Who has the Movie Night DVD from CinemaWise?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

I thought I take a look at it. It seem pretty interesting. I'm thinking of taking the plunge on this. It's funny I use to wonder if something like this ever exist. It's exactly does what it supposed to...entertained until the movie starts. The twist is, before a DVD. What would be nice is if the DVD player you own had a screen saver while exchanging disc. That way while you are in fact switching to a movie and the screen saver had galleries, the long pause wouldn't be as noticeable. I thought about getting a custom disc to add some excitement to my home theater. The custom disc is $50 or you can get the basic is $25. Check it out if you haven't. www.cinemawise.com It's the link on the main page. If anyone has this disc, please let me know how you like it before I make my purchase.
    Charles

2. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Charles, I've been thinking about getting a customized DVD but the price seems a little steep. I mean, spending ANOTHER $50 to "impress your friends". Considering all the money I've already sunk into my HT, I'd rather spend the $50 on movies.
    (My selection of alcohol impresses my friends!) [​IMG]
    If anyone is looking for "pre-movie entertainment", why not just purchase a copy of "The Ultimate DTS Widescreen DVD Movie Guide" DVD from Widescreen Review for $5.95? It has 18 excellent DTS trailers to entertain your guests till everyone is seated, drinks are served, and popcorn is popped.
    I keep my copy in a Sony ProgScan 5-disc changer (which allows me enough room for all those new 2-disc releases).
    When enough members review the "CinemaWise MovieNight DVD", I may reconsider it.

3. Michael Maston

Michael Maston Auditioning

I think Jenna is comparing apples to oranges here. I have the MN DVD (the custom one) and it is sweet. It really brings that "at the movies" feeling to my home theater. It isn't just a bunch of random trailers but a set of videos (and bonus trivia questions) designed to give you that pre-movie experience and you can personalize the lead-in video for your theater. Video and audio quality are top notch and so is their service. You should check out the thread at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=cinemawise for others that have already bought the disc. They also talk about some of the similar (and much more expensive and inferior, IMHO) products like this but so far it looks like the MN discs are the ones to have. Also, Ron Epstein reviewed their disc (that's why I got mine) and gave it high marks.
    Recommended!
    PS: And no, I don't work for CinemaWise. I'm just a satisfied customer! [​IMG]

4. Jim-G

Jim-G Auditioning

I too am quite pleased with this product.
    We were actually discussing this in Ron's review for this product last month.
    changing the disks really isn't an issue if you only have one DVD player, because there is over ten minutes of some kick-butt triva so it not like you are changing disks every minute.
    also.. the price isn't bad considering each disk has to be produced seperatly.. ie no mass production and their competition charges like $200 buck for the same thing, only not as good.
    Ron's review is here somewhere.. do a search for it.[​IMG]

5. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jenna, Michael, and Jim for your comments. The price does seem pretty steep for a DVD, but it has a lot of features. I haven't checked out the DVD from widescreenreview, and it only $5.95. Maybe I'll get both.

I'm going to check out the link from avsforum.

6. Michael Maston

Michael Maston Auditioning

Only steep if you are comparing to something that can be mass-produced as a generic disc with trailers (or a Hollywood movie DVD). The moment it gets customized with your name, etc., there's no way it could be produced at the cost of the mass-produced discs.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Getting both is always a way to not have to choose. ;-)

Good luck!

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Just was notified I wonone tonight I'll give my opinion as soon as I receive it.

8. Eric Norman

Eric Norman Auditioning

This thread looks like it died out but I thought I would mention The Digital Bits just put up a pretty informative article about cinemawise's products at:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ghtcustom.html
    Might help decide which way to go...it's sure got me thinking about getting one!