. Let's hope Warner releases these films in OAR. Edwards is one of the best examples of a director who uses the entire frame for jokes and gags. Now where is "A Fine Mess" Columbia!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
chill... the press release states that all will be OAR and 16x9 enhanced. wanrer has yet to P&S a 2.35:1 film...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Where're you reading this press release? I dont see it at Digital Bits or DVDFile.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Who's exited? [rant]ME!![/rant]
As soon as I saw the news yesterday morning, I dashed off this note to co-worker/fellow HTFer Randy Duncan:
(...my distant cousin wearing a glow-in-the-dark condom? I think I'll pass! :) )
All widescreen, all with new transfers (TGR remastered from restored elements), all with extras (including a Blake/Julie commentary on V/V!! Unbelievable!), and all of them listing for just $19.98!!!
And from Warner Brothers, of all studios! {thud}
Here's the actual press release (note that some info in the S.O.B. section is wrong; Richard Mulligan's name is substituted by William Holden's): http://www.dvdfile.com/news/web_wire...greatrace.html
Now if I can just get past this thing of buying DVD's for myself on my wife's birthday....
DAVE
I would have posted the news here, but I was short of time and I figured someone would get to it, as indeed happened!
Oh, and yes...that's my wife's birthday. She enjoys V/V, and won't mind adding that to our collection, but she knows that this is a "David" movie (one of my all-time favorites) and there won't be any mistake that this is not a present for her but rather one for me! :D NOW I have to get it past her that I'm buying a 2nd movie, also one of my faves, that happens to include "Mary Poppins' topless scene"! :laugh:
I love her; she's a VERY understanding person!... ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
For the record:
I LOVED S.O.B.! Most likely my favorite Blake Edwards movie ever.
But I'm still not a fan, george! :)

I love Blake Edwards. I really, really love Blake Edwards.

I am almost verrrry happy to hear about this. But...

WHY no extras on S.O.B., which just might be his best film?

Why, for god's sake, Why?????????

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
WHY no extras on S.O.B., which just might be his best film?
Beacuse Warner, of all the major studios, is the most ignorant of their library and what it contains. I'm glad they're releasing titles, but some of the choices they make in what they choose to release leaves me dumbfounded.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Warner, of all the major studios, is the most ignorant of their library
This is rather sad :frowning:. However, how come Blake Edwards didnt push for some extras on SOB? I dont know what he thinks of the film, but I know alot of people consider it his best or one of his betters.
Tis a pity that Professor Fate and the Great Leslie couldnt have gotten together one last time for an interview or commentary, RIP Professor. Robert Preston is also missed.
Speaking of that, WB (or any studio for that matter) needs to start educating themselves about their film libraries and laying down interviews,etc. while the talent are still on the planet. Stop relying on the suits, they dont know a damn thing about movies!! :angry:
It would also appear that WB (maybe even Edwards) didnt want to do commentaries unless a co-star would participate too. Why no Edwards/Andrews commentary on SOB?
Why no box set of all 4 titles? They didnt box the Sinatra titles together either.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
"S.O.B." is easily my favorite Blake Edwards film. It's a shame that some of its biggest stars are no longer with us, but there are still several who are, such as Julie Andrews, Larry Hagman, Loretta Swit, Shelly Winters, Robert Loggia, etc. If the making of this film was even a tenth as fun and wild as the events that take place within it, a commentary or documentary would be highly entertaining and informative.
But even without any extras, it will be worth it just to finally have the misadventures of Felix, Cully, Ben and Dr. Finegarten on DVD, and especially in OAR.
"I remember this scene in The Thing..."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Charlie, it is REALLY cool to know that someone "in the biz" like you are enjoys this film as much as I do! :D

Greg_M

Screenwriter
S.O.B. was originally released through Lorimar,(Warners never made the film) which may explain why there are no extras on the DVD. CBS/FOX released the video at one time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm disappointed that Blake and Julie won't be providing commentary for S.O.B., I'd love to hear their comments on Mrs. Edwards' infamous topless scene.

Nevertheless, I'll probably buy Victor/Victoria, S.O.B, and maybe the Great Race.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks