What's new

Who hates shaving? (1 Viewer)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I also hate shaving. I have to shave every 2 days because my beard & mustache grows back that fast. I also hate shaving because I have sensitive skin (after shaving, my neck is all irritated)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
When I was younger (say around 14) I couldn't wait until I was old enough to shave. Man, I thought it would be so cool.

Oh god how I was wrong. I'm now 21, started having to shave on a daily basis I think when I was around 18, and I HATE IT!! Shave in the morning before work, but by around 8pm there's been enough growth that I could shave again!

Quite a few of my friends only need to shave around once a week. They don't know how lucky they are.

Ralph Robinson

Auditioning
What a great thread!

Can't stand shaving myself. Luckily I only have to shave every other day. And I don't shave on the weekends unless I am going somewhere and need to look nice.

I always remember a line from Barney Miller when they were having a discussion on shaving.

The great Jack Soo, "I shaved once, I didn't like it!"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can't stand using razors (I'm also too lazy), so I use the electric. In the summertime my neck gets SO itchy, irritated and red when I sweat! It's SO annyoing!

I once tried a method of putting baby powder on my face before using the electric shaver, it seemed to glide better and be less irritating.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I used to hate it more when I shaved with a razor; hated it less when I switched to electric. A friend encouraged me to grow a goatee and now I don't mind shaving because now the sensitive areas on my chin are covered.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I heard a news report that Gillette is planning to introduce a laser shaving system. :eek:

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I hate shaving. I loved it when I was 14-15 and I only had to shave every week or so, but now it's just a drag.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I started wearing an almost full beard about 8 years ago, partly because I hated shaving and partly because of a woman. The woman has (mercifully) moved on and I was ready for a change last fall. I shaved it all except the moustache (which started with a previous woman) I can't say that I like shaving by any means. I usually let it go a day or so too long (especially on weekends) but I sure love how clean my face feels after a blade shave.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I missed the first running of this thread so here I go.

Im probably in the middle of the pack here. I not overly sensitive and my hair grows rather quickly. I got tired of the yank/pull and cut eclectic razors and decided to switch to a standard. I use a Mach 3 (not the turbo) Neutrogenia non foaming shave cream. I get best results right out of the shower. I wash my face with a Neutrogenia Daily Face Scrub for Men first. This helps get all the dead skin off your face and smooth it out a bit. I usually shave daily, only with the grain. If I have a date twice a day and against the grain. One peculiar thing though, if I skip one day and shave I get irrated, so If I mis one day I have to wait at least another for it to grow out more. I can get about five uses out of a Mach 3.

Interesting side note. Don't shave off your chest hair unless you want to keep it that way. I did once and the inebriated request of a one night stand. It was the most itchy and iterating thing while it was growing back. I really didt feel like adding shaving my chest to my daily routine.

UPDATE: I switched to Neutrogena Shave Gel, it seems to soak in better and still lubricates by the end of the shave. I also switched to the Nivea for Men face scrub, its a little more abrasive than the Nivea so if you have really sensitive skin you may want something else.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Better late than never I suppose. :)

Count me as one of those that hates shaving. My biggest problem is my skin is so sensitive, especially on my neckline. So what I do is shave (with an electric) the night before. That way the irritation has usually subsided by the time morning rolls around. I also grew a Van Dyke and sideburns so I would have less area to shave. I then use a Norelco beard and mustache trimmer to keep the length reasonable. Still, I usually go at least 2 days between shavings because of the irritation.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I hate, hate, HATE shaving. If I do it every day, I still get a five o'clock shadow, so I don't see the benefit in it. If I wait a few days, the stubble gets so thick and coarse that I go through a full blade in one sitting, and nick myself all to hell.

I've been seriously considering laser hair removal, as soon as I can afford it. I know I'll take quite a ribbing from my friends, but f--- them, y'know? I know my face looks just ridiculous with facial hair (read all about it in the goatee thread :D), so I'm not a candidate to ever want to have a moustache or a beard. I won't regret getting rid of the hair for good.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I just trim my beard most of the time because shaving is a trial, but the system I developed seems to work pretty well for me.

1) If hair is beard-length, cut it down with beard trimmer

2) Use that thing on the back of the electric shaver, whatever it is. I don't know. It cuts the hair down to a reasonable length after the trimmer.

3) Use the regular part of electric shaver.

4) If extra smoothness desired, use mach 3

The mach 3 only works on my face when the hair is incredibly short, like almost unnoticable, because my facial hair is incredibly thick (but fortunately, soft) just like the rest of my hair.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't like the Mach, but it seems the Sensor cartridges don't last as many shaves as they used to. My conspiracy theory is they cheaped up the Sensor blades so that people will switch to the Mach.

Anybody else notice they don't last as long?

JayV

Supporting Actor
[In 1974] The Wilkinson blade was good for 40 shaves, compared with 7-10 for Gillette, Schick, and Personna ... Consumers' Research, incidentally, claimed the average throwaway razor was good for 10 shaves in a 1978 report, but for only 4 shaves in 1981--a discrepancy it let pass without comment. Gillette and Schick refuse to disclose how many shaves you're supposed to get, saying the matter is too "subjective."
More in this old article on the Straight Dope.

-j

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Given I do have to shave, there are two ways to tackle this problem:

If shaving by hand: get a good-quality razor, use warm to hot water to soften up your face and use a good shaving gel instead of shaving cream. If I have the time to hand shave, I use a Gillette Atra pivoting head razor with Edge shaving gel; I find this combination works superbly because the pivoting head follows the contour of my face and shaving gels allow for vastly smoother shaves than shaving creams.

If shaving by electric razor: it really depends on how your facial hair grows. Straight vibrating head shavers work best if you shave at least once a day, and rotary-head shavers work best if your facial hair doesn't grow out straight. I have a Norelco 200 SC dual rotary head shaver and it works great after you apply Williams Lectric-Shave lotion on your face and let it sit for about 25 seconds before shaving. :)

Mind you, since every face is unique in terms of skin quality and facial hair quality, your mileage may vary. ;)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I hate shaving as well. I have very thick hair and very sensitive skin. What I do is shave in the shower with the grain with a Mach 3. Then I use my Braun Syncro electric as touch up afterwards. It seems to work pretty well, my face doesn't burn afterwards.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
There's alternative to shaving if you've got the balls to try it. Waxing!! It'll hurt like a mother f*cker but you won't have to worry about it again for 3-4 weeks.

Jeff

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I can't possibly imagine waxing my face.

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

George W

Stunt Coordinator
I too hate shaving. I'm curious if any of you ever "double shave." I do a deal where I shave normally with a mach3 turbo and Edge gel, going with the grain. Then, without rinsing, I apply another dose of the gel to my neck and lower face, and again shave with the grain. This second time through something happens with the gel that makes it an incredibly smooth process, and gives me a nice close shave. If required I will then shave against the grain just a bit. My only problem with shaving is that many times I get acne on my neck, and almost always shaving over it leaves lasting redness that looks very unsightly. Interestingly, I find that if I go without shaving for four days or so, the acne completely goes away, and then I can get an awesome redness free shave. If I ever have some big date or something coming up I try to time it so I can grow it out for most of the week and then shave that night. Kind of a hassle but works in the end I guess. I've considered going back on medication for the acne as it helped me greatly with the rest of my face, but I keep hoping it will go away on its own. cool thread. For the record, I've also found that a turbo blade gives me a much closer shave than a regular mach 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks