What's new

Who Here Hates Their Speaker Stands Or Want Nice Ones? (1 Viewer)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Why not make your own? I made a pair for $80 CDN. I used clear pine. Filled the stands with sand so they each weigh over 20 lbs and routered the edges. I made them the perfect fit for my main speakers.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I thought the same as you and started doing more research. I went to the following sites to get some good idea of what's out there. However, I still wasn't able to find anything that gel'd with what I wanted.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy2/robs_stands/page01.htm

http://www.io.com/~patman/stands.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

So, I ended up asking my good buddy Brucer (one of the best woodworkers out there) for some advice. He shared some of his designs with me and provided lots of help to get this beginner going. I came up with all the dimensions myself and locked myself in my garage for a week and did most of the leg work (with the finishing touches done by my mom and a friend of mine):

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Thanks for the nice words, Mike.

Hmm...can you post like a drawing of what you're thinking of? I thought about even suspending speakers via a retractable pole from the ceiling, but that idea got too expensive, one I remember that I needed to fund some kind of motorized mechanism :) Remember that the speaker will try to move, so depending on how long your vines are, you might need like 3 points of attachment?

Maybe you can come up with something cool like one of these track lighting fixtures from Lowes:

http://images.lowes.com/product/7564...d=158&cvt=jpeg

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Wow...I'm not sure how to do something like that. The only thing I can come up with is that the vines will either have to be anchored securely from the ground or via the backwall? That might cost a pretty penny. Have you thought of getting one of those column pedestals at Michaels or one of the hobby stores and see if you can fit iron vines around them? That way you can set the speakers on the column, instead of the vines and don't have to worry about securing them to anything. If you do go that route, be sure to fill the columns with sand or leadshot to reduce vibration.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Nhan_H
Gorgeous speaker stand you made there. What speaker is that on top? Great job, :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Hey I own the same as those "these puppies weigh
in at $500 per pair"

But only paid £150. They weigh a tonne though (well 40kg each to be precise) Don't squash your foot!:eek:

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it’s just me, but if you a mount a 30lb bookshelf onto a speaker bracket and thereafter to the wall, how come no one has come with the idea of a speaker stand that you can mount to the wall?? Confused……probably, I will give you my situation as an example. I have a large obtrusive WAF entertainment center in my living room and minimal space to either side. I could put a set of floorstanders in there but the sub would have to be located at the rear of the room which I don’t like imo. In order for the sub to go in the front, the speakers would have to be wall mounted above it but none of the speaker brackets I have seen will bring the front of the speaker out far enough so the front baffle is flush or a little in front of the furniture.

My gem would be a speaker stand which has a solid square top support for the speaker and a stand which goes down and curves into the wall for mounting. Even if the speaker needed two sets of mounts, as long as I could place the speaker high enough to put a sub underneath it without jeopardizing the sound.

Has anyone ever heard of this?? I may have to build really deep shelves though speaker stands/brackets would be much more appealing. My speakers are Boston Acoustics VR-M60’s so they are rear ported and should be at least six inches from the wall.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Had about a 6' tall shelf unit that was thin(my wife used it to hold books and whatnot, flat black, with four shelves...I cut it in half and it was the perfect height for my Paradigms. Used one of the shelves for the top of the bottom section. Perfect to double as dvd/cd storage.

Nhan_H

Second Unit

Thanks, Lew. Re: the UFW10 party....I'm not sure the neighbors would appreciate all the rumbling :D Maybe we can have a get together when Thearthurclone moves into the DFW area. I'm sure Vetinary and Brucer will be up for that :) Maybe we can even hold it at Vetinary's, since he's got the SVS bad boy B4 at his place. I'll bring the UWF10 over for comparisons (Haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks