Who gets to be a "Nielson counted" viewer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Bryan, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    How does one become a Nielson person/household? Is this randomly offered to people, or can you ask/apply to have your voice count?

People have been saying that the save FARSCAPE campaign should try to get the ratings up for the second half of season 4 by getting more people to watch. However, if the more people watching don't have Nielson boxes, what good will that do?! What would be helpful is to have fans themselves become Nielson members and have their viewing habbits count. I assume it's either not possible to choose to become a Nielson member or difficult. But I don't really know to much about how it works. Can anyone who really knows explain?

2. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I did this for a while. One day they sent me a kit in the mail, right out of the blue. It was for a limited amount of time, and it was a major pain in the butt because I channel surf so much (this was back when you had to fill out your diary by hand).

3. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

If i remember correctly there is on the average about 2000 people who are doing Nielson ratings at any one time.

I think it would be a lot easier gathering this type of information through the digital satillite receivers or digital cable boxes.

I wouldn't mind having that info transmitted to Nielson, just because I watch some shows that don't end up staying on very long.

I don't think it would be that difficult for a receiver to gather that info throughout the day then in the middle of the nite have the receiver dial an 800 number and dump that info into a database.

I always hoped for getting a more accurate count of people who do watch tv shows, instead of relying on choices of 2000 people.

As for you question, I don't believe you can sign up for the service, its something they do randomly.

Paul

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I have always wanted to be a Nielsen family, since no one they send the boxes to seem to watch my shows

In reality, they are also getting ratings info from your cable system, as they track what you're watching to they know what channels they can axe if they need bandwidth

5. Michael St. Clair

From their website:

6. Mike Monti

Mike Monti Stunt Coordinator

My Parents are a Nielsen Family. It's actually quite a pain, as my parents don't have cable boxes the Neilsen company had to open up their TVs (three of them) and solder wires internally. Also telephone wires have to be screwed into the wall so they may not be removed. The reception has been off ever since it has all been connected.

The period is for two years, with apparantly an option to renew (which they will not be doing as they want to get a new TV and don't want it taken apart). Also I believe each tv represents 3000 homes.

They seem to have been selected because they joined some free sample thing many years ago (my dad loves free stuff) where they get free cerial and are asked to report how they like it and asked to try new detergents and compare them to ones they are currently using.

Sadly they don't get the Sci-fi channel. I wanted them to put at least one tv on Babylon 5 daily (more when Legend of the Rangers was on).

7. Michael St. Clair

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

9. Michael St. Clair

10. Lew Crippen

11. Lew Crippen

12. Michael St. Clair

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'm pretty sure they take this into account in their statistical analysis.
    I did the "Fill out by hand" thing last year for two weeks. I was amazed how little TV I really watch, I felt bad for not watching some shows I wanted to stay on the air... but I decided to be honest and didn't write them down. [​IMG]