Who flosses?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I just started again after who knows how long of never doing it. The first couple of times it released some nasty stench but after about a week or so of doing it every night, I notice I have next to no morning breath (or it feels that way anyway) and I wake up just feeling cleaner. The Listerine + brushing combo alone was not able to do this.

Just thought I'd share. [​IMG]

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm trying to start up again. i hate using regular floss, but i like those plastic hand-held doohickeys.

also, i'm not sure if it's true or not, but supposedly flossing can increase your lifespan. something about your body not ingesting all the bacteria or something???

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Count me in.. I am cursed with wimpy teeth.. so flossing is a must. I usually back it up with some ACT.

I'm a dental tape guy, myself... but for some reason it's really hard to find in these parts (along with more than one kind of aftershave.. but that's another thread).

I've often wondered why it's brush then floss rather than floss then brush.

4. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Floss guy here as well. I am one who does do the floss then brush method. For some reason it seems to make more sense. I always want to get the bad crap out from between my teeth first and then do the refreshing thing.

5. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    I floss every night before I brush. Within a week of being married, my wife was doing it too (5 years ago). It's not much trouble, and it's much easier on the gums to do it regularly instead of doing it a couple of times right before the checkup.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I just had a dental appointment today, and scored my second 100% in dental health in a row (overall, the trend for me in the past 5 years is at least 98% or higher), and it's due to brushing at least once a day, and flossing my teeth every single day. The dental exam just measures plaque build-up (none for me), and how deep their prodding tool goes into the gum areas for each tooth. If you get more than 3 in depth, it means your gums have bacteria present, which contributes to loosening up the tissue.

Bacteria takes 24 hours to take hold, so flossing once a day at the same time will ward off most bacterial growth in your mouth around your teeth. Once flossing becomes a habit, you're on your way to fighing tooth decay.

You can try to "floss before the dental exam" but the condition of your gums, and the presence of plaque will give away your lack of consistent flossing and brushing.

7. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

Heh. Perhaps you should become the spokesperson for the floss manufacturers of America...

"Floss once a day and you're on your way to fighting tooth decay."

-Mike

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I brush with my Sonicare (this makes my mouth at least FEEL cleaner than a standard brush ever does), floss with standard floss, and then swish with Listerine or the generic equivalent. The mouthwash rinse is to remove any particles that were dislodged in the flossing and to do a final bacteria killing (for those of you who are puzzled by the brush then floss order, this is my solution). I also have my own dental pick and do a bit of selective scraping. Am I a masochist? Maybe. [​IMG]

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, it's a simple thing to do, but people rather just not bother, and then when it's time to hear the dentist warming up his drill and going to town, how much flossing would that person be willing to do to not lose that tooth and have to deal with crowns and dental implants?

10. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Flosser here. I use the REACH dental flosser. I have a hard time flossing with the dental tape or string. The REACH tool makes it 100% easier for me.

I brush twice a day and floss at night. I rinse with Orange flavored Listerine or Tom's of Maine Fennel rinse.

[​IMG]

11. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Glide Satin Floss is where it's at. Makes flossing much easier.

12. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

My teeth are so jammed together that flossing was almost impossible. The floss would break off between teeth and pieces would remain stuck they were so tight. The process always left me in pain.

Then my dental hygienist introduced me to two types of dental floss that work great on tight teeth. They were Glide and I think Oral-B Satin Floss - Mint.

I was so impressed with finally being able to easily floss that I tried about 5 different high-tech flosses to see which was best. I’ve settled lately on Albertson’s Hi-Tech Mint Waxed dental floss. They frequently have sales that make it about one-half the price of Glide.

If any of you are skipping flossing because regular floss is virtually impossible to use then be sure to try Glide or one of the other high-tech flosses.

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Let me tell you something; when notice that your gums are rotting and being eaten away because there's so much food and crap between your teeth and you're not flossing, you quickly come to realize that flossing isn't that much trouble to have to do every single day. Unless you're completely dense and you miss the point entirely.

I put off flossing for many years until I looked in the mirror and realized that I wasn't about to lose my smile because of flossing once a day. Initially I hated the fact that dental floss shreds to ribbons and strands when I did floss. But my dentist turned me to a better variety of dental floss called Glide that doesn't break up.

Steven Soderberg had the funniest and truest line about flossing in his wacky movie Schizopolis:

"You don't have to floss all your teeth, just the ones you want to keep."

14. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I have a friend whose breath stinks so bad that I have a hard time sitting next to her or standing close and talking. It's that bad! I always wanted to tell her but was never sure how to approach the situation.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've started flossing again after many years of not doing it. I figure I kind of stopped going to the dentist (yeah, I know...) so I thought the least I can do is brush and floss every day. I've never had a cavity but usually just a mild gingevitus... I don't mind flossing though, come to think of it, it's not that hard and not that time consuming. I don't using anything other than waxed floss and my fingers.

Jay

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ditto that! you'll have to pry that bad boy from my cold dead hands! love that thing.

highly recommended!

(side note cameron) -- you have any idea how that thing charges in the base? there's no electrical contacts!

17. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Yeah, I floss at least twice a day and use a colgate electric brush. I too floss and then brush my teeth.

18. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

If you had to spend what I have to get those teeth replaced, you'd find SOME way to take better care of them!

I was blessed with good looking teeth but not so blessed as most of us in our area were raised on artesian wells that did not have flourine additives, therefore leaving us with soft enamels that eroded in our 20's and 30's necessitating LOTS of dental and crown work. Mega bucks...........

I now have to floss to keep the food particles out of my crowns!

19. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Probably a localized magnetic field which gets converted back into electricity (i.e. like a transformer).

20. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Another avid flosser here. I also recommend Gilde or similar. Makes it much easier. I floss first, rinse, then brush. When I relocated to Florida, I went 4 years w/o a dental visit. The hygienist was amazed how clean my teeth were. Cleaning was very quick, no bleeding gums at all.