Who has active speakers in their HT?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RichardH, Jan 17, 2002.

1. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Just wondering who is using active speakers in their home theater and what you think of them. I'm thinking that when I get the dough together to get something really nice, I'm just gonna get a pre/pro and active speakers, like Genelec or maybe M&K pro. Oh, subs would be SVS all the way, of course! [​IMG] I love the thought of no passive crossovers in my HT!! All amplifiers would be matched to the drivers by the manufacturer themselves! No wondering, "maybe I should try such and such amps for the fronts, etc, etc." Hmmm, I guess I'd want my pre/pro to have balanced outputs too. Well, there are are ways to add that if need be.
    Seems like once you got it set up, it would be nice and clean, with less equipment on your rack. Plus, if you need to upgrade for new formats, all you need to replace is the pre/pro.
    So, what are the systems out there with active speakers??

2. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

I think you'll find a lot of Paradigm Active owners, myself included. My front speakers are a pair of Active 40s and an Active/CC. I think they are fantastic speakers and were quite a bargin. Unfortunately, Paradigm decided to discontinue the Active line [​IMG]

3. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

4 Active-40 as front and rears ( no CC, it is music room with a fireplace). Sides are Studio-ADP, powered by Paradigm.

I like this setup - small, efficient, very nicely sounding. Cabling was a pain - I forgot to pull coax all the way around the room before closing basement.

It is very comfortig way to listen to music...

_zjt

4. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

I recently just upgraded to Active/40's for my mains. Great for music!

5. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Richard,

Since you mentioned Genelec (which are VERY good) I have a decent idea of your budget. If you're going to spend that much then you should make sure that you put ATC speakers on your list. They are one of the best speakers made in any price range (and they are expensive). You can also give the Meridian Digital Active speakers a listen but for my money the ATCs outperform the Genelecs and the Meridians by a good margin. While the Paradigm actives are nice they really aren't in the same league as Genelec, Meridian or ATC. Nor should they be, considering the price difference. Good luck!!

6. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hi,

On the subject of active speakers, anyone heard or know anything about Mackie, in particular the HR824?

Thanks,

Joe

7. Ron Alcasid

Are there any disadvantages using near field studio monitors like the Mackies for HT?

8. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I researched this avenue once before and it's still something I want to try someday. There's a couple of ardent pro speaker believers over at avsforum. From what I've read, the Mackie's are well respected. Supposedly, they're also THX certified, if that makes a difference to anyone.

Rich B.

9. Robert M

Robert M Agent

For all you fortunate active owners. What type of interconnects do you use? I assume that the distance from pre-pro to speakers will be longer than traditional available interconnect lengths. I am interested because due to space limitations, I am forsed to locate my mono amps up front with the speakers, and I am concerned with the selection of long interconnects.

Bob

10. Ron Alcasid

I am using the cables that came with Active 40s. They are about 25 ft. long, double shielded, use high quality conductors and have gold plated RCA connectors. They are even directional, although I doubt that has any benefits but very nice for freebie cables. I was quite suprised and pleased they were included in the box. I have no problems with them. If you need longer runs consider balanced cables.

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

W/ balanced cables you need balanced equipment right? Isn't that really expensive?

Oh, and thanks guys for reopening the wound? Screw Paradigm. I'll look elsewhere for my Active's now.

12. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yeah, you'll need equipment with balanced outputs/inputs if you want the cable run to be balanced. But, there are devices you can get that will balance an unbalanced signal for you. Genelec makes one that'll do 8 at one time, but I get the feeling it's probably pretty pricey.

There are other such pro audio devices you could get that would do the same thing. Might not look as clean, and you'd need to get a few depending on how many channels you want to do, but at least you could do it.

So, the Genelec box or whatever would be right with the pre/pro to balanced the signal. Then the long cable run to the speakers would be balanced!

13. Sasha_G

Sasha_G Agent

I heard the Mackie HR824 in a medium sized room, and it did VERY good for home theater. Blew me away, and its my favorite speaker now! [​IMG] I know musicians love this one, and it costs a lot less than other studio monitors.
    The limitations of many near-field monitors are not found in the mackies, as they have a very wide sweat spot and go up to 120 db. They even have a auto-power on/off option. Sound at its best.

14. marion.r

marion.r Extra

These folks are alledged to have ATC 100/150's in their studios...

Sony Music New York

Warner Bros. Burbank CA

Polygram Records

BBC -UK

Abbey Road Studios (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd...etc. etc. ) London

Greg Walsh (Producer Paul McCartney, Tina Turner etc.)

EMI Records

Polygram Records

Hit Factory studios, New York

Bob Ludwig (Mastering Studios)

Pickwick, Virgin, Hyperion, etc. Records.

Disney, The Vatican (yeah, THAT Vatican...The Pope) Boston Symphony, London

Symphony, San Francisco Orchestra, CBS/Sony, ABC........

Some Artists who use them:

Beatles, Rolling Stones (like I said) Beach Boys, Barbara Streisand, Paul

McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, Hans

Zimmer, John Williams (Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Arc) The Eurythmics, Krell,

Grateful Dead, Toto, Chicago ...the list seems endless. Everybody wants and

uses these speakers. In the studio and for those who are fortunate...in the

home.

Movies produced with them:

Lord of the Rings, Lethal weapon, Ghostbusters, Matrix....

To name a few..

15. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I also like the Dynaudio Acoustics line of pro-audio speakers (in both powered and unpowered versions).