What's new

Who Frame Roger Rabbit DVD Bonus Passed by the BBFC! (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
00:05:28:19 | DELETED SCENE - THE PIG HEAD - Sc.101
00:04:49:04 | BENNY THE CAB
00:03:12:04 | TOON STAND-INS
00:03:05:18 | SPLIT-SCREEN COMPARISON
00:10:54:00 | WHO MADE ROGER RABBIT
00:36:35:04 | BEHIND THE EARS
01:39:27:16 | WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT

is the Who Framed Roger Rabbit running at 1:39:27 the actual movie, or some bonus feature. The whole submission is classes as 'WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT - DVD BONUS COMPILATION'

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I think the 1:39.27 is the running time of the movie, the PAL version anyway.
Typical that they'd bring out a special edition now - I only bought the standard edition from Japan a couple of months back :frowning:
Looks like this is one disc I'll be doubling up on

James Reader

Screenwriter
I presume the special edition is coming out around the same time as the R1 Vista series.

Of course, the Vista series seems to have more supplements listed - but it's possible the Roger Rabbit cartoons shorts could still be included as I believe these have all been classified in the past (weren't they released together on a single VHS tape in the early 1990's?).

Of course, I don't know off-hand if a widescreen release of Who Framed Roger Rabbit was ever released, but if so, it seems strange the film is being re-submitted.

Could this be an indication that the film will be released totally uncut and uncensored?

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The Japanese region 2 edition is in 1:85:1 widescreen. ( It's not anamorphic though )
And the amount of special features = 0 :frowning:

James Reader

Screenwriter
Hi Jussi

Now that I think about it, I think the "01:39:27:16 | WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT" entry is certifying a commentary track rather than a new cut of the film. (Although commentaries have always been submitted seperately in the past, I think)

Still, fingers crossed, eh?

James Reader

Screenwriter
This is now (almost) available to order in the UK from Blackstar
Based on the BBFC certifications, the only things missing from the 2 disc VISTA R1 release will be the P&S version of the film and a set-top game or two.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
The baby herman finger scene is mising from r1 so perhaps it is intact for r2.
Does anybody know for certain
:D

James Reader

Screenwriter
Oscar (although I know you have seen this) Julian's post, posted on the WFRR Review thread is quite perplexing: Here
I had an opportunity to see some of the restored version of the film last week (albeit in a 4:3 version, and not on DVD), and the "finger" scene was definitely intact.
I say perplexing because I always assumed the UK version would be widescreen! After Julian's comments I'm not so sure... After all the single disc Atlantis:The Lost Empire was P&S, as was their single disc release of Sleeping Beauty :frowning: Now, I'm not so sure. Which of course means that missing both versions on the UK release could be a drawback.
We know Disney UK does use different transfers for movies occasionally - Their Beauty and the Beast Collectors Edition includes the missing 'In Association with Silver Screen Partners IV' credit at the start for example. And there is some debate as to the origin of the Sleeping Beauty master used (their is a featurette on the restoration on the European 2 disc versions, but during the movie the colours seem to flare and fade at certain points which some people have used to argue the recent restoration was not used).
Being as the original 'The Rescuers' has never had a US DVD release, it is also possible that this was created from a non-US sourced master. Does any one fancy flipping through in slow motion to see if the single frame topless woman exists on it?

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm hoping the UK version is anamorphic widescreen and unedited since the region 1 version will be sanitized by Disney for our protection. :rolleyes:If it is, it will be my first imported DVD.

James Reader

Screenwriter
The UK release has been pushed back until 19th May 2003, even though Disney UK obviously have the disc's assets (see certification at the top of this thread) :frowning:
You know, it's almost as if they want people to import :)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well looks like the rest of Europe is still getting their Roger Rabbit in March? Why not the UK?

Do they really want to encourage people to import? I don't understand why the UK release would be delayed?

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I had another look at the "finger" scene, and am sad to report that I was mistaken. Although the thrusting motion was intact, the finger itself has been - ahem - digitally removed. I apologise if I got anyone's hopes up.

James Reader

Screenwriter
WHAT THE....!?
Buena Vista have announced that " Who Framed Roger Rabbit" will be released on June 2nd as a Woolworths exclusive (UK)
I cannot understand the logic of this at all! Not only does R1 and the rest of Europe get a yummy 2 disc set (with perhaps Europe having the best, being as there's no P&S version of the film) the UK gets a single disc release only available in one shopping chain months later? (and of course the exclusive nature of the release mean Woolworths can set their own price)
Looking at the specs and the BBFC classifications, it appears not even everything passed is on the disc!
As I said before, Buena Vista UK are practically begging people to import the R1 or other European versions. :frowning:

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Woolworths only?!
Well done Buena Vista - that's a nice fingers up to your Irish customers ( no Woolworths in Ireland and as UK discs are usually pressed for both territories, evidently no WFRR on sale in the Republic )
Looks like I'll be importing either the French or German edition - whichever is cheaper.
Idiots!

EDIT: Perhaps they mean Woolworths will just get special packaging or something? I've noticed HMV sometimes have discs with exclusive box art...

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Perhaps they mean Woolworths will just get special packaging or something? I've noticed HMV sometimes have discs with exclusive box art...
I think in the UK this will only be onsale in Woolworths. Other e-tailers are now starting to say unavailable. This has happened before as HMV exclusively sell the 2 disk untitled Almost Famous and a 2 disk Brotherhood of the Wolf (other retailers only have 1 disk versions).
Also in the past MVC have had some exclusives but only for a limited time (usually around 6 months) such as the New Avengers.

Hopefully in Ireland Sean another retailer will pick this up if you have no Woolworths.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks