What's new

Who feels bad for Lindsey Jacobellis? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Knowing the outcome as I watched her quarterfinal and semifinal runs I was definitely looking to see if she did that frequently or out of habit. She did often grab her board when catching air, but the infamous grab was definitely more of a method, cranking her legs out more than just a stablizing move. Personally I think it's spin for showboating. As usual, a person comes off better when she just admits to doing it. People may not respect the decision but they can respect one taking responsibility for it and its consequences.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it could be spin, who knows. but if she did do it for stability, she probably wouldnt have to do that for every turn. the last one was an especially large jump, so i dont know. it looked like showboating to me, but i've never snowboarded.

CJ

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Amen. :emoji_thumbsup:

Why am I not surprised that this happened to an American athlete? It seems like most of our Olympic team this time has plenty of ego and attitude, but is coming up short on actual results. Lindsey's showboating, Weir's hissy fit over accomodations and bus schedules, and Bode Miller....well, he speaks for himself (unfortunately :rolleyes:). The other countries seem to be taking it pretty seriously and tending to business.

No wonder so few people are watching the coverage. There's not a whole lot to feel good about.

Brent_H

Second Unit
I feel bad for her. Costas grilled her in the interview later - well, as much as Costas is able to "grill" someone. lol. It seems the was closer to admitting she showboated with him than she was in the earlier interviews. I don't remember exactly what she said to him, but she didn't exactly deny it this time.

When she really started to pull ahead, I thought, "man I hope she doesn't look back and see how in front she is...bad things will happen." Well, we all know what happened. If she wouldn't have looked back, she wouldn't had done method air, and she would have won.

It's something she will never forget. Yeah, she blew it. It was her fault. But you have to have sympathy for someone who will live with that forever. That sucks.

Nevertheless, that was a freakin' awesome gold medal race. So cool!

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
I don't buy the stabability argument. I watched finals live on CBC, and I'm pretty sure she was pumping her arms up in the air right before she did her jump/grab thing. I'd say she was "hot doggin".

I tried finding a video on the net, the only one i can find is here but i get a "this video may not be played in your country" message. Anyone have a link to a different video or a way around this?

cheers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That's pretty much my feeling, too. When a person showboats and it costs that person in the event, there's no reason to feel sorry for the person. The failure was self-induced.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this will put an end to snowboard cross in the Olympics. There's no need to bring these punk-ass x-gamers into the Olympics. :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't have kids, but I sympathise with you. As for whether winning the silver was great...well just look at her face there at the finish line while the winner is celebrating. She is devastated... no matter what she later said.

She has learned a life lesson at a high price. What I hope is that other American boarder's have learned one too. Hotdog or Gold...you pick.

Oh, btw, no one will ever have another chance to win the first women's gold in this event, ever.

One thing struck me. I know its a thrill to win a gold medal, but if I were the winning snowboarder, I'd be a little embarassed to celebrate that way. She was beaten and won on a fluke. It would have been real classy to go over to Lindsey and console her instead of celebrating.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think at the moment no one knew what actually happened. The commentators didn't know she pulled a method until they reviewed the footage; they thought she just fell from the jump. What little I watched of the event - and based on what happened to the other two competitors in that race - the possibility of winning based on an opponent's crash and burn (self-inflicted or no) is part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread