What's new

Who has the best sounding center channel....? (1 Viewer)

granite_g

Agent
I wanted to get different opinoions on center channel speakers. I currently own the monitor audio 10i and feel that at times it can sound boxy or hollow. I looking to upgrade but have not found my good reviews, just luke warm.
Any opinoions would be greatly apperciated..;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am not familiar with this center, is it an MTM design? I find that many center channels have a "boxy", almost hollow sound to them, some more than others.

What are your mains? I feel timbre matching is #1 for the front stage, and unless you plan to get matching mains, it doesn't really matter what the best MTM center is. Many say that MTM style centers are inherently flawed design wise. This may be the case, but I don't do most of my listening with the center, so I don't mind.

An alternative is always to go with a single, identical speaker as your mains, but this can pose placement issues depending on what you are using for mains. There is also the possibility of a single bookshelf from the same family/line of speakers as the mains.

granite_g

Agent
John,
Thanks for responding. I am using the monitor audio silver series 8i for front along with the silver 10i which is the match for this series. Don't get me wrong they don't sound bad, I just feel that I can improve. I'm looking at that the B&W html 1 or 2. I have heard very good things on these center channels.

RichardMA

Second Unit
For the price, B&Ws provide good, neutral sounding voices
devoid of some of the colourations that plague lesser
speakers. IMO, human voices should be the main judge of
centre channels. Does the voice sound natural?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I don't know what price range you are looking at, and my suggestion may be more of a lateral move for you. The Paradigm Studio-CC is definitely one of the best centers anywhere south of $1K. Not only is it very neutral and projects natural sounding dialogue, but it blends with any pair from the Studio series extremely well. I have never felt the need for a 3rd Studio 20 to act as a center.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Exactly how is your center channel positioned? On top of your TV? If so, where is the front of the speaker relative to the front of the TV, and how does it rest on the TV? Interactions due to the TV can affect the sound.

Doug

itai

Stunt Coordinator
I second that Studio CC ref, it's an amazingly neutral speaker, i'll never change it!, well, maybe sometime...

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
I would look at Ariel CC3 or B&W HTM-1. Rocket has a new interesting center for much less. Would like to hear a subjective review of the Rocket line from someone other than an owner. IMO some brands (to which I won't mention) are almost marketed by some on these forums.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
The best center channel speaker is one that is identical to your left and right speakers. If this is not possible (and it seldom is), a three way design (a tweeter on top of or below a midrange driver with two bass drivers flanking them) is best. Revel, Aerial, Vienna, B&W, NHT, and ATC, among others, all make such a speaker.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
The B&W HTM1 is one of the best there are. Another perhaps even better choice would be the Revel Voice, however its price is really high.

Anyway, you might not want any of these since as good as they sound alone, they might not be timbre matched with your existing front soundstage.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I second Timbre matching.

My question is what type (guage) of speaker wire are you running to the center. Perhaps a thicker guage will give you better base that may reduce the "hollow" sound.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Has anyone even officially reviews the rocket center channel? I haven't seen any published reviews, just impressions from users, which I generally take with a pinch of salt...heck, those speakers are so new, I doubt many even own one.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
It's difficult to hear the Rockets without owning them at this point since they are so new, however I have the Rocket center (Bigfoot) and the other Rocket speakers, so if anyone is interested in my impressions as a slightly biased owner, just ask and I will happily chime in.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I have to agree with the paradigm studio cc I demoed many center channel speakers in my system including b&w htm2 I had it in my home for a two weeks and although a very nice center the studio cc sounded very good compared to the htm2 if I had to choose one not knowing the price i would have chosen the studio cc and it was half the price too! the build quality is awesome:emoji_thumbsup:
In the end It all comes down to what you like the best so my advice is demo these centers in your own home! but these are definitely some to start with
Good luck Bob

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
The Paradigm Studio CC is the best I've heard aside from that massive Krell CC that was on display at HE Expo 2002!! Mine sounds fantastic and it's not even broken in yet.

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
granite_g,

definitive technology CLR3000.
best center speaker i have heard to date and i hear a lot.

this thing is a killer, very musical and all the muscles you need for ht.

regards, holger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks