Who has satellite radio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan_Lim, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

I'd like to know two things:

1) What's the sound quality like? Is it comparable to FM radio or is it much better and comparable to CD quality?

2) I presume XM radios hook up to a receiver via analog RCA cables. If so then with a cassette deck, MD unit, etc .... it would be possible to record programs then wouldn't it?

2. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Allan,

>>1) What's the sound quality like? Is it comparable to FM radio or is it much better and comparable to CD quality?

I have XM and I would put the sound quality above FM radio and below CD sound. One area of improvement over FM is in the bass response. Plus no static. I still give CDs a slightly higher rating.

>>2) I presume XM radios hook up to a receiver via analog RCA cables. If so then with a cassette deck, MD unit, etc .... it would be possible to record programs then wouldn't it?

The Sony unit that can be used either at home or in the car can be used with RCA cables and thus it can be recorded. Sony is about to release a newer version of their unit and the first models are being closed at at some Best Buys and Circuit City for $199 now.

I bought the Sony car system. I don't recommend buying Sony's home kit, I don't think it is worth the bucks. You can buy the Sony AC adaptor and use the same antenna or do like I did and buy a Terk antenna for the car instead.

Glenn