What's new

Blu-ray Review Who Framed Roger Rabbit Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
bryan4999 said:
Also, the fourth disc in the last season of MARY TYLER MOORE, they didn't want the disc back, just sent the corrected disc in a white sleeve.
Oy, what was the problem with that? I've never looked at my copy yet....

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A little late to the ROGER RABBIT party, I picked one up yesterday at a local Wal-Mart. It was the only one in the store, and was in the taller DVD-style package. I didn't know they were packaged two different ways.

Anyway, the DVD is indeed cropped at 1.33:1, so I've initiated email contact thanks to the posted picture earlier in this thread. We'll see what happens. I care about the DVD as I'm not Blu-ray capable everywhere yet. So if I want to take it along with a laptop, or watch it in another room, I'll want a proper DVD version.

We watched the Blu-ray last evening and thought it looked and sounded great - a very natural and film-like experience.

Harry

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, my first post at HTF's new home.

I just watched this movie and noticed something that struck me as odd. During the closing credits when they the entire cast list rolls up, there was no credit for Jessica Rabbit. The other cartoon characters were credited with their voice actors, but not Jessica. Why is that?

When Jessica makes here first appearance in the movie and the Ink and Paint Club, I was thinking that this movie would have been a great candidate for conversion to 3D. Seriously.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kathleen Turner has never been credited with voicing Jessica in the original film (she does get credited in the shorts). She must have had some reason for not wanting credit all those years ago.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Matt Hough said:
Kathleen Turner has never been credited with voicing Jessica in the original film (she does get credited in the shorts). She must have had some reason for not wanting credit all those years ago.
Yes, IMDB lists Turner as "uncredited."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
She was so famous then that it seems unlikely. Once she starts talking there's no doubt who it is.
Right, when the film was released, without a doubt, you recognized who's voice it was.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Moe Dickstein said:
Oy, what was the problem with that? I've never looked at my copy yet....
The fourth disc of the Mary Tyler Moore Show 7th (last) season final episode had syndication credits at the end, rather than the cast curtain call that was included in the original broadcast. Hopefully, you can still get the replacement disc; it was great to see that again all these years later.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The prepaid postage from Disney came within a week and I mailed off the DVD on Tuesday. We'll see how long it takes to get the replacement.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I received my order today from Best Buy. There was no cardboard slipcover (which I seem to recall seeing pictures of) but the DVD was widescreen not full-frame.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
^^^When I called Disney, they said a small shipment of full screen was sent out before being replaced.

The full frame dvd catalog number starts with DVDL in the inner circle of the dvd.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Steve Tannehill said:
I received my order today from Best Buy. There was no cardboard slipcover (which I seem to recall seeing pictures of) but the DVD was widescreen not full-frame.
Mine from Amazon didn't have the slipcover either, but I'm not all that worried about it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Jason_V said:
Mine from Amazon didn't have the slipcover either, but I'm not all that worried about it.
I used to keep the long boxes from CD's. Slipcovers are a hard habit to break.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Completely understood. I'm still like that, when I can. I'll make sure the corners of the slipcovers are in good shape and go through a whole rack of discs to find a good one. But when you're ordering online, it's a complete crapshoot.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It took Disney seven days just to get me a mailer so I can return the DVD. It arrived yesterday in the mail. Hopefully the return process won't take as long.

My DVD-sized combo-pack came with a slipcase. I keep the slipcases as they usually have something a little extra in the way of embossing or foil/shiny artwork. This one's got the title and frame around the picture embossed.

Harry

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I give the extra DVDs to the children's wing of the hospital my Dad works at, but I haven't bothered to look at whether my DVD is 1.33:1 or not. I'm guessing it is.

As for the transfer, I don't see how it could be improved short of re-scanning and re-combining the effects shots (unlike the past hybrids, they shot some of the effects shots in VistaVision to deal with the generation loss from the opticals; with that in mind, why couldn't they have just shot the whole film in VistaVision?).

The shorts looked pretty good; Trail Mix-Up looked better than the others probably because it used the CAPS system; I didn't see a speck of grain on it.
Here's the background on the real-life "Red Car" for those who are interested (one thing I'd like to see Disney do in its extras is talk about the historical backgrounds of their films' plots, where applicable):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
MatthewA said:
As for the transfer, I don't see how it could be improved short of re-scanning and re-combining the effects shots (unlike the past hybrids, they shot some of the effects shots in VistaVision to deal with the generation loss from the opticals; with that in mind, why couldn't they have just shot the whole film in VistaVision?).
I think the whole point of shooting the FX shots in VistaVision (which ILM did on a number of other films) was that the finished shots, once composited, more closely matched the quality of the native 35mm material. If they'd shot everything in the larger format, the jump in quality would have been more noticeable (and it would have been much more expensive, anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks