Who has CATS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The two-hour widescreen DVD edition of the Broadway show is one song running into another. Is this an accurate representation of the show? I never saw it, but am interested in buying the disc unless it is just a revue.

2. andrew markworthy

Pedantically, it's a London show which transferred to Broadway. The DVD is a fair representation of the stage show, with a couple of exceptions, notably, the absence of the whole section after Gus the Theatre Cat (however, this has been altered before - e.g. The Ballad of Billy McCaw which was in the original stage show was replaced by a mock operatic scene when I saw the stage version again some years later). The music to Mungojerrie and Rumpleteezer is different from the original stage version as well (and much worse, IMHO). However, for all that it's a fair representation of the show.

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I agree with Andrew - a very fair representation of the show as it was when filmed (AFAIK the excised bit after Gus the Theatre Cat has been excised from the Broadway show for several years now). As for Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer... from the making of part of the disc (rehearsals) it looks like the entire number was filmed, but for some odd reason it was edited to remove two verses (and very obviously too).

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter