What's new

Who has Ascends here? (1 Viewer)

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW,

I've had the chance to compare HSU to SVS a while back. To me, neither sub one-uppded the other in terms of sound quality, they were both excellent for music and HT. For me it would be more of a decision of what output I want and what I want to pay.

If you get a VTF-2 at a discount if you buy Ascends, then it seems like a no brainer if you want a sub for your speakers. Does Ascends carry the VTF-3?

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,

Ascend does also sell the VTF-3 as an option, but you have to call to get the pricing on those packages. Maybe Curtis can chime in on how much the package pricing on the VTF-3 is?

Victor

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I actually went straight to Hsu Research in Anaheim and bought a "B" stock VTF-3. I also bought my 170's and 200's from Hsu as well. No shipping...but I did have to pay tax. With the amount I saved, it was a no brainer getting the VTF-3 instead of the VTF-2.

If you are in the LA area, and thinking about a Hsu sub, driving to Anaheim, listening to the Hsu subs, meeting Dr. Hsu, and seeing the small operation, is more than worth it.

If you are interested in "B" stock, I would call Hsu Research directly.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Thankfully, I don't have a wife to convince but when I told my girlfriend I bought a new set of speakers to sample, she did yell at me

You're not married and she is doing this? Don't marry her UPGRADE NOW.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the Ascend club Peter! Glad to hear that you're enjoying your 170s, CMT-340c, and VTF-2. I own a 5.1 system (4 CBM-170s, a CMT-340c center, and Hsu VTF-2 sub) and I have been extremely pleased with it's performance for both music and movies. I don't find the finish ugly, I prefer to think of the Ascends as running in "stealth mode". The Ascends don't draw attention to themselves visually, they sort of blend into their surroundings and do what great speakers are supposed to do- reproduce music accurately. Besides offering IMHO the best bang for the buck speakers, Ascend also gives an uncommonly high level of customer service. David and his staff are to be commended for their efforts in satisfying both their current and potential customer's needs. Someone mentioned earlier about the Hsu having "only" a 150 watt amp compared to the Rava running a 250 watt amp. You have to remember that the Adire is a sealed design that usually needs more power to produce the same sound levels than a ported sub like the Hsu would require. I'm not saying one is superior to the other, they are just two well-engineered subs that took different design paths to arrive at the same point.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Upon further listening, I'm even more impressed by the Ascends! I feel that the Aperions are hyperdetailed in the high treble, and have a slightly boxy coloration to the midrange. During some of the loud passages in Fellowship Of The Rings, the Aperions sometimes literally hurt my ears. The Ascends have a better balanced sound without compromising the detail, which I think is quite a feat for a low priced speaker. I actually feel that the Aperions would work better in a larger environment...they sound so dynamic and play LOUD without any strain. If my HT wasn't situated in a tiny room, I might even consider the Apes over the Ascends. Klipsch fans should definitely check out the Aperions because they'd find a lot to like.

Now back to the Ascends...anyone looking for a modestly priced speaker for both music and hometheater have to check out the Ascends. It's that simple:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks