What's new

Who has the most HD channels (1 Viewer)

bigtalker

Grip
Real Name
Dan Cooke
What provider in Michigan has the most HD channels, including premium????

Anybody?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
At the time Directv carries the most by a substantial margin (70 or so). I heard at CES that Comcast plans on upgrading to 1000 HD channels this year.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Those of course are including 'On Demand' services as channels. Comcast doesn't have 1000 new networks waiting in the wings with original programming.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The whole issue of the number of HD channels available has become a real joke in my opinion. Satellite services (Dish and DirecTV) have more HD channels available than any cable service because of bandwidth issues so cable companies have come up with a very "creative" way of increasing their channel count. They are now counting each "on-demand" offering as a separate HD channel which is a little ridiculous.

In my opinion if you are able to get a satellite signal (assuming your dish can see the satellites, etc.) the Dish and DirecTV services offer the most "real" HD choices. I've been using The Dish Network for years (also had DirecTV and dropped it recently once FIOS became available for the YES network) and I'm continually impressed by the number and the quality of the Dish network HD offerings (including all the VOOM HD channels). And the functionality of the Dish HD DVRS (722 and 622) blows away the DVRs offered by others. I also have a FIOS HD DVR (similar to one used by some cable companies - a Motorola) and the Dish 722 smokes it in capacity, performance and features.

My 2 cents.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here is a good article about HD channels with DirecTV, Dish, Verizon Fios and some other outfits. As someone that has been with DirecTV for over 14 years, I'm a happy camper as far as HD programming. I rarely have to watch SD programming now compared to what was offered last year at this time. When ESPNews is converted over then the only channel of significance that I'll continue to watch in SD is TCM and hopefully, one day they too will become a HD channel. As a movie buff that lives in Michigan and is a big sports fan with the teams I root for on the east and west coast, DirecTV offers me the best of both worlds that Dish couldn't due to no NFL and maybe even baseball this year.

Ask Engadget HD: Does cable, satellite, or fiber provide more HD? - Engadget HD

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The new Consumer Reports had an interesting artical this month about HD. They say DirecTV has the most HD, right now.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
You know, I really don't care who has the most HD channels. I just want decent HD channels.

I'm on Cox cable here. Yeah, we got the basic network channels in HD (although the local CW quit actually showing programming in HD when they switched from WB for some reason - but they still occupy an HD channel spot) and a few of the cable channels in HD such as the ESPNs, TNT-HD (with 70% stretched-out non-HD material), Discovery-HD, Universal-HD and even TBS-HD (with absolutely no HD programming - everything is stretch city - after the Pro Baseball post-season ended last year).

While they added several more like HGTV-HD (big whoop) and CNN-HD (well, okay) a few months back, I'm waiting on the last remaining real HD cable channels to come to Cox, such as FX, USA and Sci-Fi. If those last three get picked up then that's all need to be happy. You can keep all the HBO, Cinemax and Showtime channels (which we could get in HD, but only if we bumped up to that package to get the SD service).

But we'll probably just get another lame add such as the Golf channel in HD before that happens.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

Hey Golf channelHD would be sweet. There are a lot of beautiful course out there. Golf in HD>golf SD IMO

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Well, guess what?

Just today it was announced locally that Cox is adding more HD channels.

And you know what - the Golf Channel is one of them. :angry:

Here are the additions... NFL Network, Versus/Golf, The Learning Channel, The Travel Channel, The History Channel, Animal Planet, The Weather Channel, Cox Sports Television and the Science Channel. They also are adding a few more HD On Demand offerings too.

While I bare no ill will against these channels and do watch a few of these myself, once again Cox weenies out on us. Why!

On the plus side, they are running out of third tier channels to move to HD. They say more are coming throughout the year - maybe by the time Battlestar Galactica starts back up, Cox will actually have SciFi-HD running.

Another local cable company - Eatel - in the next parish to our southeast already added USA-HD and SciFi-HD last year. That's why I can't believe that big 'ol national Cox can't get what a locally run rural company can get.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Our local provider was recently switched from Insight to Comcast. I am waiting to see if Comcast is going to add any channels now that the switch-over has been completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks