What's new

Who has seen the movie Shiri? (1 Viewer)

Frank Roe

Auditioning
Do you mean the korean movie? This one is great. It's a little bit like a korean version of Nikita. I saw the HK-DVD.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I haven't seen any of the DVD versions of Shiri, but I did see it in theaters and reviewed it here (it's the last of the three reviews).
M.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
My parents are Korean but live in North America so its been a long time since they've seen a Korean movie. When they saw Shiri, they couldn't help but notice the style was very reminiscent of hollywood.

The above link that reviews it mentions hollywood recycling which is probably an accurate description.

But that's not too say its bad. I liked it, it has its moments that remind you of John Woo or Michael Bay.

I would definitely rent it. Like the review said, lots of carnage and bullets flying...

Ernest_T

Grip
There are several DVD versions of "Shiri" out there; the HK version (meaning realeased for the HK market) is in DD but I have seen a Korean version which comes with DTS. Regarding the movie, IMO, it is the movie that sort of put Korea in the movie-making map in Asia. Shiri was the first movie that became really popular in Hong Kong. Japanese movies used to be the most popular Asian movies in Hong Kong, after the HK movies, of course, but now, Korean movies have taken over.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I just got this last week and am looking forward to seeing it. I have friends who have seen it already and they said that I would really enjoy it(along with a another movie I picked up called JSA).

Brian E

Screenwriter
The one to get is the R0 2 disc DTS set from Korea as I hear the US release has dubtitles :frowning:

YANG

Screenwriter
"It's a little bit like a korean version of Nikita."

In some way...yes.But it is still different from NIKITA.The lady killer is a spy from an extremist group,fallen in love with a policeman,make use of him and in the end sacrifice him so that she can carry on with her political assasination.

The film is not only popular in HK,it is also the longest running film in SINGAPORE.The film's plot is far more better than another asian production of NIKITA wanna be...

Before you take in this disc,make sure that the version released in R1 is not an edited version,which other asian made films had suffered when released in america...

Recommended.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I asked about this a while back and was informed that it is not edited. I wish they hadn't dubtitled it though.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Columbia Tri-Star gave the complete uncut film a brand-new anamorphic transfer and even added a scene back into the film. The only problem is that the subtitles are not correct. They are dubtitles, meaning subtitles of the English dubbed soundtrack. The subtitles are not translations of the Korean soundtrack.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that Columbia Tri-Star still used dubtitles.

Which is why I have kept my Korean version.

Both the Korean and U.S. releases are anamorphic widescreen. The CTS version though looks a bit better and is longer than the Bitwin release.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to get the Columbia release. The only change that was made was that a brief title card was added explaining the political climate in Korea. It is the same version of the movie that was shown in theaters recently.

Matt

YANG

Screenwriter
Originally i had doubts on the release of SHIRI from R1,i tried not to include that into my purchase list.Fearing that CTHV will edit the film just like its previous release of HK flicks,GORGEOUS and WHO AM I for example...

Now i can rest my worry...too bad i had missed the DTS release several months back...

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I don´t know where to get the movie.

Were I usually Buy my movies, (Play.com) doesnt seem to have it!

That means I have to buy it from the Us or Canada and then I have to pay all these stupid taxes and custom fees..

Has anybody seen this movie in Europe?

Thomas Rassinger

Auditioning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks