What's new

WHo has Studio Lab speakers? What do you think? (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Chris, are you saying you have "upgraditis?"

I thought you liked your PSBs! I think they're good speakers, and recommend them in that price range.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'm saying I'm noticing the difference between sealed speakers and a loudness control or good bass control at 50hz and ported speakers and no loudness control or lousy bass control at, I suspect, a lame 100 hz.
I like listening to music at lower volumes sometimes. I'm not always in the mood for higher volumes, BUT, I'm always in the mood for bass, so even at lower volumes, I like the bass to be full. The loudness control on my older technics did this along with the sealed speakers.
I know I have my monster subwoofer, it's just that Im coming to terms with the fact that I spent twice as much on my PSB 6T's as I did on the old Bostons and they don't seem to produce the low end of the Bostons. On top of that, the marantz has no loudness control and a lousy bass control and even if they were good and effective, I can't use either of them in source direct.
I'm not really willing to give up the efficiency and clean sound that the PSB's do produce over the frequency range that they do cover, and also, the ported speakers have less distortion over that range, so I just want to find a way to use the front speakers and my subwoofer blended together the best while the receiver is in source direct. I still like to check out other speakers and stuff regardless. I thought I could get speakers with more low end then my Bostons and I feel I may not have done that.
Once I've finished testing and comparing, I'll know for sure. Once I sell the old Bostons :frowning: I'll be unable to compare anymore anyways! Sealed vs ported. Man, I never knew the trade-off were so distinct. Its funny that the sealed speakers like my Bostons should have more distortion above their lower frequency limit, but less below that point. The ported speakers on the other hand, have less distortion above their lower frequency limit, and then much higher distortion below, along with a much steeper drop off. So I guess, when I didn't have as subwoofer I had a bit more low end with the Bostons at the expense of overall bass distortion, while now, I have a subwoofer and the PSB 6T's and porbably much less distortion overall then if I used the Bostons with the subwoofer.
Heheh. I'm nuts with this stuff. Oh well. Just searching for better sound. Always :)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I don't think there is a solution - everything is a tradeoff :D
What if you traded in your 6Ts for the 7PTs? They have a powered woofer, right? How much more $$ are they?
I still don't have a sub, and I definitely need one for HT. There is an Adire Audio authorized dealer in Mississauga that I've been in contact with, and I'm definitely leaning towards the Rava. I like the bass response of the MS-906s for music though, and wouldn't use a sub for 2-ch stereo.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the 7PT's are an interesting idea but probably 50% more money. I might check them out some time out of curiosity, but I don't know if there's much point. I'd basically have two subwoofer amps! How could I switch between using the external subwoofer and not using the subwoofer? The 7PT's go low, but they don't go as low as the Mirage :)
I'd love to sit down with a speaker manufacturer and have them custom design a monster speaker for me. I'd go back to the old FULL TOWER. My speaker would be like this:
1 inch tweeter
6 1/2" midrange
2 x 10 inch woofers SEALED (they'd be mounted in the bottom of the tower on either side bipolar to reduce cabinet vibrations and shake.) Whoa. That'd be pretty rocking!
That would give you LOTS of bass. Heheh. No need for a subwoofer there :)
Yep, I know there's always a trade off somewhere. I'll just keep listening and comparing stuff. TV is a great source for doing rough bass auditioning. So many TV shows have LOTS of bass. Its really weird. Anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks