What's new

Who hates that Dell guy... (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I like the Dell guy... but apparently the guys at Entertainment Weekly don't. They had a pie-chart of which celebrities that the $49M that Mariah Carey was paid to get out of her contract should have been used on instead. "The Dell guy" was awarded $1M by them to go away. :)
/Mike

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Screen Savers guys, and the TechTV channel...
Who's that woman on the show that does games? The one with dyed-red hair, big eyes, thin, just a little "nerdy" in her manner of speech...
She's the only reason I watch the channel :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Like all successful advertising campaigns, this one went from being very amusing to milked to death--and now it's straying from the original concept (i.e., a neighborhood weisenheimmer helping other brats to sell their parents on Dell). Remember the original "Joe Isusu" campaign from 1986? It went from a funny stand-up actor making outrageous claims for the vehicles ("and it can seat 400 people") to becoming nothing more thant pointless "humor."

Those first ads in this campaign were fun. Now they are boring and a little annoying.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
No, cause Stuart (in my book) will always be Older Pete (from The Adventures of Pete and Pete). His role in the Home Alone movies have nothing on the greatness that was The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Who said anything about his greatness in Home Alone ? AFAIC, there is nothing great about him or his roles.
I just can't believe its him.
:confused:

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I dont mind the Dell dude too much, but Carrot Top sucks big time. I want to rake out my eyes and ears when he comes on tv. I cant reach the remote fast enough. Carrot Top is coming to our college to do some standup in a couple weeks, and I dont know anybody thats actually going. I may camp out in the parking lot just to see what kind of people actually go to see this POS comedian.

Later,

Marshall

Chuck Parker

Agent
On Steve, the Dell guy - I'm kind of indifferent to him. I bought a Dell about three weeks before he arrived on the scene.

The Martin/Patrick Screen Savers parody was classic, though.

And while we're on the subject, where's the love for Megan? She's the real reason to watch the show, after all....

-chuck

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I may need to point out to the younger people out there that this is just yet another incarnation of Sean Penn's "Spicoli" character from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"...Keaneau Reeves already stole Penn's character in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" and it wasn't funny then, either.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Dude, you're getting a Dell!!!

Hey, I think that guy is somewhat funny. I mean, he's probably not the best guy in the world for an advertising scheme. However, he get's the job done and I'm glad Dell is advertising more than Gateway.

Anyways, I also think Carrot Top is funny. I like the whole prop idea in comedy. Galagher is a lot more funny, but Carrot Top still does a good job. Well, minus the movie he did!

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
OK! Who here would not take his place in a flash? Gotta love America...It's Always the simple complex idea's that make a fortune.

E

Eric Kahn

I thought we all got home theator systems so we did not have to watch commercial tv and be annoyed be people like him:D

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I am also really sick of that fireman subway cammercial. Just say that people loose weight with subway with out doing a really bad song

Please tell me that somebody agrees.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I HATE the "Dell Guy!"

We are becoming a nation of cretins, slack-jawed morons who want to see other slack-jawed morons on TV and in our movies...When I first saw those commercials I thought they had to have been aimed at 16-year-old boys with low IQ's--which seemed like a strange target audience for Dell, but hey, it's their money--then I saw that story on television about the "Dell Guy phenomenon" and I thought, wait a minute, it can't be the SAME guy, can it?!?! And then his stupid grinning face came on and I went NOOOOOOOOOO! I just couldn't believe it: Everybody LOVES this guy? This IDIOT with a fake California accent so bad my three-year-old cousin from Boston could do a better job? I told my girlfriend this and she just stared at me in horror. She couldn't believe it either.

It's just sad, it really is. America--a nation of idiots.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Whoah James, why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?
I don't fancy myself to be an idiot, but let me ask how you would market Dell differently? In my opinion, Dell understands this whole thing is a farce and they are just taking advantage of a modern American stereotype.
Bear in mind that these commercials are targeting teenagers who will then go to their parents and ask for a computer. If you have ever watched Saturday morning cartoons, those commercials can be pretty stupid...to an adult. But the kids eat it up. When I was a kid, I thought those G.I. Joe action figure commercials were the bomb. I wish I had the fancy terrain model with rivers and mountains to play with my guys. I'm sure that my parents thought it was pretty dumb.
I have to admit I prefer the Gateway commercials over Dell, because the whole cow shtick is pretty amusing to me. But I have a lot of respect for Dell being bold enough to come out with this guy - it could have really backfired, but they were smart enough to know their audience.
Jason
P.S. Please don't call this guy an idiot, he's just an actor. I suppose Sean Penn would really be pissed if you called him a retard (re: his role in I am Sam). From what I read about him, he is an acting student and hopes to produce independent films. Not so bad, huh?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Jason,

What do you mean, "how would I market Dell differently?"

In order for me to despise their commercials, I have to come up with a more effective marketing strategy?

You point out that the commercials are targeted at teenagers. I know the commercials are supposed to be targeting teenagers--but so what? Just because you are a teenager, you are supposed to be an idiot? I couldn't stand stupid commercials, even when I WAS a teenager.

A common strategy advertising companies use is to DELIBERATELY make a commercial annoying just so you will remember it. The theory is that even if you didn't LIKE the commercial, the brand name will stick with you and you'll end up buying it anyway because it is the one you remember. That is how stupid advertising agencies think people are.

Unfortunately, they're often right.

But for the general public to then make a celebrity out of a character designed to insult their intelligence ("Hey, let's buy a Dell computer, because that annoying guy with the fake California accent said we should!") tests my tolerance for stupid people....

Jason, you also wrote:

"Please don't call this guy an idiot, he's just an actor. I suppose Sean Penn would really be pissed if you called him a retard (re: his role in I am Sam)."

When did I call the actor (whoever he is) an idiot? I was talking about the CHARACHTER he plays in the commercial. I am able to tell the difference between the two. The actor isn't an idiot, per say, but that doesn't mean I have to LIKE him. He's getting paid a lot of money to be very annoying. Sure, maybe he'll go on to produce "independent films" as you say, but so what? I don't care if he is taking care of starving children in Africa--his performance in the Dell commercials will STILL BE VERY ANNOYING.

You seem like a decent enough bloke, Jason. So don't feel my arguments are personally directed at you. (Unless, of course, you actually like "The Dell Guy," in which case you can probably guess my opinion.)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Todd.
Yep. Kate Botello is HOT! :b
[Edit: I am watching her right now on TechTV as I type this...haven't seen her for quite a few months, and it appears she's gained a *small* bit of weight. Not in ANY way that it detracts from her, but it's something I noticed. She's still fine to me :)]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks