What's new

Who has worked at a ski resort for a winter? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering working at a ski resort for the winter and am looking to hear what your experience was like. But first, the reason why I am considering this.

I've been unemployed for six months now and it doesn't look like anything will be coming up in the near future. I work (worked) in the telecommunications field and have for 12 years. About 10 years ago I thought about taking a winter off and working at a ski resort, but decided it would not be a good idea since my "career" was going well. Now that telecom is in such bad shape, I find it the perfect time to go up.

I'm sure there are plenty of you who worked at a ski resort after high school or college and I would like to hear what the experience was like. Was it a ton of fun? Was the work enjoyable? What job did you have? What job would you consider the best? The worst? How were the employers, the people you worked for? Relaxed or very demanding? Did you live in employee provided housing and how was that? Would it be better to live in town? Pretty much anything related to the experience, I would like to hear about.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies.

Jerry

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
I myself haven't worked at a ski resort or anything, but I have friends that have. If you've ever seen "Out Cold" - they've told me that it's pretty much like that. You get paid to ski all day long, then party all night. Sounds like a blast to me. The problem is that, usually, your first year or so of teaching, you end up having to teach kids, which means that you're gonna be hauling kids up the bunny slope...

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Jerry,

I worked for a ski resort for one winter season years ago.
Although my experience was far from any Warren Miller movie or "Out Cold".
I worked in the rent/tech shop handing out boots most of the day and occasionally did some tune-ups.
Later in the afternoon/evening hours if it wasn't too busy the boss would let some of us out for a few runs. I got lift tickets free when I wasn't working but you have to understand Ski Roundtop is a popular place in the East to ski but also a very small mountain compared to almost any resort out West. It's got to be a totally different experience skiing out West than it is here in the East. Ski Roundtop has a total of 16 trails mostly consisting of greens and blue trails, only 2 black diamonds and they were short steep mogul fields that lasted only seconds.

If ya want to stay on the slopes all day long either become a ski instructor or join the resort's ski patrol. I tried being an instructor for awhile but my first assignment was teaching the "little penguins" which ended up really being a baby sitting job more than teaching young kids how to ski.
I gave that up and went to the tech shop.

It was an interesting winter as I met some cool and some not-so-cool people while working there but it was free skiing and that was the real reason I wanted to work there in the first place.

Good luck and it's always good to hear from another skier.

Brian

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Spent a season as a lift operator at Snow Summit in Utah. Try to secure a position at the top shack of a lift making sure everyone gets off the chairs in time. You will spend most of your day inside, being visited by Ski Patrol and other operators. Plus, you'll witness some exploding skier events so funny you will be gasping for breath. Lots of partying after work, and access to a typically enjoyable babe pool. 4 am avalanche control mornings suck, and loading chairs on a lift is boring and frustrating. The pay is poverty level, prima donna's abound, and square headed nimrod's who think God made them to grace the mountain and for you to awe and admire are plentiful and pitiful. Get in with the mountian manager 1st day, go introduce yourself to the leading female ski patrol member. Ask for help learning the hill from her, and if she'd invite you a patrol party. Woo-hoo! Be aware though, it's not a career, the good gigs at resort are taken (forever). Enjoy!

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian and Mark. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Mark, I like your idea of getting to know the leading female ski patrol member. I'll remember that. Part of the "benefits" I'm looking forward to is the "enjoyable babe pool". A nice perk I'm sure. ;)
Jerry

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey, for more on the glamorous life of a ski resort employee, go out and rent Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks