Who has the cheapest silver rca interconnects?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Carswell, May 6, 2002.

1. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

I am looking to get some new interconnect cables. I have tried out some shop demo sets and it seems that silver is the way to go. There were some great copper sets and silver plated copper sets but every silver pair I tried sounded better. Only one problem, $$$, lots and lots. So, my question to you all is who has got silver rca's cheap and what do you recommend?

2. Eric S

Eric S Agent

Chris,
    Check out Chris VenHaus' at diy silver interconnects. In my system (Marantz av600 & ma500s with Atlantic Technology speakers) they are a vast improvement over Monster 550i interconnects. Mine cost me about $18 per pair to make - the most expensive part is the RCA connector. It took me about 45 minutes to make each pair.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

try www.catcables.com I agree the silver interconnects are the way to go. I've got catcables silvercats on all my audio runs and IMO it offers higher resolution of detail over the copper cables I was using previously (IXOS brand)

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Chris,

Also keep your eyes open on Audiogon. I've picked up some good deals on (all silver) cables from here, assuming you have an idea about what you want.

5. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

6. Chris Carswell

Eric,
    My fellow Numismatic, I think if I don't find anything soon I will make my own. Did you buy all the stuff from the same place? Any tips? Got any left overs and want to make me some, I'll trade you my 55 double die [​IMG] .
    Andrew,
    Thanks for the link. They look real good but at $100 for a 1m pair x the 5 pairs I need is going to be out of my range. Have you had any oxidation problems with them?
    Mike,
    I've been looking at audiogon but no luck. I also want to get all the same cables and that's hard to do for used stuff.
    Danny,
    Those are copper wires plated with silver, not solid silver wires. Did you buy some? How do they sound?
    Thanks for the info guys!!!!

7. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Home Grown Audio has some good prices on some nice stuff. You can either buy them assembled, or buy them as a kit (and save $30-50).
    Andrew

8. Chris Carswell

Those do look good but a little pricey compared to the CAT Cables. I'll keep looking.

9. Chris Carswell

What about car audio stuff??? Their stuff has to be insulated just as good if not better than home audio. The reason I ask is b/c there is a car audio shop going out of biz and they are having a sale. Most stuff 25%-50% off. There are some nice looking 1m solid silver wire RCA interconnects that are $90 on sale for $45. He's got 6 pairs left. What do ya think?
    Also, has anyone heard of this one:
    http://marc.stager.com/silver/

10. Eric S

Eric S Agent

Chris,
    I purchased my teflon tubing from McMaster-Carr ($6 per 100ft of 28 gauge tube), the teflon insulated RCA's were from Home Grown Audio and ~220 ft of 30 gauge .9999 fine silver from MYRON TOBACK INC, 25 West 47th St., NYC 190036 (212 398-8300). You want solid fine silver (not sterling, not stranded) which cost me about $25 for ~220 feet. I do have some left over silver but not any RCAs. I plan on making more interconnects for myself in the distant future for some Class A amps that I am building (too many other projects right now).
    A 1955 double die, huh?

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

12. Chris Carswell

I have a friend who can get me the AR Master Series RCA's super cheap, ~ 50% off or about $30-$35 for a 3' pair.....

They are "silver-coated very fine multi-stranded >99.99% pure oxygen-free copper with Teflon® insulation, twisted pair balanced and directional noise drain construction, locking 24k gold-plated precision-machined RCA connectors with split center pins, two layers of shielding: one 100% overlapped Mylar® foil for RFI isolation, and one 95%+ copper braid for EMI isolation". That was from their web site.

My question is has anyone tried them? What about the whole silver plated on copper thing. I tried one pair that really weren't that bad at all of silver plated copper RCA's but not these AR Master Series. I know from what I've heard and tried 1st hand solid silver will sound better but worth 2x or 3x the price better??? Still expensive. I'm hoping I can get away with these AR Master Series.

Also, what about the car audio stuff I mentioned earlier?

Found some solid silver wires with Teflon cover, a foil cover over that and an outer jacket made of clear PVC. RCA Plugs are T6 aluminum with 24K gold plated and use a split center pin. I can get those for ~ $50 a pair.

My gear is Pioneer Elite VSX-35tx receiver, Elite PD-F109 CD, Adcom GFA-555 and GFA-6000 amps. Tara Labs Prism Biwires feed my Kappa's.

Thanks

13. Mike Aston

Mike Aston Auditioning

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That would appear to be a good price Chris, but from reading your posts you seem to be all over the place and to my mind, I think you need to work on examining your listening protocols and just how it is that you come to your conclusions. Settle down with some friends at home and conduct some unsighted evaluations of the interconnects over some pizza and good conversation. Since your goals are laudable ones i.e. the search for the best, you'll find the time you spent evaluating probably far less than running around posting, web browsing, going to stores, asking for opinions, etc. The keys, you'll find, are level matched, unsighted evaluations, that is unless there are other factors important to you.