Who has Beach Spikers? Is it good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

OK - moment of truth.
    I am returning Street Poop (sorry, Street Hoops) today and I am considering picking up Beach Spikers for the GameCube.

This is an important decision, because I don't have a GameCube yet, and I'd have to get one of those, also.

I have some questions about the game, and about the GameCube:
    How is the gameplay of Beach Spikers? I've read the online reviews, which rate it at around 8 / 10, and I've seen a review for it on Tech TV's Extended Play, which rated it 3 / 5. (I was surprised at that.) To those who've played it, how would you rate it?

Would this game be enjoyable for both sexes to play? I'd really like something my wife could play with me.

Is the WaveBird controller any good? It's offically licensed, isn't it?

Would this purchase be worth it? I'm talking about the GameCube purchase, mainly. I'd hate to waste $200.

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Chris,

I have the game, but unfortunately, I've yet to play it. I just don't have the time right now - literally. My only saving grace is that it's made by Sega and they did an outstanding job with the Tennis game. I read thru the Beach Spikers manual last night and it looks very basic (ie. easy to play) and offers some good variety. You can create a team, select a default team and carry them into the World Tour mode. The only thing Im not sure of is how you improve your players attributes. Im not sure if you gain experience points from a tournament or if you can practice different drills ala Virtua Tennis.

Once I play, I'll give you my feedback. Honestly though, I don't see a game out there for the GC that screams BUY ME... especially if you have to buy the whole system and some controllers too. If Im not mistaken, there's another beach volleyball game coming out soon either for the PS2 or XBOX.

3. Rob Varto

Chris,
    This might help...
    http://forums.operationsports.com//u...b=5&o=&fpart=1
    I guess Im going to keep mine. You don't get a lot of options when it comes to volleyball. It's one of those quirky titles that just doesn't get enough respect (boxing, tennis, bowling come to mind).

4. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I've heard good things about it, but I don't see it as a "system seller." Isn't it supposed to be coming on PS2 eventually?

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

6. Chris Rock

I did get it. It's awesome, and the best part is my wife loves it. She played all the way through the World Circuit mode last night. We didn't go to bed until 1 oclock in the morning.

7. Rob Varto

8. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I just played Beach Spikers at my buddies house last night...nothing really special but a decent game IMO.

It took awhile for me to get use to the movements of the players and the camera angles are really not that well done.
    A suggestion I have for anyone who plays it, pay attention to the "overall" court view at the bottom of your screen. It'll help you keep track of your players when they are not shown. The views change around so much on the actual court it's difficult to see all 4 players at one time. Setting up proper blocks and attacks can be quite a task.
    All-in-all we teamed up and kicked just about every team's butt together for about 2 hours until we turned the difficulty all the way up.

I only played the game once so I'll save final judgement for later but I'd suggest renting before buying on this title.

As always, these are just my opinions so take em as you will.

Brian

9. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

:b
    Duh,
    didn't pay attention enough to see ya already bought the game.

Well I'm glad you guys like it.

Does any of you know wether you can play 1p and 2p togehter against the CPU teams all the way through a tournament mode?

Brian

10. Chris Rock

11. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Can anyone comment on how this game looks stretched on a 16:9 tv in progressive scan mode? I'm worried the ladies might look oddly shaped to the point of distraction. This ain't Mario, where a stretched ass is... more acceptable.

Pieter

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

A full stretch looks awful, but I think all 4:3 games look awful in a full stretch. However, I think the game looks best in the combo zoom/stretch mode (Wide Zoom on Sony, TW1 on Toshiba). The character bodies are too tall and skinny on the correct 4:3 image, but look just right after stretching just a little bit.

-Dave

13. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

So I got the game, went through World Tour Mode and got something extra in the Edit mode. But I can't seem to edit my current team, do I have to start with a brand new team to take advantage of my new options? I think it's just suits and hair styles or something like that, but it doesn't seem fair that I'd have to create a whole new team.

Pieter

14. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

Best Buy now has this title for $30 new, so I might pick it up. [​IMG]

15. EdR

EdR Second Unit

16. Steven M K

Steven M K Auditioning

If you like Virtua Tennis on DC, I think you will like this game. It has what appears to be simple, two button gameplay that turns out to be pretty deep. The camera can be a bit of a frustration, but you'll get used to it.

Picked it up at Best Buy for $30 - a bargain IMHO.