What's new

Who has the tallest sonosub? Poll (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Are any of you using the full 12' height of tube? I know I have nowhere near the tallest sub. My miniscule sonosub is 42" tall.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm up there with my skinny 18" tube. But even at 5'11" I'm sure I'm far from the tallest.

Martice

Screenwriter
It may not be the tallest but It's not the shortest at 5'7". Damn Dustin, 5'11"? That's a tall one. Mine is 21" across though so I guess it kind of equals out eh?
Link Removed

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
My newest sono stands at a dead 70" with both end caps in place. I'm working on posting some pictures soon if I can find one of my friends with a camera. Its a real beast:D

Thanks for the nomination Dustin!!!!
If you guys want exact numbers, my "Twins" stand at 70.5", with both of them being 24" wide. Length and width baby!!!!!;)

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you tall sonotube guys have already taken this into account, but I'll remind those who might be tempted to follow in your tracks that stray resonance will rear its ugly head as you go taller. Physics says that a 70"-tall sonotube will have a 1/4-wave resonance peak at just under 50 Hz--smackdab in the middle of the average passband.
Can I poop on a party or what? :frowning:
But I don't want to end on a sour note, so I'll also mention that there is a way to use long sonotube for good and not evil: Transmission lines. If you've got a 12' length of sonotube and want a bit of a challenge, look into transmission line theory. It's some of the best bass known to mortal man.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well I didn't take 1/4 wave into account, but I did take 1/2 wave into account at the guidance of Dr.Hyre (was around 100hz, little too close to the crossover). I have a little over a foot of insulation stuffed around the port making my actual resonance able tube length less than 4 feet.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My sub is only 47" high and it's not a sonosub but it could very easily win as the most stable sub of them all because of it's pyramid shape and 2 foot wide foot print.
hehe, I think i've mentioned my sub about 50 times about now, but you never know if someone new will be inspired. :)
The highest box sub I could make is 10 feet high cause that's how big he can get sheets of MDF. However my room is only 8' high so that could pose a problem.

Robert Payne

Auditioning
18" dia x 85" tube + 5" base comes in at 7-1/2'.

Just finished my EBS Tempest yesterday. Don't know anything about that 1/4 wavelength stuff posted above. But I do know that this behemoth is deep and loud.

-robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks