What's new

Who has the RP82 or what's a good replacement? (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Hi all. Sorry if this is redundant, but here's my story.

I finished building my bedroom HT about a half year ago. I purchased a PS2, but did build my shelf with a thin slot for the RP82. I had my ps2 at the time for a DVD player, so procrastination got the best of me and I didn't bother getting the 82. I figured I'd let it drop in price.

HOWEVER, I came back to this particular forum after a few months without HT research and found that the RP82 is discontinued. Jigga whaaa??!!

I see they're getting hard to find. Even Ebay is now expensive.

What I like about the RP82 is the slim design, many playback formats and I read that the chip inside is good. .. not to mention that the price is [was] right, too.

Can anyone give me a hand? Where can I purchase this OR does Panny have a good replacement with a similar chip? After not doing much research for a couple months, I was confused by a particular model# in Best Buy. I did not recognize it.

Any help is appreciated.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I cannot even find it at pricegrabber.com

However, the xp30 looks similar and is $199 at pricegrabber. Any insight as to how is compares? Does it have the same chip as the 82?

The xp30 is very similar, although it doesn't have DVD-A. Finding a rp82 is like finding a needle in a haystack now, unless you want to pay mucho $$$. The xp30 got high marks on the DVD Shootout. Do a Froogle search, you should be able to find it for less than $199.

Jason Pugh

Agent
I was faced with this EXACT delima and went with the Denon 1600. It is basically the same player as the RP82 and I got it for under $400 online. Maybe someone knows a good place to get it cheaper but at most stores it is $499 PLUS Tax. So far I love the player. I'm impressed with the PQ to say the least.

Aristides

Agent
Check out the Panny XP-30 which as someone stated is about the same as the RP82 however without DVD-A capabilities.

If DVD-A is important to you, check out the step up from Panny (XP-50) although this player is getting tough to find as well.

For me it was between those two players and the Denon 1600. In the end cost was a big part of my decision, so I ended up getting the XP-30.

As someone said earlier, check out the DVD shootout
HERE

Peace,
Aristides

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks