Who has the Refurbed Pioneer 709S?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Clarke, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I know someone on here had a thread going before the crash. He got it from Refurb Depot. I'd like to hear how it worked out and if he's happy with it or from anyone else that has it. That is a killer deal.

Thanks.

2. Kevin Mical

Kevin Mical Extra

I have one still sitting unopened in a box in the guest bedroom of my house. The wife was not too happy that I ordered another receiver, and has asked me to send it back.
    I'm going with Gandhi's "passive resistance" tactics ... agree to send it back, but never quite find the time to take it to UPS. Three more days until the return period expires ... then it's mine! [​IMG]
    So - in four days I'll be able to post a review [​IMG]

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

"Oh the tangled web we weave...."
    Sly Devil[​IMG] Thanks...I'll be reading you.

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Keep me posted too. That rcvr has some interesting features.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I bought one of these last month. I got it last Friday after UPS misplaced it. I got it hooked up on Friday night, but was too tired to listen to it. Saturday we had a nasty wind storm that knocked out my power until Monday PM. So I have not really had time to mess with it. I read about it on AVS. Someone also brought it up here. I don not usually keep track of who posts things, so for all I know, it sould have been the same guy on both boards.

Since this is my first surround sound receiver, I have nothing to compare it to as far as sound or functionality is onceerned. I noticed that one of the "B" speaker terminals appears to be damaged. Since I so not intend to use more than one pair of main speakers, I con't care.

This receiver does not have Dolby Pro Logic II. However, since I had DPL nuthin' before this, I did not think it was too big a deal. It also does not have six channel sound. However, the 5.1 beats stereo. Therefore, I figured that for $200 (plus $20 for shipping) I could not go too far wrong. All of the speaker terminals will accept banana plugs, if that is important to you. It also has pre-outs if you want to use seperate amps. It has no turntable input. I have a turntable, but it will be going into another room eventually, so I did not care about that. The plan is to transfer my records to cd-rs that I can play on the DVD player.

For the money, I can't see how one can beat this receiver.

6. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

And another thing, I found the people at Refurb Depot very helpful when I did not get my receiver on time.

7. Kevin Mical

Kevin Mical Extra

I had a little more difficulty getting my unit from RefurbDepot.com. I placed my order on February 12th, and received an order confirmation number. On February 20th, I called to check the status (since it hadn't arrived). They confirmed that it had shipped out ... on February 19th. I called back the next day and received a tracking number. Went online with UPS, where the tracking number indicated that the billing/pickup information had been received -- and the estimated delivery date was February 15th!
    I called RefurbDepot back on Monday the 25th to see what had happened to my package. The person gave me the same tracking number. I replied that, according to UPS, the package had never left their warehouse. They said they would have UPS trace the package, and call me back in 2-3 days.
    I called RefurbDepot again on Monday, March 4th. I was given the same tracking number (I had it memorized by then!), then was passed on to a supervisor. The supervisor said they had not had anything like that happen before - and would investigate further.
    Finally, on March 7th, I received a call from a friendly rep at Refurbdepot -- indicating that my order should be arriving shortly. I checked online with UPS ... and much to my surprise, the package was picked up from Refurbdepot on March 6th, and was scheduled for delivery on March 8th.
    It did arrive that Friday. My card had been charged on February 13th, so my "15-day return period from the time of my order" had expired before the order even arrived! To their credit, when I called about that, the RefurbDepot rep said that I still had 15 days from its arrival.
    So - it did (finally) show up at my house, but I had some difficulty getting a straight answer on its status before then. Order at your own risk [​IMG]